Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Learn English in July

Social media and addiction

mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,418 ✭✭✭✭
Are we slaves to social media? Is it a good or bad thing? Do people get addicted to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (and there are many more platforms)?

In this day and age everyone seems to be using at least one of these platforms to share experiences or to chat with people. How rel are 'Friends' on Facebook however? Who are we reaching out to when we comment using Twitter?

There can be some very positive uses of social media, even Facebook however. Facebook is a great way to announce events for example. I use it particularly to hear about events my sketching friends in Liguria are organising, and to advertise similar events to local sketchers in my home area (Urban Sketchers Nice). However this is controlled in that in order to see these posts, you have to apply to join the group. And since no one these days wants to be overloaded with irrelevant information, it is unlikely too many people who are not interested will join.

Is there too much information overload these days?
Do we feel 'out of things' if we are not adding photos to Instagram or following our friends on Facebook?
How does Facebook manipulate us?

Is this how we will look in the future?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/what-people-look-like-2100-17247189

These are some of the things we will be discussing on Friday 13 December in Marianne's speaking session on Discord. https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6733/mariannes-friday-13-december-8am-chat-session-social-media-and-how-it-affects-us/p1?new=1

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped using social media a long time ago and never regretted this decision. However it's come to my notice that fewer people use forums and prefer social networking instead. That's a sad trend which means I'm bound to have no option left but to move to Facebook too.
    What an ugly picture of our future painted by the mirror. Unless you use instagram exclusively I can't see any reason our posterity will have a smaller brain. It may seem that amount of information held in our head is significantly less today than people used to store in the pre-internet time. But I believe that we've been inundated with too much online noise and inevitably some old information is being replaced. On the whole, the total amount of information stays the same.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Apart from this forum, I don't think I have ever use any others @Vok. I never use Instagram but use Facebook for a few reasons, whether it is to set up events or receive notifications about them (in particular the Urban Sketchers groups in Nice and Liguria) or to keep up with news, particular on particular topics.

In our discussion today it was interesting to find that even though most participants use things like Facebook, that it doesn't rule their lives. I think at least @taghried and @Shiny03 won't get hunchbacks from too much use of social media. I'm not so sure about @Alexandra though :) .
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭✭
    Me too, this is my unique forum. It's more than great, there is no fear of meeting strange people who wants to upload bad emotions.

We won't end up leading by a guru.
    I think there always needs to be a moderator or someone keeping an eye on any forum @Hermine. But LEO is a very comfortable environment and in my opinion, run extremely well.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    I was addicted on social media specifically on Facebook and Instagram.I was posted on facebook my thoughts,where am I at that moment, what am I doing? and uploaded a recording short time video with friends. But after my graduations, my priorities were changed, I made a fake account and deactivated the family one, and joined a group for seeking a job, another group for learning language and follow public figures.I took an online course through social media . so I think social media is an important tool and I can create a better online experience.

There is another platform it's (VR) virtual reality! it's for entertainment and connecting with people who has the same interest it's like other platforms by the way with different frame
    edited December 2019
    From our discussion last week, I found it interesting how everyone uses it in different ways @taghried. I have quite a few friends who continually ask me not to forget posting photos of the place I've visited. I am happy to oblige as I find it an extremely easy way to backup my photos. So if I lose my camera for example, as long as I've already posted the photos on Facebook, at least I haven't lost everything. This unfortunately wasn't the case once in China where I couldn't access the internet and so when I lost my little pocket camera, I lost photos I'd taken during my two weeks in China.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭✭
    I think more the younger generation is interested in telling where they are or what they do.
    Facebook, lots of single people like to share their life and only best selfies go online. It seems life is just fun.

It's so sad at each place where people assemble, it could be at train station , at the doc or anywhere else. Most of the people either old or young stare at their phones. It's horrible.
    In earlier times you could learn the latest gossip news at the doc's.
    I hate selfies, but in the old days, I guess asking someone to take a photo of yourself using a camera was similar, other than it would usually never be shown further than close family and stuck in a photo album.

I think it's sad people feel that they have to be connected all the time. I saw a father with his two lovely children at a restaurant today. He was busy checking his phone while the children, a boy and a younger girl, looked on a bit bored as he wasn't paying them any attention. They were very good kids however and just patiently waited until their mother came back. It was very refreshing to see that neither of them had phones. They were Russians from St Petersburg on holiday.
    I don't like selfies either, but sometimes I feel against asking random people in the street to take a photo of me on my phone @mheredge . I used to feel more secure passing on just a vanilla camera to a stranger.

Does Facebook save a photo quality after uploading?
    I think you can upload higher and lower quality photos @Vok. I very rarely ask people to take photos of me, but since my phone is nothing special, usually my camera would be more valuable.
  • anajshanajsh Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Selfies are made when there is no one to take photos. But in the selfies our face looks larger or broader means fatty because we take it from closer distance.
  • anajshanajsh Posts: 61 ✭✭
    @ mheredge This is the reality of today. All the people are busy with the phones social media like Facebook and what’s app mostly. I always try to take care of that when I take homework of my kid. I switched of television set also because if it is on then my kid pay attention their not focuses on study. But he has fond of mobile games. Now I engaged him in another activities more to avoid the games.
    It's a bad enough problem with adults, but social media, games and TV are even worse for kids as they usually have less self-discipline. @anajsh.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, thank you for sharing. :) I really need something like this today. Just imagine: there is a still unfinished attic in my house. It would be a nice small flat.
    Since an acquainted electrician was in my neighbourhood today I used this opportunity to talk to him about electric installation. Well, I tried to use it... I was wondering if it would be necessary to replace old copper wires to connect three-phase power. He was rather condescending explaining that if workers saw ladies they were inclined to cheat them. Sadly, he didn't answer my question at all, suggesting that this enterprise would be too expensive. Ha ha I didn't claim I planned to do this. I only asked a technical question.
    This is a very nice guy and he will help me check and improve this installation but his approach...
    Hm, perhaps I should give them one or two passages from Newton's Principia in Latin to translate and comment on. :D:D:D
    It's everywhere @Xanthippe - across most cultures though in many countries now at least the younger generation is starting to understand women have brains too!

Electrical work does tend to be expensive though. I've had to replace my fuse box (very expensive) and recently just getting some sockets replaced and fitted properly (no earth in some of them) was quite pricey. I expect to have to pay more again to get the kitchen sorted out when I get back.
    I do know that. :( My problem is that if I had to install a tankless electric water heater, one phase would be not enough. Anyway I would like to know how it works. :) And I am probably capable to understand this. :)
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes use forums because there are a lot of thematic forums where people can share a lot of useful information, be it on building a house, on autos, furniture, health problems, parenting and many many more. While on the social media, as far as I understand, many popular characters earn their popularity either with entertaining them or with trolling, usually both.
    @Xanthippe it's not a rocket science, I'm sure you can easily grasp the fundementals. I never understand why some people think they can look down on you just on the basis of their knowledge in a certain area. If you'd gave him a passage from the Newton's work, he'd have come up with some excuse for sure.
    edited January 22
    Xanthippe said:

I do know that. :( My problem is that if I had to install a tankless electric water heater, one phase would be not enough. Anyway I would like to know how it works. :) And I am probably capable to understand this. :)

@Xanthippe, chances are that your electrician doesn't want to take up the job and his reasons might have been purely economical or personal. But in any way you need to have a 3 phase electric supply to think about anything 3 phase. If you have it, you'll need to have the incoming switchgearbox upgraded, and, what's the biggest question, to lay a 3 phase (5 wires) cable to the boiler. All these are not going to be cheap, and the wiring is the key issue: it could ruin all the decoration if there were any, an expensive channelling might be necessary if the laying base is combustible. Actually, a 3 phase isn't of much sense in a dwelling, getting from the supplier a higher power limit on a 1 phase connection is the best option, if it's feasible.
    On the other hand, if you wanted from the electrcian to explain a physics textbook to you (I omit the local electrical wiring regulations book), I can understand his reluctance, and it has nothing to do with your gender. But a customer doesn't need to know all that, like a typical mobile phone user have a zero idea on the radiowaves propagation.
    Post edited by Practical_Severard on
    @Practical_Severard you are very knowledgeable. Many thanks. :) Well, the electrician is very nice and would like to help me but he obviously recoils at something more complicated. I was wondering if my uncle who had applied for three-phase connection had to exchange wires. As for me, I am interested in solar panels (the government's supports it) and if you have one-phase installation the power of photovoltaic modules can't exceed 3.68 kWp. The electrician said to me that it was too grand undertaking. Well, I do like the idea of free electricity.
    Perhaps I will install a single-phase inverter in the future. I haven't decided yet.
    There are many ways to skin a cat. I would like to know what possibilities I have.
    This is something for me: https://www.electronicshub.org/three-phase-electrical-wiring/

If I understand this correctly, an induction cooker or a tankless water heater should be attached to all three phases and e.g. lamps in a flat to only one. In this way, I would probably need only one or two three-phase cables. Hm...

Perhaps I will take the course: https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:ImperialX+dacc003+3T2019/courseware/0c7af1b0f20940f098cb304434c78f42/90fd1cc7b4ef48208dbb2f70fb4d404f/?child=first

The attic has been left unfinished. So there is no decoration to be ruined. :) My grandfather died in 1988 (he was working there and suddenly fell). Since then, not much has changed.
    edited January 22
    @Practical_Severard "But a customer doesn't need to know all that, like a typical mobile phone user have a zero idea on the radiowaves propagation. " - well, that's true. But on the other hand, just imagine: we had a roof in a very bad state and a Ukrainian worker suggested to my mum laying roofing felt on old metal sheets!!!. It would be cheap but these two materials react very differently and no professional would make such a mistake!!! So it is better to know what to choose. :)
    I'd love to have solar energy but living in an apartment building, I can't see everyone agreeing to switching.
    @mheredge, you have to invest at first but solar panels are becoming increasingly cheaper. And, for example, double glass panels are very durable, they can last even for 30 years. That said, I would avoid to install them on my roof. :) It is flat and I have had enough problems with it. :) Double glass panels could be perfect roofing for a terrace though.

@Practical_Severard, ha it says on my switch gearbox: 230/400V so perhaps no replacement would be necessary. Or perhaps I am an idiot. I am not sure. :)
    edited January 22
    Xanthippe said:

@Practical_Severard you are very knowledgeable. Many thanks. :)

Oh, don't mention it. I'm just a homeowner who's almost built a house (though I had to supervise many things myself.)
    Xanthippe said:

I am interested in solar panels (the government's supports it) and if you have one-phase installation the power of photovoltaic modules can't exceed 3.68 kWp.

This doesn't sound right. (Though I've never dealt with solar panels myself.) It could be a limit for using household wall sockets, because if the Polish mains voltage is 230V, (what is quite probable) it makes 16A strong current what's the limit for them. But one can make connections without them, as well as can use more than one invertor with a dedicated power line.
    Xanthippe said:

Well, I do like the idea of free electricity.

The equipment and works for a 3.68 kWp bills may rise for way more than 6,000 EUR, given their prices. How much would the government subsidise? And you won't have this energy all the time.
    Xanthippe said:

If I understand this correctly, an induction cooker or a tankless water heater should be attached to all three phases and e.g. lamps in a flat to only one. In this way, I would probably need only one or two three-phase cables. Hm...

That's right and you can have several three-phase lines as well as several one-phase ones. The electrician will need to balance the one-phase line loads and that's something to be avoided if to have a higher power limit on a single-phase connection is possible.
    Xanthippe said:

The attic has been left unfinished. So there is no decoration to be ruined. :) My grandfather died in 1988 (he was working there and suddenly fell). Since then, not much has changed.

That's one problem less. But if it's made of wood you'll probably need to lay your wiring in grounded metal pipes capable of isolating a voltaic arc. Though, I'm not aware of the local regulations.

Post edited by Practical_Severard on
    Xanthippe said:

But on the other hand, just imagine: we had a roof in a very bad state and a Ukrainian worker suggested to my mum laying roofing felt on old metal sheets!!!. It would be cheap but these two materials react very differently and no professional would make such a mistake!!! So it is better to know what to choose. :)

Yes, if you deal with this kind of people you need to know everything yourself as well as to be watching behind their backs all the time. That's the reverse side of the low price coin. We have a lot of such migrant workers here, though the worst are from Middle Asia. This doesn't mean that some of them are very good professionals.
    Xanthippe said:

@Practical_Severard, ha it says on my switch gearbox: 230/400V so perhaps no replacement would be necessary. Or perhaps I am an idiot. I am not sure. :)

This applies to the empty box only. The writing means it can be used to install the both one-phase (230V) and 3-phase (390V) stuff, but it's the stuff& the works what costs, not the box.

Xanthippe said:

This applies to the empty box only. The writing means it can be used to install the both one-phase (230V) and 3-phase (390V) stuff, but it's the stuff& the works what costs, not the box.

I see. :( Many thanks. :) I think the best solution would be to ask the provider. Or to check gas installation. It may be still working and I could choose a gas heater. I will see.
    edited January 22
    Xanthippe said:

I think the best solution would be to ask the provider. Or to check gas installation. It may be still working and I could choose a gas heater. I will see.

Why do you need a separate water heater? could you extend the piping from the current heater to the attic?