Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

Marianne's Monday 19 October discussion: Goals and should we keep them secret?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 18 in People and Society
This first short TED talk suggests that you should keep your goals a secret. Psychology tests have proven that telling someone your goal makes it less likely to happen. So if this is the case, what can we do? (5 minutes)

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself/transcript?referrer=playlist-goals

Then this other very short talk gives practical tips on how dreams never come to fruition (3 minutes).

https://www.ted.com/talks/bel_pesce_5_ways_to_kill_your_dreams/transcript?referrer=playlist-goals#t-28848

On a more positive note, this speaker talks about setting the right goals (17 minutes).

https://www.ted.com/talks/john_doerr_why_the_secret_to_success_is_setting_the_right_goals/transcript?language=en

On a more practical level, how do you set life goals? These are the important goals in life. Often they include things like get a job, get married, have kids, buy a house. But they don't have to be so big, especially if you already have attained these particular goals.
You can think about your goals by brainstorming what you want from life, just spending 5-10 minutes to think about it. Think about everything in your life that is really important to you and think about the couple of things you've really been pondering lately or your biggest struggle in life. You can then set your goals from points you have been thinking about. Try to clarify each of your goals with a specific target and outcome. Next build a plan and then look at how you can tackle them, one at a time.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/4-easy-steps-to-setting-your-life-goals_b_9343340?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABO244c82J59dBupf4M9hZ3ZhLBdfD5BmZKNw21S7klTNJ1fUqpe5uCUMDg6hSUdxFR3Zd1KN7hv0kYKFEemFqLU_GnMQ6GhtRcYJ3QglSgdnf8zVyrjUdkEqhqiyjxoE8fGPR9qRe7NXWal0d1mNCKspm9dHYrc7_c4C6yVZx_M

This article looks at THE VALUE OF PERSONAL GOAL IDEAS: FINDING AN AIM IN LIFE. This article gives practical tips on setting goals. I am not sure I'd be able to think of 100, but think about some goals that you'd like to set yourself. And as long as you suggest them in the way explained in the first TED, why not share them when we discuss this topic.
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• AlexaAlexa Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I think it isn’t a bad idea to tell friends about your goal. In this way you force yourself and can’t postpone anymore to take steps for reach objective. You don’t want blush with shame ,answering the question. „ How did you get on with ....? „
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    @Alexa this is a very good point. I know I am going to feel very ashamed the next time I meet a friend who suggested 'dry October' (not drinking any alcohol for the whole of the month). I said I'd join him but I have failed! >:)
  • winter_yellowwinter_yellow Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I think we should keep it for a while until it happen for example the house that you bought is all done and you are now moving to that new house that's when you are going to tell them, it should be over or done not at start. It's like jinxing your plans and preventing it from happening.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it can be a good idea to share goals however, as friends can often recommend places or even know of someone selling whatever it is that you're looking for @winter_yellow.