Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Write about the picture

DingDing Posts: 33 ✭✭
Found this one interesting https://www.eslwriting.org/esl-writing-fall-2018-y1-week-13/

So I tried to describe the picture.

My writing is below:

There are many people in this room. People are holding camera or smartphone, nearly all of them are faceing toward one direction. Adult, kid, older, everyone is trying to record or take picture. At the background there is a wall with lots of paints on it. Maybe this place is not a room but a hall of art museum. There are belt barriers prevent people from something they want to get as close as possible.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 46,901 ✭✭✭✭

Ding said:

There are many people in this room. People are holding cameras or smartphones and nearly all of them are facing towards one direction. Adults, kids, older people - everyone is trying to record or take pictures. In the background there is a wall with lots of paintings on it. Maybe this place is not a room but a hall of an art museum. There are tape barriers to prevent people from getting too close.

Good idea @Ding.

How about describing what you see in this painting?

• DingDing Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Happy to see you here :D @mheredge

My writing is below:

This is a painting. The upper half were dominated by cool colors. Dark green trees, gray mountain, light blue sky. A yellow house at the center of this picture. The lower half were mainly warm colors. Golden field, might be mature crop like wheat. Red flowers at the bottom. I don't know why but the color of the red flower reminds me of poppy. Poppy can be used to produce opium. In this situation, maybe the family dwelt here was... narcos? There might be snippers by the windows on the second floor. A topless tanned muscular guy with tattoos cover his arms and chest, hiding behind the concrete wall, holding a type 92 machine gun, a box of grenade and drum magazines around his feet. He is staying alert while watching SpongeBob SquarePants on his smartphone. If anything happened, this guy will take control of everything in minutes, then resume watching SpongeBob SquarePants.
    When you are describing an object like this, you can use the present tense all the was through.
    Ding said:

Happy to see you here :D@mheredge

My writing is below:

This is a painting. The upper half is dominated by cool colors: dark green trees, a gray mountain, and light blue sky. A yellow house is at the center of this picture. The lower half is mainly warm colors: a golden field which might be a mature crop like wheat. There are red flowers at the bottom. I don't know why but the color of the red flower reminds me of poppies. Poppy which can be used to produce opium. In this situation, maybe the family who livehere are... narcos? There might be snippers by the windows on the second floor. A shirtless tanned muscular guy with tattoos covering his arms and chest, is hiding behind the concrete wall, holding a type 92 machine gun with a box of grenades and drum magazines around his feet. He is staying alert while watching SpongeBob SquarePants on his smartphone. If anything happens, this guy will take control of everything in minutes, then resume watching SpongeBob SquarePants.

Haha @Ding! Have you seen the Step by Step Story topic? You are only allowed to add 4 new words to the story, but you would be surprised how you can turn the story round in so few words. https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7034/step-by-step-story-40#latest

In fact the background to this painting is very boring compared to your story. It is part of a series created after a trip to France in the spring. The painter cycled through the countryside on trails that led her past random fields of poppies showing off their scarlet blooms. The view from the villa windows must have been spectacular.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/provence-villa-dawn-thrasher.html
  • praveenArupraveenAru Posts: 103 ✭✭
    This is a painting of landscape view of house in the middle of the shrubs and mountains . The artist want us to experience the view he seen in real. May be I think?. If it was a creative art I think he is a good creator and artist too. But he did his work very well. If you see the picture we can see the clarity and minute detail of his experience or creativity.

Particularly the tress, shrubs and sky looks are so beautiful. Even a wall with the blocks of stone in the left of the house it looks so real. I think some the red shades in the tress and in the mountain indicates the summer season of the year. I really like the work of clear sky with tiny clouds it look so, familiar like in real. I think the view is the experience of astonishing look of artist. that's why he used warm colors that shows the exact experience of astonishment. I felt some these things what about others.

This is a painting of a landscape view of a house in the middle of the trees and shrubs and mountains in the background. The artist want us to experience the view he seen in realily. What do I think?. If it was a creative piece of art I think he is a good creator and artist too. But He did his work very well. If you look at the picture we can see the clarity and minute detail of what he sees experience or and creativity.

Particularly the tress, shrubs and sky looks are so beautiful. Even a wall with the blocks of stone to the left of the house it looks so real. I think some of the red shades in the tress and in the mountains indicates the summer season of the year. I really like the work of clear sky with tiny clouds. It looks so, familiar like in reality. I think the view is the experience of the astonishing insight of the artist. That's why he used warm colors that shows the exact experience of astonishment. I felt some of these things. What about others.

@praveenAru nice review.The painting is called 'Provence Villa' by Dawn Thrasher and is part of a series created after a trip to France in the spring. The artist cycled through the countryside on trails that led her past random fields of poppies showing off their scarlet blooms. She thinks that the view from the villa windows must have been spectacular.
    How about writing about this painting:

> @mheredge said:
    > How about writing about this painting:
    >
    > (Image)

The tall chimney is smoking fiercely. The tall utility pole is standing in the crowd proudly. I wonder what makes those people crowded in this square. They are heading at buildings have big windows. Is it a factory? Or a government office? From the height, I presume that all the people here are adults.

This painting reminds me of a scene from drama West World -- crowded people fill the sight, everyone is doing something, going to somewhere, it seems everyone has their own business to mind. Suddenly, everything stopped. Hundreds of people freezing into one frame, into same frame. Nobody is even blinking.
    Ding said:

> @mheredge said:

>

> (Image)

The tall chimney is smoking fiercely. The tall utility pole is standing in the crowd proudly. I wonder what makes those people crowded in this square. They are heading to buildings that have big windows. Is it a factory? Or a government office? From the height, I presume that all the people here are adults.

This painting reminds me of a scene from the drama West World -- crowds of people fill the sight, everyone is doing something, going to somewhere. It seems everyone has their own business in mind. Suddenly, everything stopped. Hundreds of people freezing into one frame, into the same frame. Nobody is even blinking.

Very nice description @Ding. @praveenAru what do you see in this painting?
    @mheredge Thanks for your correction! I'm curious, I'd like to see your version of description too. :D
    It is one of my favourites, so it is very interesting to discover what other people see in this painting @Ding.
  • winter_yellowwinter_yellow Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    > @mheredge said:
    >
    > (Image)

Weather looks gloomy or is just because of the smoke coming from the cap of fireplace, buildings are like Spanish buildings from the look of the tall and thin building on the right side.
    Large group of different people seems heading to two directions, one towards the gate entrance of huge building with a lots of windows that's like a school or art gallery. Some went to small building that is just located in front of the gate.

To me this painting seems to show that people walk in the same path regardless of differences (from how they like gather outside and how their appearance different from others). And have choices to choose where they're going (after they make choices paths change).

> @mheredge said:

>

> (Image)

The weather looks gloomy or it is just because of the smoke coming from the chimney. The buildings are like Spanish buildings from the look of the tall and thin building on the right side.

Large groups of different people seems to be heading in two directions, one towards the gate entrance of a huge building with a lots of windows that's like a school or art gallery. Some are going to a small building that is just located in front of the gate.

To me this painting seems to show that people walk in the same path regardless of differences (from how they like gather outside and how their appearance is different from others). And they have choices to choose where they're going (after they make choices paths change).

@winter_yellow I am intrigued that you see Spanish influences in the buildings.
    LS Lowry's iconic painting 'Going to Work,' was commissioned in 1943 at the height of the Second World War by the War Artists Advisory Committee (WAAC).

Heavy industry was playing a crucial role in the war effort and the WAAC wanted to reflect that in their art collection.

Filled with all the signature features that have made Lowry such a much-loved artist, 'Going to Work,' is set in front of the Mather & Platt engineering works in Manchester as the crowd of matchstick workers flow into the factory. The white sky and ground, originally thought to be snow, is in fact an evocation of industrial haze.

At the time, Lowry was paid 25 guineas for the commission and finished 'Going to Work' in three months. Once complete, it went on display a number of times at home and abroad as the WAAC attempted to promote Britain's Second World War effort.

I love this song.

He painted Salford's smokey tops
    On cardboard boxes from the shops
    And parts of ancoats where I used to play
    I'm sure he once walked down our street
    'Cause he painted kids who had nowt on their feet
    The clothes we wore had all seen better days
    Now they said his works of art were dull
    No room all round, the walls are full
    But Lowry didn't care much anyway
    They said he just paints cats and dogs
    And matchstalk men in boots and clogs
    And Lowry said that's just the way they'll stay
    And he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    He painted kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    Now he takes his brush and he waits
    Outside them factory gates
    To paint his matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    Now canvas and brushes were wearing thin
    When London started calling him
    To come on down and wear the old flat cap
    They said tell us all about your ways
    And all about them Salford days
    Is it true you're just an ordinary chap?
    And he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    He painted kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    Outside them factory gates
    Now Lowry's hang upon the wall
    Beside the greatest of them all
    And even the Mona Lisa takes a bow
    This tired old man with hair like snow
    Told northern folk it's time to go
    The fever came and the good lord mopped his brow
    And he left us matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    He left us kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    Outside them pearly gates
    Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Brian Burke / Michael Coleman
    Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

@Ding, @winter_yellow, @praveenAru
    I'm putting another favourite painting here for you to describe @Ding, @winter_yellow and @praveenAru. @Hermine, @Paulette, @verom_gonzalez you have seen this painting, but maybe you also would like to describe what you see in your own words too.

> @mheredge said:
    > (Quote)
    > @winter_yellow I am intrigued that you see Spanish influences in the buildings.

thank you for corrections, @mheredge
    the one on the right side is kind of just remind me of clock tower haha, and I immediately thought of Spanish structures.
    > @mheredge said:
    > LS Lowry's iconic painting 'Going to Work,' was commissioned in 1943 at the height of the Second World War by the War Artists Advisory Committee (WAAC).
    >
    > Heavy industry was playing a crucial role in the war effort and the WAAC wanted to reflect that in their art collection.
    >
    > Filled with all the signature features that have made Lowry such a much-loved artist, 'Going to Work,' is set in front of the Mather & Platt engineering works in Manchester as the crowd of matchstick workers flow into the factory. The white sky and ground, originally thought to be snow, is in fact an evocation of industrial haze.
    >
    > At the time, Lowry was paid 25 guineas for the commission and finished 'Going to Work' in three months. Once complete, it went on display a number of times at home and abroad as the WAAC attempted to promote Britain's Second World War effort.
    >
    > I love this song.
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmopSVOMSsU
    >
    > He painted Salford's smokey tops
    > On cardboard boxes from the shops
    > And parts of ancoats where I used to play
    > I'm sure he once walked down our street
    > 'Cause he painted kids who had nowt on their feet
    > The clothes we wore had all seen better days
    > Now they said his works of art were dull
    > No room all round, the walls are full
    > But Lowry didn't care much anyway
    > They said he just paints cats and dogs
    > And matchstalk men in boots and clogs
    > And Lowry said that's just the way they'll stay
    > And he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    > He painted kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    > Now he takes his brush and he waits
    > Outside them factory gates
    > To paint his matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    > Now canvas and brushes were wearing thin
    > When London started calling him
    > To come on down and wear the old flat cap
    > They said tell us all about your ways
    > And all about them Salford days
    > Is it true you're just an ordinary chap?
    > And he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    > He painted kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    > Outside them factory gates
    > Now Lowry's hang upon the wall
    > Beside the greatest of them all
    > And even the Mona Lisa takes a bow
    > This tired old man with hair like snow
    > Told northern folk it's time to go
    > The fever came and the good lord mopped his brow
    > And he left us matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs
    > He left us kids on the corner of the street that were sparking clogs
    > Outside them pearly gates
    > Source: LyricFind
    > Songwriters: Brian Burke / Michael Coleman
    > Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
    >
    > @Ding, @winter_yellow, @praveenAru

That's a great song! @mheredge
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm putting another favourite painting here for you to describe @Ding, @winter_yellow and @praveenAru. @Hermine, @Paulette, @verom_gonzalez you have seen this painting, but maybe you also would like to describe what you see in your own words too.
    >
    > (Image)

The sky is cloudy, sun is about to go off, there's a large and small boat at the left side. The sea is calm, a girl is waiting while on the water or she's going to the boats.

To me this painting presents that a person is going to take risks no matter how the struggle is or person is going wait for dreams to come right in front but time is running so you got to move.

I'm really not good at describing :D

> @mheredge said:

> I'm putting another favourite painting here for you to describe @Ding, @winter_yellow and @praveenAru. @Hermine, @Paulette, @verom_gonzalez you have seen this painting, but maybe you also would like to describe what you see in your own words too.

>

> (Image)

The sky is cloudy, and the sun is about to go down. There's a large and small boat at the left side. The sea is calm, a girl is waiting while on the water or she's going to the boats.

To me this painting presents that a person is going to take risks no matter how the struggle is or person is goingto wait for dreams to come right in future but time is running so you have got to move.

I'm really not good at describing :D

Haha I can't find the girl you mention @winter_yellow.
    thank you for corrections! @mheredge, below the sun it's like a shadow of a girl :) or not haha
    I see now what you mean @winter_yellow!

I think it is a buoy. This word sounds the same as 'boy' too, but it is the float that ships can use to tie up to rather than drop their anchor.
  • verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

I'm putting another favourite painting here for you to describe @Ding, @winter_yellow and @praveenAru. @Hermine, @Paulette, @verom_gonzalez you have seen this painting, but maybe you also would like to describe what you see in your own words too.

Thanks for your suggestion, @mheredge . Here is my description of it.

This painting, made mostly in contrasting tones of orange and blue, shows some old ships on the sea during what could be the sunset.

At the right side of the picture, sunlight produces a high shine in the sky, and it also provokes many reflections on the water.
    There are a large white ship and a smaller, dark one in front of it. The smallest ship has a chimney through which fire and smoke come out.
    Both ships are on the left side of the painting, and behind them, there are two other boats with white sails.

On the bottom right side, the colours are darker. There is a dark, small object coming out of the water. And in a more blurred image, there appear to be some buildings on the shore side of that place.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 32,630 mod
    edited October 2020

This painting, made mostly in contrasting tones of orange and blue, shows some old ships on the sea during what could be the sunset.

At the right side of the picture, sunlight produces a high shine in the sky, and it also provokes many reflections on the water.
    There are a large white ship and a smaller, dark one in front of it. The smallest ship has a chimney through which fire and smoke come out.
    Both ships are on the left side of the painting, and behind them, there are two other boats with white sails.

On the bottom right side, the colours are darker. There is a dark, small object coming out of the water. And in a more blurred image, there appear to be some buildings on the shore side of that place.
    edited October 2020

At the right side of the picture, the sunlight produces a bright shine in the sky, and it also provokes many reflections on the water.

On the bottom right side, the colours are darker. There is a dark, small object coming out of the water. And in a more blurred image, there appear to be some buildings on the shoreside of that place.

Well spotted @verom_gonzalez - I didn't notice the tiny boats in the background until you pointed them out (and I can magnify my screen, so it was then easy to see).
    @Paulette did you intend to copy @verom_gonzalez's text?

edited October 2020
    Thanks for your help, @mheredge!
    I also had to enlarge the image to see its details. What can I say? My eyesight is not what it used to be.

@mheredge yes I did because I also wanted to post the picture here, I tried several times and I didn't succeed, then I tried to copy the painting in the text of Verus, and I didn't know that also the text was copied, I did'nt check the text afterwards, I was disaponted I didn't succeed and I gave up and closed the site with the supposition it was my text.

I see a beautiful setting sun that transforms the sea into an amazing shade of orange and blue-purple colours.
    The painting also conveys a certain calm, the waves are calm. Two ships are ready to dock in the harbor, I see a few buildings in the background.
    Both of the ships reminiscent on the one side, to a kind of ruler because of the big sailing ship, and the smaller cargo boat reminds of traders.To me it feels like contrary of luxury and labor.
    Because of the brilliant coloursand the calmly painted waves, it impresses me, and gives me the feelings of natural softness for a quiet evening ahead.
    edited October 2020
    Paulette said:

Dear Paulette,

Your comment made me remember an anecdote about Martha Argerich, a famous and excellent Argentine pianist.
    While she was studying piano, she shared her bedroom with another student. Martha was intelligent, but a bit lazy. So, instead of reading the works herself, she memorized them by listening to her roommate.
    Then, at the moment of her lesson, her teacher realized it because Martha made the same mistakes than the other student! :D
    Post edited by verom_gonzalez on
    Sorry @verom_gonzalez if I disappointed you but I am very clumsy with using computer devices and after I had written my text I couldn't post the image I had opened and I tried to copy yours but I didn't saw anything of the picture and I didn't saw that it was your text instead of mine.

Paulette said:

Sorry @verom_gonzalez if I disappointed you but I am very clumsy with using computer devices and after I had written my text I couldn't post the image I had opened and I tried to copy yours but I didn't saw anything of the picture and I didn't saw that it was your text instead of mine.

Never mind, Paulette. I imagined you must had some trouble. :)
    @Paulette

I see a beautiful setting sun that transforms the sea into an amazing shade of orange and blue-purple colours.
    The painting also conveys a certain calm, the waves are calm. Two ships are ready to dock in the harbor. I see a few buildings in the background.
    Both of the ships are reminiscent in the one way of a kind of ruler because of the big sailing ship, and the smaller cargo boat reminds of me of traders??. To me it feels like a contradictionof luxury and labor.
    Because of the brilliant colours and the calmly painted waves, it impresses me, and gives me the feelings of natural softness for a quiet evening ahead.

@Paulette be careful of spelling. If you spell in the British English way, try to be consistent (colour) but then it should also be harbour.

The little boat in front is in fact a tug, pulling the larger fighting ship.