Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Marianne's Tuesday 8am session 31 December 2019: Climate change - myth or reality

mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
Greta Thunberg has been in the news proclaiming the urgent need to address the problem of climate change. But not everyone is willing to accept there is a problem.

https://www.ted.com/talks/greta_thunberg_the_disarming_case_to_act_right_now_on_climate_change

This video talks about climate change. Thunberg is shocked by how human beings are capable of changing the Earth's climate.

What do you think? Do you think there is a problem? Have you seen any evidence of climate change, other than a warmer summer?

For example, last night in northern Scotland there was a record high of over 16 degrees centigrade.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/29/remarkable-high-as-scottish-temperature-record-is-broken?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTEyMzA=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

Captured on camera: 50 years of climate change in the Himalayas. Series of before and after panoramas of Imja glacier taken five decades apart highlights dramatic reduction of Himalayan ice.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jun/04/byers-himalaya-changing-landscapes

Comments

• taghriedtaghried Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely not a myth. But apparently we deal with it as an event that is taking place on the earth as other events, and not as personal problems
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,310 mod
    @taghried - Here is your correction:-

It's definitely not a myth, but apparently we deal with it as an though it is an event that is taking place on the earth like other events, and not as a personal problem.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't think it is a myth. I can observe that climate is unstable where I live. Winters are mild. There is little snow, if at all. From my childhood, I remember tons of snow everywhere. I can save on heating and I am not unhappy about this but domestic vegetables have become very expensive because of summer drought.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember that a white Christmas was quite normal when I was a child growing up just outside London. Now I think it's very rare. But then last year it snowed one day in Nice, an occurrence that hadn't happened since 1973. I'm being told that it's hotter in south India than it used to be.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    The most significant difference between the present time and my childhood is the amount of sonw decrease, in fact, not only the amount of snow but also the snowing times and the average temperature change as well. We have warmer winter and less snow, maybe when I become a grandmother, I have to show what snow is to be grandchildren by pictures.
  • RomulRomul Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited January 17
    We had a rain yesterday.
    I haven’t experienced rain in January before the day.
    So the changes exist I’m sure.
    edited January 18
    @Romul, where do you live If I may ask? Well, there was very little snow yesterday and it melted quickly. :(
    There's evidence all around us showing up changes in the weather even within our own memory.
    @mheredge, very true. :( I have a flat roof so a lot of snow could cause damage in the long term but winter used to be so beautiful. :(
  • RomulRomul Posts: 14 ✭✭
    > @Xanthippe said:
    > @Romul, where do you live If I may ask? Well, there was very little snow yesterday and it melted quickly. :(

I'm living in Moscow now.
    After spending a couple of days in the middle of a forest where water is a very precious commodity, I can understand how vital it is having enough rain in the rainy season. During the past few years, the monsoon rains have been deficient, so the water table is sinking and making it tougher to provide enough water to keep the forest surviving during the dry season.
    Yeah, @Romul, Moscow usually brings to mind very cold winters. :(
    It's not so much climate change that we need to be worried about but the increase in the population that is putting ever increasing demands on the planet.