Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Perfume

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,034 mod
Have you heard of Eau de Cologne (often 4711). How about Eau de Toast? Would you want to walk around smelling like toast?

http://www.bakersfederation.org.uk/eau-de-toast.html

Tagged:

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,792 mod
    Only if it is toast with real butter.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,710 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick to Chanel 5.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,034 mod
    Oh you have expensive taste @Mheredge.

What is your favourite perfume @April?

I wear Sanctuary for every day, and First when I go out. I sometimes wear One, but I won't bother replacing it, and somewhere I have an unopened bottle of Chanel 19.
    In fact, I don't wear any perfume. :)
    Maybe after cooking, especially after frying French fries, people would think that I wear French fries perfume.
    Or after a visit to a fish and chips stall? =))
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,925 mod
    edited March 2014
    I`m sometimes tempted to buy perfume when spring is around. I do not often buy one, but when I do I do not buy a cheap one. They just lift my tongoe.
    I also own a Chanel bottel sitting on my dressing tabel, it is called Mademoiselle.

Some years ago I was quite shocked by reading an articel about an newly invended perfume for aging people, it should cover their smell. I thought to myself am I in that state?
    My bottle of Chanel 5 is ancient @Lynne‌ , but I occasionally get it out for special occasions. It's lurking somewhere in a cupboard in my place in France, so I haven't seen it for quite a long time now.

But @april, wasn't that the point of perfume in the old days? To hide the smell either of the person or the surroundings?
    I've met a lot of old people and I don't think they smell bad. :(
    On the other hand, I've met a lot of young people too, nearby whom I need to hold my breath secretly. :)
    I know what you mean @april! Especially travelling, I wonder sometimes when some of the backpackers I meet have had their last wash. No wonder they sometimes get referred to as 'The Great Unwashed.'
    People used to think that disease was carried by bad smells.

Posies or tussie-mussies were carried to ward off the plague.
    edited March 2014
    One Belgian lady went to ... I think Cambodia. ... and stayed a couple of days in a Buddhist monastery.
    In that period she lived as a Buddhist nun (Do we call her "a monk" in this context?).
    She only had one clothing to wear for some days and for day and night.
    She lived as a nun, @april.

Here's a bonus correction: She only had one set of clothes to wear for some days and wore them day and night.

I don't think it would be very hard to live as a monk or nun in a monastery or nunnery @april. You'd be surprised how comfortable it is. Every monk has their own room, the dining room serves up their meals and they spend a lot of time either in the main hall of the monastery praying or receiving instruction.

Most monasteries have even more comfortable rooms for guests.
    Yes and more and more managers like spending their time in monastries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    edited March 2014
    Too hard for me. I'll pass on this one. BTW what does monastries smell like?
    Thanks for the correction @mheredge‌.
    I think living in monastries in Europe (as monks and nuns and not like managers who only spend a weekend there, I mean :) ) is tougher than in Asia.
    I think it depends where in the monastery you mean @xeb. In the main hall, it usually smells a little of butter lamps and incense, but in the monks' rooms, just like any room, anywhere else. I mean, neutral.

I don't think I've ever been inside a Christian monastery or nunnery in Europe @april. I visited a nunnery in Arequipa, in Peru though, and that didn't seem bad. Why do you think it would be so tough in Europe?
    I might be wrong about it @mheredge‌. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Butter lamps? I have no idea what yak butter smells like. Neutral is hard to figure out as well, it just makes me think of any hotel room.
    Yes, a hotel room hopefully smells pretty neutral (unless someone's been smoking in it). Butter lamps smell sort of musty. Not really unpleasant, but then again, not exactly fragrant.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    I think I'd rather walk about smelling of wood!
    Has anyone seen the movie called Perfume?
    If it's the one based on a Book, I think I did once.
    edited April 2014
    @Marianne, once I watched a film about `Perfume`. An insane young man killed several young women for getting their personal odor in flacons. He didn`t kill every woman no he picked up those who were young and beautiful.
    His purpuse was to create a special perfume the wold never has smelled before.
    Yup, that's the movie, @Hermine. I found it a little bizarre.
    I wish I was a bit like that character, because I think smell is one the second strongest sense.
    I have read the book and watched the film, both equally disturbing. I can't imagine how I would react to someone who smelt of nothing. Would I even notice?
    I think it would be really wicked!
    When I was pregnant my nose had worked perfectly well.

@Marianne, at the beginning of the film I found the man symathetic, because of his bad start into the world, but noticed after a time he must be insane. Especially the young woman who was cared my her father so well, got in his trap.
This discussion has been closed.