Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

Marianne's Friday 23 October presentation: Which famous person would you like to meet?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in People and Society
Describe a famous person who you most would have liked to have met and had the chance to talk. This person can be dead or alive, can be famous for any reason and from anywhere in the world. If they don't speak English or your language, don't worry, we can have a translator to help!

You need to say:
Who and why this person;
What made them famous;
What questions would you ask them and what would you want to talk about;
What would their world have been like;
Would you like to be famous and why or why not?

You will need to do a little research about the background of this person if you don't already know this well.

I think if I had a chance to meet someone famous I'd quite like to meet Queen Elizabeth. I am a bit of a republican at heart but over the years and especially more recently I have come to respect a lot more the role she has and her as a person.

She is famous across the world as the Queen of Britain, but she is also the constitutional monarch of 15 of the the Commonwealthcountries, (a political association of 54 member states, nearly all former territories of the British Empire). When she was born, no one expected that she would become queen, as her uncle was king and her father was never expected to become the the ruling monarch. However, from the age of ten, when her father became king, she was brought up to fill the role and was crowned in 1952 at the age of 28.

I would be interested to hear her stories from when she was serving in the Auxiliary Territorial Service during the final months of the Second World War. (She was born the same time as my father). She trained as a driver and mechanic and was given the rank of honorary junior commander (female equivalent of captain at the time).

I would also ask her about her state visits with Prince Philip during the 1950s and 60s when she travelled to many very remote and exotic parts of the world as part of her duties to visit the countries that still owed their allegiance to the Crown. I'd be especially interested to talk to her about her visit to Nepal in 1961. She actually visited two times.

1961 State visit to Nepal (Not much changed in many ways!)

I have watch The Crown on TV and I believe that this is a fairly accurate depiction of life in the palace and the sort of day to day trials and tribulations as monarch that she has had to endure. I feel quite sorry for her as she is not able to openly come out with her ideas on how the country is governed, but I love her subtle signals she uses to hint at her views. For example, after the Brexit referendum and when she had to go to the Houses of Parliament to open the new session with Theresa May as Prime Minister, she wore a beautiful European Union flag-coloured blue suit with a hat studded with gold stars!

I think I would only like to be famous if it is to support an important cause that I believe in, like Greta Thurnberg for climate change. Then being famous can sometimes have a positive influence and do good. However I hate how people who are famous are always criticised and cannot easily escape the limelight. I like going around incognito and would hate to be recognised everywhere I went.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-40356113
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• HermineHermine Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭✭
    For this task my chosen famous person is: Mrs Michelle Obama

Mrs Obama was born in January 1964 in Chicago. Her father was a worker and her mother a secretary, they had already a two years old son at that time. Some of her ancestors were slaves, but one of her father‘s family was even a slaveholder.
    All those backgrounds were the best – so I think – for being the Frist Lady.
    She grew up happily and seemingly she was a bright child. Although a teacher told her that she isn’t the right student for further education. Nevertheless she was at the Harvard University and finished with best grades. She never forgot those words spoken from a teacher.

The search mashine Wiki tells that she worked in Champers for Property rights and Marketing. Then arrived the day where she saw first time her husband in future Mr Barack Obama. Soon both of them became a couple, they married and got two girls.

She became famous for the Frist Lady of the fourty-four President Barack Obama. Not only her status made her famous, no it was her positive behavier and attitude towards people of all races. She never went tired to tell young people to study keenly and never listen to people who judge you by your appearence.
    She was motherly wanted the best for her country and this is a property of black people, which I appreciate so much.

Although she was serving her husand withhin 8 years she never forgot about herself that she is a single individual. Let me say it frankly she wasn’t a pet neither for her husband nor for the White House.

If I get the chance to talk with her, I would ask her the following questions: What goals do you still have? We all know you left your profession for your husbands benefit and it took you away eight years of processing in your job. Would you fance doing a similar job? Would that be still possible?
    What is in your mind? How do you see the world? What are the greatest challenges in future for the blue planet? How honest are the leaders in the world? Is there at least one who does lead just for love of their country and not for filling their own pockets?

Mrs. Obama I really would like to see you sitting on the throne of the White House, because you are a women and they don’t tend to start a war. You come from a house where the most of all come from.
    I found a nice anectode form her: She always thinks that her brother is more in faver of your mother. Once day they met in the White House and her mother looked at her watch and saying where is my son, yet? And Michelle responded by saying: Mum I am the First Lady what else shall I do that you put me first? I like that saying.
    And I know another story told by her: Her children asked her for persmission to sleep with friends last time in the White House. The kitchen offers everything you can think of, even the graziest things will be served.
    In the morning, the kids were still sleeping and Mrs Obama woke them up and said to the girls. ‚Get up the Trump’s are going to arrive soon.
    Although I don’t believe that a Trump and his wife would ever sleep in a bed that was used by the Obama’s. Maybe they were sleeping in the guest section.

I do not want to be famous and standing in the light. People are grazy they let you down as soon as you can think of and all you ever have said will be turned to the opposite. They will bush you and they just will see you and your success but only a few will be interested how you really feel inside.

But I would like to do something that is growned of success.

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 35,510 mod
    My choice of famous person:

I would like to meet David Attenborough, the world famous biologist and expert of nature.
    David Attenborough, is a 94 year old purebred Brit living in London.

- What made him famous;
    He is perhaps the most famous maker of documentaries about the earth. In 1952 the biologist started at the British broadcaster BBC. In the decades that followed he made dozens of films about life on earth. He provided the series with legendary commentary with his characteristic quiet narrative voice.

My fascination for him is because of his protective commitment to everything that concerns nature.
    He has the gift to make everything concerning nature so interesting. His also made descriptive stories about every animal (no matter how small). They are so fantastic that you can crawl into the skin of this animal yourself. He describes every part so beautiful, and so vivid.

Through him I got to know and appreciate the rarest animals. He portrays the true value of every life on earth. He indicates why a certain species is important, but also what happens when the biological balance is disturbed.
    Because of him I discovered the importance of all biotopic places.

He can describe nature as overwhelmingly beautiful. For me he really is the inspirer of nature.
    My appreciation for him is also that he brought everything to such fantastic results in the sixties with much simpler cameras than today. His photoshoots are so modest so empathic for everything he has filmed.
    He has a lot of patience because he sometimes needed to wait for hours to take the good shoot. Nowadays a camera takes pictures a rato 50 - 60 per second.

In his active years he did it with classic filmrolls, only one shoot at the right moment. That's is quiete interesting as you know how quick animals or insects can be.
    In his documentaries you can also feel the love for the animals, some animals even made friends with them.

- What questions would you ask him and what would you want to talk about:

My questions would be
    -In what way did the love of nature become so great, when it all began?
    Because he grew up in an industrial town, Leicester, and there was little nature.

-Maybe also a question for the future' : " What he thinks about the state of nature in the future" Now that the temperature is rising, there is so much pollution, and the world's population is increasing?

-Had you ever thought in your early years, the fifties, that with the rise of plastic, this would be so polluting in the twenties of the next century?

I want also talk about his latest documentary, that the choices made in the next twenty years will determine the fate of all life on earth. This new series has been shown on Netflix since the beginning of April.

- Would you like to be famous and why or why not?

For me it is important to be appreciated and recognized for who I am and what I am and what I do.
    I especially like a lot of social interaction in a friendly atmosphere, not with too many cameras, because I want to be who I am and I don't want to be imposed what the protocol says.
    I don't think I will be very famous, but to be a little famous is okay and if in the future, someone, sometimes, somethings tells about me it will make it perfect.

If I have to make a choice to be famous for me, I would like to be famous for my commitment for people, just as Florence Nightingale.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hermine said:

For this task my chosen famous person is: Mrs Michelle Obama

Mrs Obama was born in January 1964 in Chicago. Her father was a worker and her mother a secretary. They had already a two years old son at that time. Some of her ancestors were slaves, but one of her father‘s family was even a slaveholder.
    All those backgrounds were the best – so I think – for being the Frist Lady.
    She grew up happily and seemingly she was a bright child. Although a teacher told her that she wasn’t the right student for further education. Nevertheless she went to Harvard University and finished with the best grades. She never forgot those words spoken from a teacher.

The search machine (is the browser, but Wiki is the website) Wiki tells us that she worked in Champers for Property Rights and Marketing. Then arrived the day when she saw for the first time her future husband Mr Barack Obama. Soon both of them became a couple, they married and got two girls.

She became famous as the First Lady of the forty-fourth president, President Barack Obama. Not only her status made her famous, no, it was her positive behaviour and attitude towards people of all races. She never was tired to tell young people to study keenly and never listen to people who judge you by your appearance.
    She was motherly and wanted the best for her country and that this also belonged to black people, which I appreciate so much.

Although she was serving her husbbut for 8 years she never forgot about herself that she is a single individual. Let me say it frankly, she wasn’t a rollover neither for her husband nor for the White House.

If I got the chance to talk with her, I would ask her the following questions: What goals do you still have? We all know you left your profession for your husband's benefit and it took you away from eight years of working in your job. Would you fancy doing a similar job? Would that be still possible?
    What is in your mind? How do you see the world? What are the greatest challenges in future for the green? planet? How honest are the leaders in the world? Is there at least one who does lead just for love of their country and not for filling their own pockets?

Mrs. Obama, I really would like to see you sitting on the throne of the White House, because you are a women and they don’t tend to start wars. You come from a house where the most of all come from????.
    I found a nice anecdote about her: She always thinks that her brother is more in favour with heryour mother. Once day they met in the White House and her mother looked at her watch and said, 'Where is my son, yet?' And Michelle responded by saying: 'Mum I am the First Lady what else shall I do that you put me first? I like that saying.
    And I know another story told by her: Her children asked her for permission to sleep with friends one last time in the White House. The kitchen offers everything you can think of, even the craziest things will be served.
    In the morning, the kids were still sleeping and Mrs Obama woke them up and said to the girls.'Get up, the Trumps are going to arrive soon.'
    Although I don’t believe that a Trump and his wife would ever sleep in a bed that was used by the Obamas. Maybe they were sleeping in the guest section.

I do not want to be famous and standing in the limelight. People are crazy, they let you down as soon as you can think of and all you ever have said will be turned to mean the opposite. They will bush?? you and they just will see you and your success but only a few will be interested how you really feel inside.

But I would like to do something that is growned??? of success.

@Hermine: apostrophes!

Plural nouns usually end in "s" but you don't need an " ' ".

So "dogs and cats" and "the Trumps."

However if something belongs to someone, you need an apostrophe before the "s": Mrs Obama's bed. If the thing belongs to several people, then the apostrophe goes after the "s": the Trumps' bedroom.

Speak marks go before and after anything that is said. They often appear like an apostrophe, though strictly speaking they should be like ''. And normally a comma is used before or after the word 'said'. Even though there is a comma and not a full stop, the first word in what is inside the speech marks should always be capitalized.

She said, 'Please go to your room.'
    edited October 2020
    @mheredge, thanks for the extra help!
    Post edited by Hermine on
    Hi Marianne, sorry I meant crowned and not growned.... .

A while ago I made a more horrible mistake, I used an ‚s‘ instead of a ‚d‘ by the word ‚teste ‚. Lynne corrected me.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    :D