Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

Tuesday Night Owls - 1 December 2020 - Differences between in person and virtual leadership

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,337 Teacher
edited January 18 in People and Society
We read about the different skills which are preferred in virtual and in person leaders:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200827-why-in-person-leaders-may-not-be-the-best-virtual-ones

Vocabulary Top 10:

competency - the ability to do something well : the quality or state of being competent (competent = able to do something well or well enough to meet a standard)

hunch - a belief or idea about something (especially a future event) that is not based on facts or evidence

vexation - something that worries or annoys you

anoint - to officially or formally choose (someone) to do or to be something

proxy - a person who is given the power or authority to do something (such as to vote) for someone else

in the wake of - used to say what happens after and often as a result of something

sway - to cause (someone) to agree with you or to share your opinion

be up front - not keeping anything secret or hidden; honest and direct

continuum - a range or series of things that are slightly different from each other and that exist between two different possibilities

gregarious - enjoying the company of other people

What qualities do you think make a good leader?
Do they change depending on whether the person is leading face-to-face or virtually?

@fatimuccia @Alexa @alaa @Danne @Bassa @FerZaca
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• fatimucciafatimuccia Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Leadership is a substantial potentiality of the individual to guide a team either in-person or virtually.

To be a leader requires many qualifications. First, in addition to being competent in his job, the leader should have the capacity to communicate smoothly with his squad and be impactful in motivating it to the success. Second, to be capable to support a team’s member when needs assistance, means to establish personal relationship and not to be authoritarian. Third, to be patient and to have the ability to listen to the group and involve them in taking crucial decisions. Hence, they will give the best of them because they will feel free and indispensable.

Leading face-to-face and virtually both need all the criteria I mentioned above. However, the virtual leader should have another qualification is the skills to use technological tools which give him the ability in managing the team efficiently. Furthermore, it’s fundamental to have realistic expectations in his job.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it makes sense that virtual leaders are those more organized who get things done, bring the project to its successful end.

In face-to-face team meeting it's usually the most pleasant looking extrovert talkative assertive theatrical person who stands out among the other teammates, who in turn immediately fall in the darkness, shadowed by their instant self-appointed star status.

The would-be leader sneaks the stage for themselves, cunningly holds onto the spotlight, struggle to glows and tower in the imaginative transfixed minds of all their colleagues standing by them, who had been craving to find a leader who could spearhead them to the victory.

The in-person leader, shortly after the spell is cast over the audience, gripping them to hang on their lips, relaxes taking on an acquiescent voice tone, as though it was already unmistakably established, unanimously ackowledged beyond any reasonable doubt their prominent role as the one leader of the pack.

That's the dynamics which I suspect mainly operate in any workplace teams, when its members have to anoint the leader among them when everyone is both at the same professional level and organizational hierarchical ranking.

Nevertheless these dynamics have nothing to do with the need to assess the real skills a leader must have which are anything but the few trifling negligible and ridiculous ones mentioned above.

I agree with @fatimuccia that a real leader hasn't to be authoritarian but authoritative. This brings a great difference in my language Italian at least. An authoritarian person forces people to do what they want by their power alone, they prod their subordinates under the threat of vexation acts or disciplinary measures since they lack any charisma and prestige which, alone, could persuade and motivate people into doing whatever it is that's requested.

An authoritative approach, on the other hand, means you have the skills to persuade your teammates to follow your way just out of the expertise, abilities trustworthiness you have shown to have as your characteristic professional and personal traits.

When everyone acknowledge you this prestige it just does the trick: you are undoubtedly the authentic leader. That's the triumph of meritocracy, for once.