Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

Tuesday Night Owls - 2 February 2020 - How a degree became required

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,337 Teacher
edited April 18 in People and Society
The article discusses the idea of 'degree inflation', where jobs that didn't need a university degree in the past now require one:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210126-degree-inflation-how-the-four-year-degree-became-required

Vocabulary Top 10:

compulsory - required by a law or rule; having the power of forcing someone to do something

discrepancy - a difference especially between things that should be the same

shimmy up/down - climb quickly up or down by gripping with one's arms and legs

stark - very obvious; very plain and easily seen

proxy - something that can be used to represent something else

disenchanted - no longer happy or satisfied with something

turnover - the rate at which people leave a place, company, etc., and are replaced by others

connotation - an idea or quality that a word makes you think about in addition to its meaning

no-brainer - a decision or choice that is very easy to make and requires very little thought

trickle down - to spread from the upper levels of a society, organization, etc., to the lower levels — used especially to describe the movement of money through an economic system

Do most jobs require a university degree now?
Do you think that a degree will be a basic requirement for a job in the future, or will experience and other qualifications be enough?

@VictorJosé @Monika @Danne @Alexa @Paulette @Ezîza @jujuba
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Not necessarily the most jobs require a university degree. I mean the biggest part of the labor market needs a minimum of technical knowledge, but it can be developed in a short-term course. In most of the cases, the companies themselves deliver it, focused on maintaining their employees and develop their competencies can spend less money if compared with the fired costs for the old employee and the hired costs for the new employee, further probably this new employee also must be trained.
    Tell the trust, a university degree is a kind of guarantee to the companies, represented by the interviewer in the case of a job interview, in which the candidate has expertise acquired with a lot of materials studied in different subjects attended during university degree. Somehow, our mind is like a bladder ball that more we filling it, more expand and if we stopped, the material won´t return to the original shape. This way, if we expand our mind acquiring more and more acknowledge, increasingly we will be available to gain new skills and it is the profile the employees desire for the companies.
    This isn´t mean which the middle-skills jobs couldn´t gain acknowledgment or skill by self-learning process empowered with a lot of materials available on the media or by a job-rotation program with the senior employee supporting them.
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 49 ✭✭
    A degree is became required , it is true. It isn’t only became, it already was required. You exist as long as your papers do. Therefore young people should not hesitate and go for a degree , otherwise they will stuck on some low positions, even if they will suit for something better.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    The great university con: how the British degree lost its value

Never before has Britain had so many qualified graduates. And never before have their qualifications amounted to so little.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2019/08/great-university-con-how-british-degree-lost-its-value
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my country Italy the problem has long been the fact that the majority of university degrees required 4 to 5 years courses; in the case of medical disciplines then it could take up to 10 years to have a specialized graduate able to do the profession.

To make things even worse undergraduates usually couldn't keep pace with the number of prescribed exams to pass for each year resulting in additional years to the finishing line.

In order to reduce this extended educational period before accessing the job market, the university courses were split in two: first level degrees involving a three-years courses and full level degrees adding to them the remaining complementary two years as it was before the renovation.

By this modification the legislator meant to make university education more efficient as well. First level graduated should be able to get the skills needed to apply for the jobs dealing with their disciplines of study in a much shorter period of time.

Nevertheless the ' degree inflation ' wasn't a global concern yet. This phenomenon probably started happening just in the last decade or so. Previously ordinary jobs could still be obtained with an high school diploma which I suspect is still the top education level for the majority of people already employed.

Also working as a nurse once required just a diploma or an even lower education certificate to be eligible for the position. Now you need a specific university degree which means several years on the books, exams passed and money spent for the enrolment's cost.

Then you get employed as a nurse only to find out labourers employed as subalterns to you perform almost the same tasks as you; have access to nearly the same instruments as you; manage virtually the same scientific notions as you.

Then where's the trap ? What's the trick ? Who's profiting and who's losing by putting in place this sly expedient ?

Firstly I think in this case it's employers who are profiting the most. By accepting exclusively applications by graduated nurse as is mandatory according by the law, they potentially have margin to lower the wages of nurses who are not on occasion of contract renovation.

At the same time the new employees would bring fresh energies while being paid under the expected salary for professionals like them; leaving them with the bad feeling, regret of having spent much time and money over books for nothing.

Then, to make up for such frustrating loss and earn appropriately, newly hired highly educated nurses are dangled with the prospect of working as a freelance. This means the employer has much less payment obligations ( social security contributions, accident insurance, tax substitute exactor etc. ).

Employers also reduce their permanent staff as registered on their books of accounts.

Probably they can suffer from a more frequent turn-over and the ghosting phenomenon either. However overall I think the upsides still largely surpass the downsides considering the huge world-wide job demands which is constantly on the rise.

Secondly the universities and colleges are profiting a lot by the degree inflation too. This monstrous industry of both public and private degree-mills is attracting millions of innocent deluded students who are drilled into since their childhood with the false idea that to be successful in life you have to reach a degree.

In reality the price paid for just a bunch of useless notions is too high and disproportionate except for just a few cases probably.

This is the great illusion which has to be firmly debunked once and for all.

I think one to two years maximum of technological, managerial, scientific notions are still sufficient to face the majority of middle level works nowadays.