Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 17 December 2019 - Why do we spend more money on other people than ourselves?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article which explained different factors which cause us to spend more money buying presents for others than we would normally spend on buying something for ourselves:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191121-why-do-we-spend-so-much-money

Vocabulary Top 10 3:

splurge - to spend more money than usual on something

anticipatory - happening, performed, or felt in anticipation (i.e. before) of something

alluring - very attractive : having a quality that attracts people

Do you spend a lot of money on presents for other people?
If so, why? If not, why?
Do you normally buy presents just on special occasions, or do you buy presents at other times?

@april @aza @Alexa @Sarraf @Shiny03

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    It's nice when we get a present as a surprise.
    However, how many times and how many presents end up in a corner of a cupboard, still unpacked?
    It's sad, isn't it?
    I'll be very sad and disappointed to know that my gift doesn't really make them happy.
    It's not easy to find an appropriate present for somebody.
    So, nowadays I'll ask the person what he/she likes to get and I'll try to fulfill his/her wish, as far as it's possible.
    It isn't a surprise anymore, but at least I know that my present will be appreciated.

Will I spend a lot of money on presents for other people?
    It depends actually.
    I'll spend more money for people in need than people who have already a lot.
    Normally I'll give a present on birthdays (including a birth of a new baby) and another occasions like retirement, for teachers at the end of a school year, a wedding etc and of course on Christmas Day.

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    No present is expensieve enough for you, @NatashaT for your help and enthusiasm in helping us to improve our English language skill.
    I can only wish you a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2020. <3<3<3
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

It's nice when we get a present as a surprise. However, how many times and how many presents end up in the corner of a cupboard, still unpacked? It's sad, isn't it?

I would be very sad and disappointed if I found out that my gift didn't really make them happy, but it's not easy to find the appropriate present for somebody.

So, nowadays I ask the person what he/she would like to get, and I try to fulfill his/her wish, as far as it's possible. It isn't a surprise anymore, but at least I know that my present will be appreciated.

Do I spend a lot of money on presents for other people?

It depends actually: I spend more money on people in need than people who already have a lot.

Normally, I'll give someone a present on their birthday (including the birth of a new baby) and other occasions like retirement, for teachers at the end of the school year, a wedding, and of course on Christmas Day.