Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain

Monday Night Owls - 24 February 2020 - Internal monologues: do you have one?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,154 Teacher
We read articles about the fact that not everyone has an internal monologue, and why:

https://insidemymind.me/2020/01/28/today-i-learned-that-not-everyone-has-an-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/inner-monologue-mental-health-not-everyone-talks-to-themself/11931410?sf229728226

Vocabulary Top 10:

intrigued - wanting to know more about something : interested in something

full-blown - having all of the qualities that are associated with a particular thing or type of person : fully developed

a figment of my imagination - something produced by the imagination : something that does not really exist

fall down the rabbit hole - to enter into a situation or begin a process or journey that is particularly strange, problematic, difficult, complex, or chaotic, especially one that becomes increasingly so as it develops or unfolds

skewed - not true or accurate; not straight

snippets - a small piece of information or news; a small part of something (such as a piece of music, a conversation, etc.)

psych yourself up - to make (yourself or another person) mentally ready to perform or compete

cortex - the outer layer of an organ in the body and especially of the brain

silver lining - something good that can be found in a bad situation

introspection - the process of examining your own thoughts or feelings

Do you have an internal monologue?
If you do have an inner voice, how do you usually talk to yourself? If not, what happens in your mind when you think?

@Linneus @almog250 @filauzio @Alexa @april @Manar @Diakha @Sarraf @Shiny03 @ciaociano

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,118 mod
    Difficult questions, @NatashaT .
    I'm not sure if I have the answers.
    Maybe it'll help if you tell me first how were or are your conversations with your inner voice. :)
    Like now, I'm writing this text and in my head I am reading while I'm writing, however I'm that I don't hear my inner voice commenting it. :|

Now in my head I'm reading it again to find mistakes in my text. :)
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,394 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

Difficult questions, @NatashaT. I'm not sure if I have the answers.

Maybe it would help if you told me first what your conversations with your inner voice are.

For example, I'm writing this text now, and in my head I am reading while I'm writing, however I'm sure that I don't hear my inner voice commenting on it.

Now in my head, I'm reading it again to find mistakes in my text.