Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 16 December 2019 - Feeling hungry even after eating a big meal

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read some explanations about why we still feel hungry even a short time after eating a really big meal:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191127-why-do-you-feel-hungry-after-eating-a-big-meal

Vocabulary Top 10:

snoozy - combination of 'snooze' (to sleep lightly especially for a short period of time) and 'sleepy'; tired and ready to fall asleep

pang - a sudden, strong feeling of physical or emotional pain

overriding - more important than anything else

endocrine system - the collection of glands that produce hormones

counter-intuitive - different from what you would expect : not agreeing with what seems right or natural

inhibiting - to prevent or slow down the activity or occurrence of (something)

binge - to eat, drink, etc., too much in a short period of time

per se - by, of, or in itself — used to indicate that something is being considered by itself and not along with other things

cue - a sign that tells a person to do something

portion control - choosing a healthy amount of a certain food

Have you experienced any of the different situations they mentioned in the article?
What kind of food can you always find 'room' for, even when you are full?

@april @Shiny03 @filauzio @Alexa @Sarraf @VictorJosé

Comments

• SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    There is a book on nutrition and diets that now I can't recall its name. The author of this book believes that when we eat more than enough, our metabolism (and energy consumption) increases and we burn more calories because the body thinks that there is no need to store energy. On the other hand, when we are hungry and there's no food around, like what happens in famine, our body tries to store as much as possible because there's no guarantee that more food is going to be around later.
    Therefore, I think in addition to all the reasons that the article mentioned, our body's various responses to different amounts of foods can be another explanation for this phenomenon.
    By the way, I think I have a weakness for spaghetti, hence I always find room for it ;).
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 23 ✭✭
    We have to learn eat properly. Always in the same time, more vegetables and fruits, reduce fast food and snacks. And our body will get use to it. It’s like keep up good habits. It’s true, if we eat crisps during watching tv, our body will associate tv with crisps and require it.
    We have also try to eat slowly and concentrate on it. Then we’ll be sated quickly.
    There are a hundreds books about how to eat properly, diet, etc . It’s all only theory . Sweets I can eat always
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod

No books no professors can't change my desire for food.
    My brain and body know what I daily need to eat.
    I know my portion control, so when you serve me too little food I will still get hungry and if it's too big or not really my kind of meal I'll try to finish it as a matter of politeness and not willing wasting food. :D

Enough is enough, this statement is just the one I need.
    So I'll politely say:"No, thank you" for any other food if I'm full.
    When it's possible, maybe I'll politely ask whether I could take it home ... in a doggy bag. :D
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I found this article interesting. It's a relief to know it's not just me: I can eat very large meals and still feel hungry not long after. Meal times for me too, seem to trigger a 'time to eat' feeling which I don't think relates to how much food I've eaten during the previous meal.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @Sarraf - Here is your correction:-

There is a book on nutrition and diet, but I can't recall its name. The author of this book believes that when we eat more than enough, our metabolism (and energy consumption) increases and we burn more calories because the body thinks that there is no need to store energy. On the other hand, when we are hungry and there's no food around, for example during a famine, our body tries to store as much as possible, because there's no guarantee that there will be more food later.

Therefore, I think, in addition to all the reasons that the article mentions, our body's various responses to different amounts of food can be another explanation for this phenomenon.

By the way, I have a weakness for spaghetti, hence I always find room for it.
    @Alexa - Here is your correction:-

We have to learn eat properly: more vegetables and fruit, less fast food and snacks. Our body will get used to it. It’s like keeping up good habits. It’s true, if we eat crisps while watching TV, our body will associate TV with crisps and crave them.

We should also try to eat more slowly and concentrate on what we are eating. That way we’ll feel sated more quickly.

There are hundreds of books about how to eat properly, diet, etc, but it’s all theory. I can always find room for sweets.
    @april - Here is your correction:-

No books, or professors can change my desire for food. My brain and body know what I need to eat daily. I know about portion control, so when you serve me too little food I will still feel hungry, and if it's too much, or not really my kind of meal I'll try to finish it as a matter of politeness, and an unwillingness to waste food.

Enough is enough, this statement is just the one I need. So I'll politely say, "No, thank you" if I am offered more food, and I'm full, and if it's possible, maybe I'll politely ask whether I could take it home ... in a doggy bag.