Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 10 December 2019 - What is biohacking?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article which answered some common question about biohacking:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/6/25/18682583/biohacking-transhumanism-human-augmentation-genetic-engineering-crispr

Vocabulary Top 10:

extoll - to praise (someone or something) highly

fasting - to eat no food for a period of time

notoriety - the condition of being famous or well-known especially for something bad : the state of being notorious

realm - an area of activity, interest, or knowledge

game - (adjective) willing or ready to do something; showing a willingness to work hard, keep trying, etc. : showing determination

host of - a great amount or number of something

sensory deprivation - a process by which someone is deprived of normal external stimuli such as sight and sound for an extended period of time, especially as an experimental technique in psychology

relish - to enjoy or take pleasure in (something)

fob - a tab on a key ring that can be used like a key

snowball - to increase, grow, etc., at a faster and faster rate

Would you biohack yourself, and in what way?
Do you think we should be worried about biohacking?

@aladdin @Manar @Alexa @april @almog250 @Shiny03 @barcohen111 @Diakha @Acha

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    I don’t know If I would biohack myself...but the question is?
    Would we biohack ourselves because we are sick ?
    In this case , whatever it is our thinking , in a critical conditions I suppose almost everyone would try the impossible...and bio hacking could be a way.
    Worried or not, to save a life is always a good reason to try everything and the all possibile...

For that concern biohacking ourselves trying to improve what we are, maybe is also good, it is also to consider an evolution but sometimes it is simply another result of modern society where people try to use every possible way to avoid efforts in rising the best results.

Then my question is: if we improve without efforts, using something (maybe “mechanical”) which make improves another million people, where is the real evolution and where is instead the difference between us and the robots ?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    edited December 2019
    Could we say that using a pacemaker to help a heart working properly also a kind of biohacking?
    Or a heart transplant or a kidney transplant or limb protheses?
    Are they also a kind of biohacking?
    There is nothing wrong with these all, aren't they?
    So why I felt that something was not really right when I was reading the article?
    I think that the purpose of biohackers now is not only to cure an illness or a disability but just because they want to be better and better and to reach a total perfectionism and maybe finally to be immortal? At any price?
    Then there is something not really correct here, there's a hitch!
    I'm still thinking of that statement : "to changing your own biology by pumping a younger person’s blood into your veins in the hope that it’ll fight aging" :/ .
    Really? How young should your "donor" be? How young would you like to be?
    Could you also be able to avoid a car accident by applying biohacking? Otherwise all the hackings will be useless, won't they?

Maybe I'm wrong about these biohackers, because I haven't read the whole article, but we have to admit that people will always find a reason to justify their doing in the name of science or humanity.

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @Bassa - Here is your correction:-

I don’t know If I would biohack myself, but what if the question were?
    Would we biohack ourselves because we are sick?

In this case, whatever our thinking, and given a critical condition, I suppose almost everyone would try the impossible, and bio hacking could be a way.
    Worried or not, saving a life is always a good reason to try everything and anything.

For that matter, biohacking ourselves in order to improve what we are, could also be good. You should also consider evolution, but sometimes this kind of thing is simply another result of a modern society where people will use every possible way to avoid effort whilst giving the best results.

Another question that comes to mind is: if we improve ourselves without effort, using something (maybe “mechanical”) which improves another million people, where is the real evolution and what is the difference between us and the robots?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

Could we say that using a pacemaker to help a heart work properly is also a kind of biohacking? Or a heart transplant or a kidney transplant or limb prostheses?
    Aren't they also a kind of biohacking? There is nothing wrong with all these, is there?

So why did I feel that something was not really right when I was reading the article?

I think that the purpose of biohackers now is not only to cure an illness or a disability but just because they want to be better and better, and to reach a kind of perfection, and maybe finally to become immortal, at any price.

If that is the case, then there is something not right here, there's a hitch!

I'm still thinking about the statement: "to change your own biology by pumping a younger person’s blood into your veins in the hope that it’ll fight ageing".

Really? How young should your "donor" be? How young would you like to be?

Would you also be able to avoid a car accident by applying biohacking? Otherwise all the hacks would be useless, wouldn't they?

Maybe I'm wrong about these biohackers, because I haven't read the whole article, but we have to admit that people will always find a reason to justify what they do in the name of science or humanity.