Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
Learn English May

BBC Podcasts

mheredgemheredge Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Let's Practise and Learn
You might find these podcasts interesting. They are radio programmes that have been aired by the BBC and are kept on this website for about a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds

The latest Arts and Ideas podcast is about Umberto Eco: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p039t1bh and there are more in this series listed at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p02nrvk3

They are on all kinds of topics. For anyone obsessed by the detective series Line of Duty, there is even a podcast series on this (@Vok?)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p078bcvj

Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @mheredge Yes, I've listened to Obseessed with Line of Duty. I've also thought about creating a thread where we can share podcasts (link to them) we've found interesting recently. So, we can use this thread for the purpose.

It's not from BBC but you might just as well enjoy a series of podcast from Stepen Fry on the 7 deadly sins.
    https://play.acast.com/s/greatleapyears

Another podcast I've discovered recently is called The Two Shot Podcast with its host Craig Parkinson (Line of Duty again). Each episode is a long interview with very interesting people.
    https://play.acast.com/s/twoshotpod

Share you favourite podcasts here, guys and gals.

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent idea @Vok.

@verom_gonzalez if you come across any interesting podcasts, please share them with us here!
  • verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @mheredge! I saw how varied and interesting topics they've posted there, but I should look at them in a more detailed way. Also, these podcasts would be an excellent exercise for my ears, who are a bit lazier than my eyes, haha! I'll tell you what I find there.
    I thought that they might be good for listening practice @verom_gonzalez!
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I'm addicted to podcast especially BBC4.usually listen to it while doing my chores.
    Today I was decluttering my junk drawer while I listening to this cheerful one about dancing which encourages me thinking to buy the violin instrument.
    I googled and found two kinds of Violin, one for student and the other is professional. So sooner or later I'm going to buy and teach my self how to play through youtube videos or looking up for the art institution near me.
    @mheredge , @Vok , @verom_gonzalez , you might like it. ^ ^

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p091ly93
    Be careful that you practice somewhere where you won't disturb the neighbours @taghried. I had some tenants whose young daughter was learning the violin. She drove my next door neighbour insane. He eventually invested in some very effective headphones to block out the sound when she was practiscing!

I'm kidding! My sister learned but she changed to learning to play the piano later. The problem with this though, is pianos take up a lot more space.
    I have an idea to avoid bothering my neighbours @mheredge . I can enrol on an art institution and once I become a professional musician in the Violin I could play it at my apartment because In this case, I will know how to handle with the instrument without making so much noise. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q3st

A part of this podcast talks about,Nadia, a shy person who mentioned the pros and cons of being shy.
    Thinking deeply, form a real relationship and have empathy are positive qualities.
    Hiding and feeling uncertainty is the drawback to move forward and get involved in the environment around, but a shy person can push himself forward little by little.
    I remember when I was living in London how there was a trumpet player who used to play in the evening, around bedtime, but not too late. I assume it was a he, as girls don't so often choose this instrument, but I used to love listening as he was a very good at playing traditional jazz music. Similarly someone else nearby played the piano beautifully, so it was always a real pleasure hearing it from their open window @taghried.
    edited December 2020
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qjd1

this podcaster (Gane Garvy) hosts people who narrative their joyful tale during the pandemic. It's lovely.

The worst thing that happened this year is I used to live in the capital city but I move to a small town. The good thing is my comprehension in English is increasing, slowly but surely because when I compare myself before a year ago I feel I'm not too bad. However, I have to teach myself to accept the reality whatever it will be.

Happy Christmas! ^ ^ o:)
    You should believe in yourself more @taghried. Your English is improving and you always make such good contributions in our speaking sessions too.

Have you seen @Vok's topic on positive things to say about the covid pandemic? You might find it interesting to share your thought with everyone there.
    edited December 2020
    Nice of you saying that @mheredge , Thank you ^ ^

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/loving-the-leftovers/id342927791?i=1000503607223

This podcast talks about leftovers.
    My culture doesn't value leftovers except peasants here who so grateful about food more than households who live in cities.

The food expert in the podcast mentioned an essential rule which is, never use leftover twice.

Two days ago I cooked leftover chicken and turned it into a different dish. The dish was (Chicken Shawrma).

Chop of breast chicken into shreds.
    Grilled slices of tomato, onion, and green pepper, and mix them with the shreds of chicken breast.

I ate this dish with (sun bread)(Eish Shamsi) an Egyptian baked originally in the countryside.

Post edited by taghried on
    They look good @taghried. I have some chicken in the fridge, and also a few last slices of roasted duck. I think I might make myself a salad. I used a lot of left overs to make soup and put some of this in the freezer. I tend to eat a lot of leftovers as it isn't always easy to cook just one portion.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qy39

The broadcaster asked British people a simple question "How are you doing during the third national lockdown?"
    One of the callers is a mother who looks after her three children while she is doing her online works.

The British government delivered loads of laptops to students for keeping their learning remotely. However, the issue is, the students need support from their parents but they have to go work and if parents stop working for caring their children they will lose their income. what an issue it is.
    Recently my government impose a fine on people who don't wear the mask, and I have astonished that in two days the government announced that they collected one Million pounds from those who didn't follow the instructions!!!
    Also, schools and colleges are closed.
    From my understanding @taghried, online teaching didn't go at all well during the previous lockdowns in the UK, for exactly the reasons you gave, plus the fact that many households either don't have a good internet connection or only one laptop per family and there is more than one child needing access.

The less well off families suffer the most as always in these times.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qx0y
    I listen sometimes the Money Box podcast on BBC 4. The podcast about managing, investing and spending money. Yesterday I was listening to a podcast about educating children about money. I agree that kids are mainly little impressed on importance of saving money and differentiate between needs and wants.
    Do kids still use money boxes to save up their pocket money @Vok? I think I was eleven when I was allowed open a building society savings account. My parents taught me good habits from an early age.
    @mheredge I gave my daughter a piggy bank as a gift for Christmas. It's funny because she values coins more than any banknotes she is offered. I don't know about other kids but as we go more and more cashless, it's hard to appreciate virtual money.
    I'm out of touch with how kids spend money @Vok, but I remember seeing how some banks have children's accounts. I don't know how these work nowadays as in my day - predigital - I had a passbook which showed each transaction.

These days I just tend to put one and two cent coins aside to eventually give to my friend who has a pharmacy. She says the banks now don't provide change as small as this so it is always a problem having enough small change to give when prices are not to the nearest five or ten cents.
    I'm not sure how kids manage their allowance money this days either @mheredge . But I guess they have more money than we used to with my peers when I was at school. I remember saving money my mom gave for lunch every other day. I had a school bag with a secret double-bottom compartment, where I stashed away my daily allowances. Maybe this fact contributed to me being skinny. I don't remember though, what I was squirreling away money for. I think it was just hoarding without any particular goal in mind. Apparently money works well as an incentive not only for adults but for children too. One of my neighbours told me that his kids learnt this big way, when they were fined by him for having shattered a chandelier.
    Was this lunch money pocket money @Vok, or just 'dinner money'? I remember that we had to pay for our school dinners. I think we must have had to buy tickets though I don't remember exactly.

I never spent my pocket money on food or sweets, but saved up for things. I remember saving up and buying a second hand record player for example.
    @mheredge If memory serves, from a certain age we had to pay for our lunch, but it was almost thirty years ago and it could have been just as well the extra money my mom gave me.
    I can't remeber if we paid perhaps for the whole school year or term @Vok, as I certainly don't recall making weekly or even monthly payments. I do know that school dinners weren't free for everyone.

It is strange, but for some reason I am almost sure 'school dinners' rather than school 'lunches' were what we called them, yet strictly speaking, lunch is the meal that we're talking about here.

https://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/uk-now/read-uk/school-dinners

At the moment free school meals is a hot topic in the news.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-12/free-school-meals-parents-blast-woefully-inadequate-food-parcels-for-children-learning-at-home
    This may explain where calling 'lunch' 'dinner' came from:

'The terminology around eating in the UK is still confusing. For some "lunch" is "dinner" and vice versa. From the Roman times to the Middle Ages everyone ate in the middle of the day, but it was called dinner and was the main meal of the day. Lunch as we know it didn't exist - not even the word.'

from here https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20243692#:~:text=For some "lunch" is ",main meal of the day.

It is confusing @Vok. It appears that dinner is considered to be the "main" or largest meal of the day, so whether this takes place at noon or in the evening is mostly a cultural thing. I was always taught to refer to the midday meal as 'lunch' but this could have been to do with the fact that my mother, being French, would never use the word 'dinner' (le dîner) to refer to lunch (le déjeuner). But many of my school mates went home for 'tea' which they understood as a light evening meal, usually taken fairly early in the evening or in the late afternoon (about 5pm). I used to think 'tea' was a working class equivalent to dinner when I was young, but this was probably more to do with being at school with working class kids.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    At the early age of six I’d had my own passbook. The case is simple explaint. Each year at the end of October came a clerk over from the bank took a sit at the teacher’s desk. We had to give him our piggy bank and passbook, he counted the content, gave as a present and in the one or two days we got the book back with the transaction.
    Each year the last day in October is the World Savings Day. Most of the time at the end of Oktober I got bussy to fill my box with some coins. Apparently I wasn’t a great fox.

That has changed, nowdays teachers and children go to the bank for empying their boxes. Less and less parents gave their children the passbook with, because teachers and mates can see the savings in the books. Nobody wants that – am I right.

Post edited by Hermine on
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 4,804 mod
    Interesting @vok - When I was young the main meal was eaten at midday and we had tea when we got home after school. Then, when I started work, our main meal was eaten in the evening as it is not possible to cook and eat a proper meal in half an hour lunch break! For years we had our main meal in the early evening. My own children, had sandwiches at school. School dinners were no longer nutritious, merely, chips with everything and 'turkey twizzlers'! They did have school dinners - free - for a couple of years when finances were very stretched!
    Now I am older (humph!) we have gone back to having our main meal around 2-3 o clock. Our digestion is not what it was lol
    I was lucky (if you could call it that, as they didn't taste great) to have so-called 'nutritious' school dinners until I left school for college when I was 16. There, they had a self-service canteen where it was pretty much chips with everything and not at all healthy eating.

I always had a main meal in the evening, even as a child. Dinner was always ready some time between 7 and 7.30pm. When I got back from school, we'd usually just have something to drink and maybe a biscuit or slice of bread and peanut butter or something like that.

Like you, now I try to make my main meal lunch (I still call it this, even if perhaps I could call it 'dinner'), but generally at about midday @amatsuscribbler. I then eat a light dinner at around 6pm, or even a bit earlier.
    Circumstances last Friday meant that we had to eat our main meal at 6.30. Not too late you think. My digestive system said 'Woah! What are you doing to me!' and proceeded to make me suffer with horrendous reflux for two hours. :p
    @amatsuscribbler my neighbours invited me for dinner on Saturday and we didn't start eating till after 8pm. I usually have eaten by 6pm so was starving.
    @mheredge aw bless you! I wold be up all night with indigestion eating at that time!