Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 2 March 2020 - Improving safety online via new photo sharing apps

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
edited March 2 in Technology and Games
We read an article about possible changes to social media as families become more wary of sharing photos of children online:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190814-how-kids-and-their-doting-grannies-will-improve-social-media?ocid=global_worklife_rss

Vocabulary Top 10:

guru - a teacher or guide that you trust; a person who has a lot of experience in or knowledge about a particular subject

squabble - to argue loudly about things that are not important

portmanteau - a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example brunch (from ‘breakfast’ and ‘lunch’)

coo - to talk in a soft, quiet, and loving way

nix - to refuse to accept or allow (something) : to say no to (something, such as a suggestion or plan)

leverage - influence or power used to achieve a desired result

crowdfunding - the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet

status quo - the current situation : the way things are now

ephemeral - lasting a very short time

credence - belief that something is true; the quality of being believed or accepted as something true or real

Are you careful about what you share online? Why/why not?
Would you change the social media platforms you use based on how safe your information is?

@Youcefaziz @april @filauzio @Alexa @Rob_Negrete @Shiny03 @Sarraf @Manar @Diakha @Jeanlanziloti

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha
    I wasn’t attending your session, but I want to share my opinion.
    I don’t like to share some pictures about me or any of my family members, we can see people reuse it, or share it with others. As in our society it’s not preferable.
    If we talk about children, they are too young to put them into a big hard world.
  • Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Hi,

I don't like to share personal/familar pictures neither nor where places I visit. Unless of course with the familiar members who were involved in that picture/event.

If some other known person ask me for that picture, well I'll share it but in private. No in social networks.

Please be careful with all kind of content you share at any social media. Think about it twice (at least). All data you upload could be used against you.

Have a nice day :smile:
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,163 mod
    I don't share private pictures online, surely not publicly.
    Private is private, no way that I throw them for a scramble.
    I share them occasionally with my family or friends, carefully.
    If you catch me sharing pictures online, publicly, those must be only virtual pictures, like pictures I have taken in Second Life.

Even though I don't do it myself, I sometimes enjoy looking at my friends' pictures online. :)
    Maybe it's a kind of voyeurism? Curiosity?

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,429 mod
    @saraal - Here is your correction:_

Hi Natasha,

I didn't attend your session, but I want to share my opinion.

I don’t like sharing pictures of me or any of my family members, in case people reuse them, or share them with others. In our society it’s not a good idea. Especially if we are talking about children, they are too young to put them into a big hard world.
    @Rob - Here is your correction:-

Hi,

I don't like to share personal/family pictures either, nor places that I visit, unless of course I am sharing them with family members who were involved in that picture/event.

If someone else asked me for the picture, well I would share it, but in private. Not on social networks.

Please be careful with any kind of content you share on any social media. Think about it twice (at least). Any data you upload could be used against you.

Have a nice day.
    @april - here is your correction:-

I don't share private pictures online, and certainly not publicly. Private is private, no way that I throw them for a scramble.

I share them occasionally with my family or friends, carefully. If you catch me sharing pictures online, publicly, they will only be virtual pictures, like pictures I have taken in Second Life.

Even though I don't do it myself, I sometimes enjoy looking at my friends' pictures online. Maybe it's a kind of voyeurism, or simply curiosity?