Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 28 January 2020 - Why can't humans hibernate in winter?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about why animals hibernate, and why it's not possible for humans - but how scientists are trying to find a way so that they can:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151203-here-are-all-the-reasons-you-cant-hibernate-in-winter

Vocabulary Top 10:

duvet - a thick bed covering that is filled with a soft light material (such as feathers) (also known as a comforter or quilt)

torpor - a state of not being active and having very little energy

'mast year' - a general term for when plants (predominantly trees) flower together en masse every few years, producing large amounts of seeds

bumper (crop) - unusually large; very good or successful (harvest)

forage - to search for something (such as food or supplies)

cell - any one of the very small parts that together form all living things

diverge - to split and move out in different directions from a single point; to be or become different

pump - a device that forces liquid, air, or gas into or out of something

prompt - to cause (someone) to do something; to be the cause of (something)

tick off - to mark (something) with a written tick

Would you like to be able to hibernate in winter? Why/why not?

@Bassa @oscar001 @Alexa @aza @Manar @Shiny03 @aladdin

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be great to be able to hibernate but when you wish so. If you fall on hard times, you could go into hibernation and make up for lost time when things start to look up again. What about you @NatashaT ? Would you?
  • BassaBassa Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , it’s curious thinking about hibernation and see animals develop this characteristic while humans not...effectively humans eating almost everything are not related to seasonality of their preys as instead animals are...

Anyway for me is very difficult to think: now I’ve to stop and wake up in the future meanwhile world is going on.

My idea is that we are just passing through on this earth and we should like a flowing river, just flow...
    Maybe with some reflection or meditation moments (yes I’m referring to another article :) ) but the hibernation for me is too long :)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    I think I would hibernate if I could @Vok - I'm not a fan of cold weather, especially if it's rainy and windy too. I'd like to skip those dark, cold months and wake up when it's warm and sunny again B)

I guess the problem with hibernating is how do you know when it's time to wake up again? If you're hibernating because of hard times, how will you know when things get better again?
    @Bassa Yes, it's strange to think that we haven't picked up this animal behaviour... maybe we are evolving to be closer to robots than animals? :o

Could we consider mediation to be a very (very) short version of hibernation? Slowing down our breathing and heart rate, not worrying about the world around us? Maybe meditation is a more practical option than hibernation!
    NatashaT said:

I guess the problem with hibernating is how do you know when it's time to wake up again? If you're hibernating because of hard times, how will you know when things get better again?

Yeah, it'd be tricky. You'd either ask someone to give you a shout when things are bright and rosy again or you could come out of hibernation just to check yourself whether it's good enough to go on with you life.
  • oscar001oscar001 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    I see hibernation as a pack, "going to sleep" and having an extra sense or internal alarm clock to wake you up come as an all-in-one. This way, if we were able to hibernate we would have "that extra" to wake up. Therefore, you do not have to worry @NatashaT , you'll be awake at the right time. But, there is a downside... will you be able to remember what you where doing, where you were going or even who you are before hibernating.
    I'm afraid, that's not my cup of tea. I prefer enjoying every single day of my "short" life, rainy and sunny days included.
    @Vok maybe there could be a hibernation update on your phone - you set an alarm to wake up, check your phone quickly to see how things are going, and if you aren't quite ready yet you can head back into hibernation for a while! :D

@oscar001 so it's an all-in-one package! If you have to restart again after every time you hibernate, you're right - it might not be such a great idea. Having to redo and relearn everything again is much worse than having to suffer through winter...
    @NatashaT it will do. Aslo I'm suer there would be an app that would do all the monitoring and give you a wake-up call if need be.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @Vok - Here is your correction:-

It would be great to be able to hibernate, but only when you wish to. If you fall on hard times, you could go into hibernation and make up for lost time when things start to look up again. What about you @NatashaT ? Would you?
    @Bassa - Here is your correction:-

Hi Natasha. It’s strange thinking about hibernation and seeing how animals developed this characteristic while humans didn't. Basically, humans ability to eat almost everything unrelated to the seasonality of their prey, as opposed to animals.

Anyway, for me is very difficult to think about stopping and then waking up in the future, whilst the world is going on around me.

To my mind, we are just passing through on this earth and we should be like a flowing river, just flow.

Maybe taking time for some reflection or meditation (yes I’m referring to another article :) ) but for me hibernation would be too long.
    @oscar001 - Here is your correction:-

I see hibernation as part of a pack: "going to sleep" and having an extra sense or internal alarm clock to wake you up is part of the same thing. So, if we were able to hibernate we would have "that extra" to wake up. Therefore, you do not need to worry Natasha, you'll be awake at the right time. But, there is a downside... will you be able to remember what you where doing, where you were going or even who you are before hibernating.

I'm afraid, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I prefer enjoying every single day of my "short" life, rainy and sunny days included.
  • oscar001oscar001 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much @Teach
  • BassaBassa Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Teach :)!