Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 3 December 2019 - Office noise

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read about why office noise annoys some people more than others:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191115-office-noise-acceptable-levels-personality-type

Vocabulary Top 10:

aural - relating to the ear or sense of hearing

boisterous - very noisy and active in a lively way

get riled up - to get angry, irritated or annoyed

vent - to express (an emotion) usually in a loud or angry manner

vexing - annoying or worrying

lodge - to become stuck or fixed in a specified place or position

clatter - a quick series of short loud sounds

obnoxious - unpleasant in a way that makes people feel offended, annoyed, or disgusted

aversion - a strong feeling of not liking something

override - to make (something) no longer valid; to have more importance or influence than (something)

Do you feel annoyed by sounds in the office?
What sounds annoy you the most?
How can you avoid or reduce this problem?

@VictorJosé @Sarraf @Alexa @hocon @Shiny03 @april @almog250 @Manar @Monik

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    I'm not sure if I'll feel annoyed by sounds in the office, because I've never worked in an office.
    However, I'll feel annoyed when I was working hard to take care for patients ( I worked in the hospital) and some colleagues weren't working but making jokes and laughing boisterously in the same room where the patients were.
    I couldn't forbid them from making fun when they had finished their job, but it would be nicer if they went to the relax room for that and not in the patient room.
    So I think, I'll be annoyed by sounds which don't suit with the other things in the same room.
    Like the sound of someone eating crisps in the cinema when the film is played is very annoying, but it isn't when it happens during a break.
    The sound of a printer in an office is not really annoying; it goes together one to the other.
    Noises of neighbours party after midnight will annoy us, because we need silence to be able to sleep.
    How can we avoid it? Be angry won't help, so for me, I'll just except that, be patient, try to get used with the noises and try to improve my AQ. :D
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

I'm not sure if I would feel annoyed by sounds in an office, because I've never worked in an office. However, I felt annoyed when I was working hard to take care of patients ( I worked in a hospital) and some colleagues weren't working, but telling jokes and laughing boisterously in the same room where the patients were.

I couldn't forbid them from having fun when they had finished their job, but it would have been nicer if they had gone to the coffee room for that and not done it in the patient's room.

So, I think I would be annoyed by sounds which don't fit with the other things in the same room. For example, the sound of someone eating crisps in the cinema while the film is playing is very annoying, but it isn't when it happens during a break.

The sound of a printer in an office is not really annoying; it goes together one with the other.

Noise from a neighbour's party after midnight will annoy us, because we need silence to be able to sleep.

How can we avoid it? Getting angry won't help, so for me, I'll just except it, be patient, try to get used to the noises and try to improve my AQ.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Open-plan offices can be fairly noisy even when there are screens between the desks.