Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 27 January 2020 - Dopamine fasting

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article explaining a new trend called 'dopamine fasting' and how it has turned into something different than the creators imagined:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/11/13/20959424/dopamine-fasting-silicon-valley-trend-neuroscience

Vocabulary Top 10:

gospel - an idea or set of ideas that someone believes and often tries to make other people believe

adherent - a person who adheres to or supports a system or set of principles; a person who is loyal to a leader, group, or religion

habituated - to cause (a person or animal) to become familiar with and used to a particular place, situation, etc.

cut (something) short - to end (something) earlier than expected

perplexity - the state of being very confused because something is difficult to understand

ascetic - relating to or having a strict and simple way of living that avoids physical pleasure

rhapsodize - to praise or describe something or someone with a lot of enthusiasm and emotion

amid - in or into the middle of (something)

shoddy - poorly done or made

couching - saying or expressing (something) in a particular way

What do you think of these two ideas (the original version and the extreme version)?
Would you try it?

@VictorJosé @filauzio @Manar @Shiny03 @Alexa @Romul @Monik

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think dopamine-fasting can be relatively useful if taken up as abstaining for one hour or one day from indulging in whatever gives you pleasure, such as sticking to your smartphone, overeating sugary food, smoking and so on.

However, I suppose it couldn't bear any long run definite results; it's just a palliative measure, which can alleviate your wild craving just for a while, but soon you drops into your vice again.

I don't trust smokers who assure you they are going to limit the number of cigarettes per day; neither do I when smokers tell me they are going to switch to e-cigarettes, because vaping is still smoking in disguise, just whitewashing their well rooted persistent addiction.

What makes the difference is just your resolute mindset: I will give up anything, right now.

On the other hand, I think that Silicon Valley's executives and well-off people who made it fashionable to bring it to the extreme of ascetism are just to ridicule; why don't they even clad themselves in jute sacks, latch into barns or seclude into caves for a year, while eating roots and laying down on fakir sharp points scattered beds ?

They are just mollycoddled people who would move heaven and earth to get in the spotlight and hit the headlines, not to get interested in any longer that a split second.

I think the best way to abstain from addictive behaviours is to train your brain to self-discipline, which you can obtain simply by the many hard experiences you happen to go through conducting your normal life.

Then, the problem to me is just that younger people, by definition, lack discipline and hard training, which is their best dopamine-fasting fast-track.

I'm aware mine is outdated talking here, but I think one year military draft, or civil service as well, for those who are conscience objectors, as saying working with older or disabled people, could train youngster in discipline, self-control, and raise their pain's threshold.

This latter, I believe, the tolerance to sufferings, is the most important ability a boy can learn to thoroughly grow a man worth the name: you can get it also by practicing an hard amateurish or agonistic sport activity.

As for me, my personal dopamine fasting started the moment I definitely got rid of my television: I needed to turn such passively stolen time a much more satisfactorily actively spent one.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !