Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 21 January 2020 - Why progress bars can make you feel better

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about the purpose of progress bars, and why they might be designed to make us feel better instead of showing us the real progress:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191205-why-progress-bars-can-make-you-feel-better

Vocabulary Top 6:

notion - an idea or opinion

deem - to think of (someone or something) in a particular way

scrape - (related to computers) copy (data) from a website using a computer program

transparency - the quality that makes something obvious or easy to understand; the quality that makes it possible to see through something

opaque - difficult to understand or explain; not letting light through : not transparent

buffering - (related to computers) putting (something, such as data) in a buffer (buffer = a place in the memory of a computer where information is stored for a short time)

Do you think 'Samantha' was a robot, or a person?
What is your experience with progress bars? What do you prefer being shown on the screen while you wait?

@Bassa @Alexa @april @Shiny03 @Monik @Rob @almog250 @Maatuq @oscar001 @Diakha @taghried

Comments

• oscar001oscar001 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Samantha was a man-operated-machine to help operators with the language, aiming at pretending to have a perfect American pronunciation. The operator chose from a limited pile of phrases. But, something went wrong for that operator when asked about something unexpected... They couldn't find the appropriate answer from the pile. As a result, Samantha was thought to be an automated attendant or digitalised receptionist, which let quite a few customers down who felt fooled by a machine.

Moving on...
    Have you ever heard of the CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) test? I guess you have as we all are forced to use it online all the time. But, did you know that it all started in the 1950s, when even computer networks didn't exist!?
    This is another annoying online experience (like progress bars or the lovely spinning wheels in windows 10 updates), isn't it?
    Post edited by oscar001 on
    ... windows 10 updates ... still spinning ... lovely, isn't it?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @oscar001 - Here is your correction:-

Samantha was a man-operated-machine to help phone operators with language, aimed at helping them to pretend to have perfect American pronunciation. The operator would choose from a limited number of phrases, but something went wrong for any operator when asked about something unexpected... They couldn't find the appropriate answer from the pile. As a result, Samantha was thought to be an automated attendant or digitised receptionist, which made quite a few customers feel let down, as they felt they had been fooled by a machine.

Moving on...
    Have you ever heard of the CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) test? I guess you have as we are all forced to use it online all the time. But, did you know that it all started in the 1950s, when computer networks didn't even exist!?

This is another annoying online experience, similar to progress bars or the lovely spinning wheels in windows 10 updates, isn't it?
    edited January 31
    Thank you for your help @Teach
    "but something went wrong for any operator" --> an aperator?
    Post edited by oscar001 on
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    I can't decide whether Samantha was a robot or a human, because I didn't hear her speaking myself.
    Samantha could be a robotic human or a humanly robot. :)
    But won't we be helped more by robot in any cases in the future?

Anyway, progress bars or spinning wheels are not welcome when we have to wait.
    Nobody likes to wait, I think.
    However, I don't really mind to see that progress bar on the screen, because I still can do something else while waiting.
    To the contrary was how in the past we had to wait on the phone when we were calling a helpdesk of one or another company.
    You were put on hold and had to hold your phone close to your ear ( my poor arm!) and on the other side they played the same music again and again because there were still 20 people before you ( my poor ear!) and it lasted endlessly.

So, my advice is, if you are annoyed by that progress bar, just go for a cuppa or a snack and hopefully it will finish when you're back.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @oscar001 - maybe 'the operator' would be better here, since we are only talking about one, and a specific one.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    Oooh @april , let me help you out! You can hear her talking in this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/the-only-thing-weirder-than-a-telemarketing-robot/282282/ The conversation is really strange!

I don't think I would mind talking to a robot, as long as I knew it was a robot. I don't know if I like the idea of a robot pretending to be a human.

I like the idea of having a cuppa while you wait for the progress bars! Or even better - start the update when you've finished everything for the day, and go to bed. Hopefully the progress wheel will have stopped spinning by the time you wake up!