Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

That and which

saraalsaraal Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
Good day everyone,

Anyone can help me in using which and that, when I can use that and which? Any difference between them?

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,432 mod
    We don't worry too much about it in BrE.

https://www.learnenglish.de/mistakes/thatwhichwho.html

How much do you know about clauses?

• saraalsaraal Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29
    In Academic writing, can I use anyone and it will be the same meaning?
    I know the basics
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,432 mod
    Well, this is where it all gets complicated:-

In BrE 'that' and 'which' can both be used for restrictive relative clauses. In NAmE and BrE, "which" is used in non-restrictive relative clauses.

If you want to be 100% grammatically correct, you could try using "that" with restrictive clauses, and "which" with nonrestrictive clauses.

In a restrictive relative clause, "that" defines a noun, in a nonrestrictive clause, "which" gives extra information about a noun.

A restrictive relative clause contains essential information about the noun. If you leave the restrictive relative clause out of the sentence, the whole meaning of the sentence is affected, because it is required to identify the noun it is linked to.

Here is an example: "Paulette was very proud of the octopus that she knit for Zom."

Imagine if I said, "Paulette was very proud of the octopus." That could be very confusing, and you would probably be wondering, "What octopus?" "Has she got a pet octopus?".

Nonrestrictive relative clauses can be omitted, and the sentence has less information, but still makes sense.

For example:-

The dog, which was lying on the bed, fell asleep.

The dog fell asleep.

There is no loss in meaning (note the use of commas).
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    Corrosion problems common in oil industries which depend on seawater injection.

Is it right?