Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Tuesday Night Owls - 4 February 2020 - The company that banned Wednesdays

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,175 Teacher
We read an article about a company that decided not to work on Wednesdays:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190429-the-australian-company-that-banned-work-on-wednesdays

Vocabulary Top 10:

slack off - to do something with less effort or energy than you did it with before; to become less active, forceful, etc.

brunt - the main force or effect of (something harmful or dangerous)

idle - not working, active, or being used; not having any real purpose or value

in tow - used to describe a situation in which someone is going somewhere with another person or group

vindication - to show that (someone or something that has been criticized or doubted) is correct, true, or reasonable

brief - instructions that explain what a person is supposed to do

catch up on - to do (something) that you could have done earlier

bang for your buck - used to describe how much value is received when money/time/effort is spent

trialling - testing the quality, value, or usefulness of (something)

unmitigated - complete and total — usually used to describe something bad

Would you like to have a day off in the middle of the week?
What day of the week would you prefer to have off?
Do you think this 4 day week would be possible in your workplace? Why/why not?

@Diakha @Manar @Alexa @april @Sarraf @aza @Shiny03 @oscar001 @Rob_Negrete

Comments

• oscar001oscar001 Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course. I would love having a day off in the middle of the week. That would be great. On Thursday (which would be almost the second Monday of the week) I would feel fresh and with renewed energies rather than tired at the end of the week.

I definitely go for Wednesday so that I would enjoy a short break or mini-weekend to do home staff, paperwork, doctor appointments,... or just relax or take my kids to school and pick them up.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 4-day week is possible in my workplace, which is a school. I work as a classroom or face-to-face teacher. In this job there are some breaks scheduled over the school year and a number of working days must be fulfilled. However, there could be a possibility to make a 4-day week feasible, and that is to move or play with the breaks. I am not in a position to decide such a change, but you never know...
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,165 mod
    An additional day off in the middle of the week is welcome, but it's better if it is valid for the whole staff, like what they said in the article.
    If you are the only one at work who has this extra day off, you will feel excluded and possibly you will be behind with a lot of new things which happened during your absence.
    Not in every sort of work, of course.
    In my proffesion as a nurse, I will feel these unpleasant consequences.
    Nurses work in shifts. Anyhow we can't follow all of things that happens round-the-clock.
    If I had an additional day off, I'd miss a lot of news about colleagues (not only gossips), about what happened in the hospital and the most important thing is I could miss a lot of practices about new devices, surely when they start to use them or give the explanation about them during my absence.
    On the other hand, if we work in shifts as a bus driver, for example, we would have less unpleasant consequences, I think.

Another issue about this day off could be also, how are we going to use that day?
    We say now, relaxing! Doing some sport! Doing something nice with the family! Nice. :)
    However, someone could also use that day to do another job as an extra income!
    Would he/she then as fresh as expected on Thursday if he/she has an extra day off on Wednesday?

Everything looks nicer when you don't have it, but can we assure that we will be really really really happier with that? :D
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    @oscar001 - Here is your correction:-

Yes, of course. I would love to have a day off in the middle of the week, it would be great. On Thursday (which would be like the second Monday of the week) I would feel fresh, and with renewed energy rather than tired at the end of the week.

I would definitely go for Wednesday so that I could enjoy a short break or mini-weekend to do home stuff, paperwork, doctor's appointments,... or just relax or take my kids to school and pick them up.

Unfortunately, I don't think a 4-day week is possible at my workplace, which is a school. I work as a classroom or face-to-face teacher. In this job there are some breaks scheduled over the school year and a number of working days must be fulfilled. However, it might be possible to make a 4-day week feasible, and that would be to move or play around with the school breaks. I am not in the position to bring about such a change, but you never know...

!Note - instead of "...take my kids to school and pick them up", you could say "do the school run".
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

An additional day off in the middle of the week would be welcome, but it would be better if it was valid for all the staff, as they said in the article. If you were the only one at work who had this extra day off, you would feel excluded and possibly you would fall behind about a lot of new things that happened during your absence.

Not in every sort of job, of course.

In my profession as a nurse, I would feel these unpleasant consequences: nurses work in shifts. As it is, we can't follow all of the things that happen round-the-clock.

If I had an additional day off, I'd miss a lot of news about colleagues (not only gossip), about what happened in the hospital and the most important thing is I could miss a lot of practical training on any new equipment they might start to use, or explain about during my absence.

On the other hand, if we worked in shifts, bus drivers for example, we would have less unpleasant consequences, I think.

Another issue about this day off could also be, how are we going to use that day?

We say now, relaxing! Doing some sport! Doing something nice with the family! Nice. :)

However, someone could also use that day to do another job for extra income!
    Would he/she then be as refreshed as expected on Thursday if he/she had an extra day off on Wednesday?

Everything looks nicer when you don't have it, but can we assume that we will be really, really, really happier with it?