Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Could we use "the least popular"?

lisalisa Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, I have a question which has made me confused for a long time, here it is: we always say "watching film is the most popular entertaining activity among young people ", could we see "watching film is the least popular entertaining activity among aged people"?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,615 ✭✭✭✭
    lisa said:

Hi guys, I have a question which has made me confused for a long time, here it is: we always say "watching a film is the most popular entertainment among young people ", could we say "watching a film is the least popular entertainment among aged people"?

@lisa you could, though I am not sure it is true!

entertainment
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Thanks very much for your reply, I think I should try my best to avoid using this pattern, because you are not sure it is true.
    I'm just thinking that many of the elderly people I know actually watch a lot of TV and like to watch movies. This doesn't mean that they necessarily go to the cinema (but fewer people do nowadays), but they still are entertained by films.
    Believe it or not, I seldom go to the cinema to watch films, on the one hand, films in cinema are expensive, on the other hand, the TV of my department is good enough to appreciate any films, therefore, I am reluctant to appreicate films in the cinema.
    I used to go to the cinema a lot until 15 years ago, when I lived in London @lisa. I liked the big screen and used to go to cinemas that showed foreign movies, which were a lot cheaper than those showing blockbusters, which were less to my taste.

I have been a few times here in Nice and if I thought I would go frequently, there are loyalty cards that reduce the cost substantially. However I can't say that I have been aware of so many really good new movies that I would want to go to see.
    @mheredge The widespread use of Ipads and laptops contributes unprecedentedly to the decreased frenquency of cinema among people in China, since there more and much cheaper resources on the Internet, take the Frozen for an example, the price of cinema is at least 30 RMB for an adult, besides the price we have to prepare some snacks for our daughter, as you know, snacks in the cinema are usually expensive and unhealthy, however, I just need to pay 26 RMB online, then I will have limitless time to appreicate this film and other TV serials on the TV as well.
    I noticed that downloading movies from the internet is very common in Asia, though technically it is illegal and here, I understand that if the authorities catch you, you could be prosecuted @lisa. However there is always vpn, which I used successfully when I visited China to keep my access to Facebook working!
    @mheredge In fact, VPN was not necessary when I downloaded some TV serials, to be honest, I do not know the resources of these websites, but they are free, which is attractive. Downloading some TV serials from the Internet will be prosecuted now in China, but I think it will be punished in the future, because copyright as well as related problems has been attracted official attention. However, I think this action could be equalled to download some movies from YOUTUBE, am I right?
    I am not even sure how to download Youtube movies @lisa. I think it is illegal around the world, but it is more of a question of tracking down the culprits and imposing punishments. Eventually I am sure there will be technical ways to block it too. Youtube used to have quite a lot of old movies that I think now are blocked as when you try to watch them they no longer play.
    @mheredge Some European movies as well as American ones are not allowed to appreciated or downloaded freely in China now, which, in my opinion, is kind of progress in protecting the copyrights.Nevertheless, I can find any old old chinese TV serials or movies easily online. :#
    Have a look at www.archive.org @lisa. If you can access it - or maybe with vpn, you can borrow books and movies.
    @mheredge You're right, I can not access it, what is the worse, I donot have VPN, because I was told vpn is illegal when I consulted with some businessman of software.