Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain

Tuesday Night Owls - 3 March 2020 - The city where cyclists are unwelcome

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,154 Teacher
We read an article about a city where it is dangerous to be a cyclist because of the attitudes of drivers:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200205-the-worst-place-in-the-world-to-be-a-cyclist

Vocabulary Top 10:

tarmac - the area covered by pavement, particularly at an airport

onslaught - a violent attack

archaic - old and no longer used; outdated

burgeoning - growing or developing quickly

dweller - a person or animal that lives in a particular place

esteem - respect and affection; used to say how much someone or something is admired and respected

mock - done or performed to look like the real thing

cumbersome - hard to handle or manage because of size or weight

fleet - a group of ships or vehicles that move or work together or that are controlled or owned by one company

stipulated - to demand or require (something) as part of an agreement

Is it safe to be a cyclist in your city?
What could be done to make the roads safer for people who want to use bikes for transportation?

@Rob_Negrete @Youcefaziz @Alexa @april @Diakha @Manar @VictorJosé @Bassa @Shiny03 @Sarraf @oscar001 @saraal

Comments

• Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hello,

nope, the city where I live is still very "archaic" on that way.

Recently has been growing some organizations who are empowering cycling, however car drivers are not very respectful with cyclists.

Also there aren't special roads where bykers can cycle safe and they risk their life when are passing between cars.

The only thing has been working a little bit better is that on Sundays the principal Avenue in the city is closed for cars and opened for Cyclists and peatons.

I hope soon governments take "real" actions and find solutions that allows to people use their bike safely. I think that if we could use more bikes as a transportation there would be a lot of benefits for everyone, to name some of them.

- Citizens' healt would improve.
    - Social Healt system would be better because disseases like Diabetis, Obesity and Heart attacks would tend to be fewer.
    - City pollution could decrease.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,118 mod
    edited March 5
    We have bicycle paths in de most cities, but the crossing is always dangerous and fatal accidents can always happen.
    Generally, drivers gently give cyclists priority.
    It should be safe to bike in the city, but I found out that it's more dangerous to bike than to drive a car and the danger doesn't come from the cars but from the other cyclists.
    If you drive a car you will follow the traffic regulations, but cyclists on the bicycle paths seemingly doesn't have any rules.
    They ride fastly, especially now with e-bikes, and overtake on your left and right side without warning.
    You can't see what happens behind you, because we don't have those side mirrors like in the cars.
    I don't bike fast, my 30 year-old bike doesn't even let me to and after doing my shopping, I have to bike double carefully because my bike will be overloaded so I have to pedal harder and try to not losing my balance especially when it's windy.
    Sometimes I have to bike on the footpath to avoid the other cyclists.
    However, apart of those uncomfortable moments, I like cycling in a relax way and when it's good weather.
    I'd like to buy a new bike, but I'm afraid that it will be stolen. :D

Post edited by april on
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,394 mod
    @Rob_Negrete - Here is your correction:-

Hello,

Nope, the city where I live is still very "archaic" in that way. Recently some organizations have appeared that are promoting cycling, however car drivers are not very respectful to cyclists. Also there aren't any special roads where they can cycle safely, and they risk their lives when they cycle between cars.

The only thing that has been working a little better is that on Sundays the principal avenue in the city is closed to cars and opened for cyclists and pedestrians.

I hope that soon governments will take "real" action and find solutions that allow people to use their bikes safely. I think that if we could use bikes more as a means of transport there would be a lot of benefits for everyone, to name a few:-

- Citizens' health would improve.
    - The social health system would be better because diseases like diabetes, obesity and heart problems would tend to be fewer.
    - City pollution would decrease.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,394 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

We have cycle paths in most cities, but at crossings it is always dangerous and fatal accidents happen.

Generally speaking, drivers give cyclists priority, so it should be safe to cycle in the city, but I found out that it's more dangerous to ride a bike than to drive a car, and the real danger doesn't come from the cars but from the other cyclists.
    If you drive a car you will follow the traffic regulations, but cyclists on the cycle paths seemingly don't have any rules.

They ride fast, especially now with e-bikes, and overtake on your left and right hand side without warning. You can't see what is happening behind you, because we don't have those side mirrors like cars do.

I don't cycle fast, my 30 year-old bike doesn't let me, and after doing my shopping, I have to cycle doubly carefully because my bike is overloaded, and so I have to pedal harder, and try not to lose my balance, especially when it's windy, and sometimes I have to cycle on the footpath, to avoid the other cyclists.

However, apart from some uncomfortable moments, I like cycling in a relaxed way, and when the weather is good.

I'd like to buy a new bike, but I'm afraid that it would be stolen.