Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
Learn English May

Fashion

mheredgemheredge Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 11 in Fashion and Beauty
The speaker tells us about how he discovered the power of what we wear and the power of fashion. "Fashion can communicate our differences to the world for us. And with this simple act of truth, I realized that these differences -- they stopped being our shame. They became our expressions, expressions of our very unique identities. And we should express ourselves, wear what we want. What's the worst that could happen? The fashion police are going to get you for being so last season?"

https://www.ted.com/talks/kaustav_dey_how_fashion_helps_us_express_who_we_are_and_what_we_stand_for/transcript

This speaker also talks about the true power of a good outfit, in particular fancy dress.

https://www.ted.com/talks/lucy_clayton_the_true_power_of_a_good_outfit/transcript

However this talk discusses how fashion trends can be predicted and kills individuality.

https://www.ted.com/talks/mahir_can_isik_how_companies_predict_fashion_trends_and_kill_individuality

This is refuted however by this TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/steve_brown_how_data_is_driving_the_future_of_fashion

Jessie is a girl after my own heart with her talk about wearing nothing new however.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jessi_arrington_wearing_nothing_new/transcript

What are your views on fashion? Do you like to follow the latest fashions? What do fashion brands mean to you?
Post edited by mheredge on
Tagged:

Comments

• Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the fact that fashion is the expression of ourself. Who we are is expressed in someway in everything we do. Fashion too. I work on fashion trade as sales assistant and I've worked for prestigius brands on beautiful place called Rinascente, a department luxury store. Unfortunately, in this moment with this Coronavirus problem I'm not working, but I miss it so much.

Anyway, fashion is can expressed in many way, not only with luxury or branded clothings. It's also funny, you can mix and match colours, form, accessorizes, texture and be yourself.
    Indeed that's which I dislike of fashion is the omologation. All people dress all the same or people that dress in a particular way only because someone or any influencer, tell them. I disagree with this.
  • shikha_vashisthshikha_vashisth Posts: 38 ✭✭
    > @Cinzia80 said:
    > I agree with the fact that fashion is the expression of ourself. Who we are is expressed in someway in everything we do. Fashion too. I work on fashion trade as sales assistant and I've worked for prestigius brands on beautiful place called Rinascente, a department luxury store. Unfortunately, in this moment with this Coronavirus problem I'm not working, but I miss it so much.
    >
    > Anyway, fashion is can expressed in many way, not only with luxury or branded clothings. It's also funny, you can mix and match colours, form, accessorizes, texture and be yourself.
    > Indeed that's which I dislike of fashion is the omologation. All people dress all the same or people that dress in a particular way only because someone or any influencer, tell them. I disagree with this.

For me, fashion is in whatever way you look good. When you look good, you feel good. :)
    edited November 2020
    @shikha_vashisth
    Yea, but one thing doesn't exclude the other.
    It's how I've said about influencer. I wear what I like, not what someone else tells me.
    Post edited by Cinzia80 on
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I have always been keen on colours and how they can represent how you feel and the image you want to project. I am a 'winter' colour person, which suits me as I love reds, blues, black and white. Yellow does nothing for me, and though I like grey, I know that it doesn't really suit me so well @Cinzia80.

I have never been one to follow trends, but sometimes it can be almost unavoidable when most clothes shops are selling variations on the same idea.

But it is not just what you wear that counts, it is how you wear things. I still can't fathom how French women can look so elegant - even wearing a sack @shikha_vashisth!

• shikha_vashisthshikha_vashisth Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Sometimes very simple attire looks great on you. I think, fashion has no particular definition. Whatever goes well on your body and look is all we need. And people should never follow celebrities. Instead they can get inspiration from them. @mheredge @Cinzia80

I like shirt dresses and planning to buy one. Just need to convince hubby 😉
    I love bags *__* I really atratted by them XD
    And shirts whit a little twinkle (I love twinkles)
    Accessories can really be the finishing touch that changes everything. I think this is also where the French (and Italians) often get it right.

I have to say that in these days of masks, I have been trying to find the nicest, colourful cloth masks to colour coordinate with the clothes I'm wearing.

I even have a fun mask I love (being a tiger fan).

ahahah very nice the mask with tiger !!!
    Instead in this Covid period I don't wear nothing fashion. I can't stand. I don't wanna wast my fashion clothes for nothing, so I go out weared very ... bad U__U
    I had to go out to the bank yesterday @Cinzia80. Normally I'd go dressed however I please, jeans and t-shirt and nothing special. But as it is such an exciting event during lockdown to actually have a real reason to go out, I made an effort and wore a shirt and instead of my usual pumps, some ankle boots.
    edited November 2020
    The most exciting place where I gone after the lockdown was the Dentist :smile:
    The most exciting place where I gone after the lockdown was the Dentist XD
    Well the bank was the highlight of my day today. I decided pink was the colour to wear so my pink mask latched my pink pumps and pink scarf.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,901 mod
    edited November 2020
    Oh dear, I am a boring person when it comes to fashion. I am as unfashionable as anyone can be, you are lucky if you see me in coordinating anything, and all my masks are medical ones.

Anyway, I just popped in to the discussion because I was confused by the dates - @mheredge ? Are you time travelling again, or are you just being super organised?
    I'm trying to be super organaised this time @Teach. Plus I'm hoping that by publishing dates well in advance I can entice new members to come along and join in the discussions or presentations too ( @Cinzia80 hint, hint....). And of course anyone is very welcome to make any comments on the topics even if they don't want to join the speaking sessions.
    @Teach I only wear medical masks too.

@mheredge Speaking sessions scare me. I still not comfortable with speach English, even though I'm improve in writing and reading ^^"

But backward to the topic, having worked on a luxury department store I can say that often you pay only the brand but not the right quality for the product you're buying. Many brands are only based on their logo or current trend but if you touch the tissue, is not good as the price would required.

Instead there are many other brands which have the right quality-price ratio.
    @Cinzia80 you are very welcome to just listen. You don't have to speak. There are several members who are very shy or don't feel confident speaking, but they still join to listen or just to say hello.
    @Cinzia80 - You can join any session in listening mode. Just let the organiser know. Eventually we will annoy you so much, you will have to speak.
    @Cinzia80 today there were a couple of new members who joined us, happy to listen.
    @Teach @mheredge How and where there is this live session ?
    @Cinzia80 this session is on Monday 14 December starting at 8am. Every Monday there is a discussion about a topic that I have listed here, in the English sessions section. Then on Fridays at 8am I suggest topics to give a little presentation about. This gives you the chance to talk about something for a few minutes without any interruptions. As I said before, you can just join to listen if you don't want to speak. There is absolutely no pressure!
    The British Fashion Awards is typically an evening of turbo-charged air-kissing, wildly expensive party dresses and extended acceptance speeches from tearful models.

Instead of the usual categories of fashion icon and brand of the year, 20 designers were recognised for making positive changes in the industry, with kudos going to those who had produced personal protective equipment (PPE), celebrated frontline workers and campaigned for inclusivity.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/dec/03/british-fashion-awards-move-online-heralds-different-set-of-priorities?utm_term=14a502c5167c91c34fcc6688c7fa1c78&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Frontline workers such as Aziza, a night bus station controller for Transport for London, were given starring roles as models.
    @Cinzia80 if you want to listen in on the speaking session (or join in), we'll be discussing fashion next Monday at 8am.
    I don't know if I can be there.
    Anyway I'm currently studing the "armocromia" I don't know what term can explain that mean in English language, but it's a study that let to know what are our best fittin colours according with our natural colours: the skin colour, the eyes colour, the hair colour and then match the correct palette to better valorise our immage.

It's a very interesting reading. Maybe later I can try to explain it better.
    I know what you mean @Cinzia80. I'm not even sure I know the English word to describe it. But I did this years ago and found it very interesting. It actually didn't suggest anything different to what I was already doing myself, but for my friends (their colouring was much different to mine - blond and mousey brown), they were very surprised by the results.

Me, I'm 'winter', so black, red and darker blues are my colours. Peach colour, yellow and orange do nothing for me. Light grey is to be avoided though dark grey works, and white shirts and not cream coloured. Of course I don't always follow the rules, but in general I find these guidelines are fairly accurate.

I remember we also had another very interesting session on things like the kind of jewellery and accessories that suited us well too. For me silver works far better than gold for example.

Personalised colour matching or colour analysis are the closest I can think of to describe this.

https://www.colormepretty.co/categories-2/4-season-color-analysis/

https://www.colormepretty.co/categories-2/4-season-color-analysis/winter-type/

• lillililli Posts: 3
    I suppose that Fashion has become more and more important throughout this century. Just notice the development of the big brands like Zara or Mango that are selling clothes in masses. Our generation isn't focused on quality, it's focused on the amount. We have become what they call a consumer society. We buy without considering if we really need it or not. I think that advertising has played a major role in this development too. Nowadays we are just flooded with ads. If we could, we would probably buy everything. What do you guys think, will the Corona pandemic let people rethink their consumer habits? Do you believe that people are going to become aware of it spending so much time at home?
    @lilli I think fashion has always been around, only now it is as you say, a lot about cheap quantity, and not just exclusive luxury. And fashion is not just about clothes, but anything seen as trendy or all the rage, or popular.

You make a very good point about the impact of the covid pandemic. Fashion does seem to have gone on hold this year. But I'm not convinced it has killed off people's desire to spend. Of course many people have less money but online sales have been booming. IKEA and Amazon have never had it so good.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭✭
    Fashion

If we want we could have a look far back in time where the idea came up of dressing properly, for putting a statement, to showing off or maybe to represent a particular important person.
    (Look at our former finance minister, he wore best clothes and spoke poshly and at the end he was dedected as a thief, who has to go to prison now!!)

I think the advocates and rich ones kept an eye on those fine appearances firstly and then the other group of people followed. The French people wanted the finest fabric and even stole the methodes of production from other countries and that not only for clothes.

They were interested in producing mirrow, porcelain and many other things.

I like to watch fashion shows, but not all of them. In earler times there when famous models walked down the cat walk our eyes were more fixed on the models than on their displays. They sometimes earned more money compaired to the designer. So they decided to recruit slim coathangers who are often at the verge of starving. But this is another issue.

My personal garderobe is casual. When I meet people I like to wear nice, clean clothes and the hair are combed. Recently I found a great item at the tip, a tall mirror where I can see myself in whole. I can recommend this to everyone here, because you see mistakes in your chosen outfits.
    There is no need to buy items all the time, but to combine basics with items of trendy colour is the trick and will hit the nai.

When I make an effort of my appearance I can see people take me more seriously and quite a few men look at me – an admired glimpse does even a married woman good.

All in all should fit. Even make-up should not be worn as a mask, it should be rather be a underline of your unique – so I find.

Recently I met a woman in her 90’s who is very accurate of wearing her choosen items. Even although her pension isn’t very high she tries to wear good quality – with the help of her daughter-in-law’s helping hand to they find clothes at second hands shops.

Only a few people here run around ‚dressed to the nines‘.
    Hermine said:

Fashion

If we want we could have a look far back in time where the idea came up of dressing properly, for making a statement, to showing off or maybe to represent ourself as a particular important person.
    (Look at our former finance minister, he wore the best clothes and spoke poshly and at the end he was detected as a thief, who has to go to prison now!!)

I think the advocates and rich ones kept an eye on their fine appearances firstly and then the other groups of people followed. The French people wanted the finest fabrics and even stole the methodes of production from other countries and that was not only for clothes.

They were interested in producing mirrors, porcelain and many other things.

I like to watch fashion shows, but not all of them. In earlier times there when famous models walked down the cat walk, our eyes were more fixed on the models than on their displays. They sometimes earned more money compaired to the designer. So they decided to recruit slim coathangers who are often on the verge of starving. But this is another issue.

My personal warderobe is casual. When I meet people I like to wear nice, clean clothes and the hair is combed. Recently I found a great item at the tip, a tall mirror where I can see myself totally (from head to toe). I can recommend this to everyone here, because you see mistakes in your chosen outfits.
    There is no need to buy items all the time, but to combine basics with items of trendy colour is the trick and will hit the nail on the head.

When I make an effort on my appearance I can see people take me more seriously and quite a few men look at me – an admired glimpse does even a married woman good.

All in all, everything should fit. Even make-up should not be worn as a mask, it should be rather be a underlining of your uniqueness – so I find.

Recently I met a woman in her 90’s who is very precise in wearing her choosen items. Even although her pension isn’t very high she tries to wear good quality – with the help of her daughter-in-law’s helping hand to they find clothes at second hands shops.

Only a few people here run around 'dressed to the nines‘.

I think I am out of practice completely in dressing up but like you, try to wear basics with that additional splash of colour. I have long wanted a bright red pullover because I like to wear black trousers or black skirts. So I was quite chuffed when I found a red mohair cardigan a few days ago. I was actually coming from a wool shop where I had been looking for wool to knit such an item.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Marianne, many thanks for you correction.