Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Monday Night Owls - 8 February 2021 - Will emoji become a language?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher
edited April 18 in Words Words Words
The article explained how emojis are becoming more common, and whether they could develop into a new language system:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151012-will-emoji-become-a-new-language

Vocabulary Top 9/10:

wrath - extreme anger

mean - (adjective) not kind to people : cruel or harsh

disambiguate - remove uncertainty of meaning from an ambiguous sentence or phrase

utterance - something that a person says

multi-modal - characterized by several different modes of activity or occurrence

loose - not closely joined or united; not exact or precise

heuristics - using experience to learn and improve

cohorts - a friend or companion

emoticon vs emoji
emoticon = a group of keyboard characters that are used to represent a facial expression (such as a smile or frown) e.g. : ) ; )
emoji = a small digital image or icon used to express an idea, emotion, etc. e.g. :smile::wink:

Pronunciation of 'the' - https://learnersdictionary.com/qa/Two-Pronunciations-of-The

Pronunciation of 'a' - The different pronunciations are usually related to emphasising the word, for example, if you are using it to mean 'one'. We normally pronounce it as "uh" or /ə/, and if we stress it, pronounce it as "ay" or /eɪ/.
E.g. 'Here's your hamburgers!' 'I wanted a ("ay") hamburger, not multiple hamburgers!'

Do you use emojis instead of words to communicate with people?
Do you think emojis could become their own language?

@fatimuccia @FerZaca @Ezîza @Danne @filauzio @april @jujuba
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• FerZacaFerZaca Posts: 3
    edited February 9
    Great! thanks for the quote of the 'a' pronunciation @NatashaT !!!
  • fatimucciafatimuccia Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Emoji have been created to use it in messages for expressing emotions. They could be used it alone or in the text message. They are particularly included in social media and in many applications.

Furthermore, they are utilized among friends and family to strengthen their relationship and are not limited only to teenagers.

In my opinion, emoji can never be a language because, as it’s mentioned in the article, they are without rules, lack of vocabularies and need the pillar of a language “GRAMMAR”. Nevertheless, emoji from their appearance in 2015, people have been using it in their daily life especially through social media.

These small digital images have invaded our communication and sometimes without realizing it, we feel involved in using them a lot with our relatives and our friends to express our emotions. It seems funny to include them in our text messages at the end or alone either to emphasize an idea or to conclude a message.

There are numerous kinds of emoji that convey our feelings (if we are in a gloomy mood or delighted). Their use is not limited to a particular category of people; however, emoji are widely utilized within all age groups. Who don’t have enough time, using emoji helps the messages arrive quickly and fulfil the aim.
    Nonetheless, emoji have their side effects and scarcities. They reduce our ability to communicate and we cannot use them in a formal chat especially at work. Otherwise, it would seem immature and not professional. Likewise, it appears dedicated to lazy people as the latter could not improve themselves in expressing their feelings and their thoughts far away from emoji.

Another disadvantage is that the use of emoji among adolescents, sometimes create bullying.

Taking in consideration the above, emoji are far from being a natural language and can never have structures to be a real one. Despite the negative sides of using emoji, they are still important and meaningful for us. :) o:) ;)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,382 mod

As you see, I already have a lot of problem to add emojis here. I need to upload my post as a picture.
    So, I really think that using emojis as a language on its own is "not done".
    :D

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use emojis a lot when texting my friends because I have to admit it's a lot of fun. I like using the small faces expressing all range of emotion: from the horned red raged one to the holy faced with the halo on top.

I also like using the emojiis representing objects, ideas or the ones bearing universal unmistakable meanings such as the raised middle finger or the smiling pile of poo.

I feel like I'm coming back to my childhood, but that's a universally accepted childish kind of language which do no harm at all so why bothering to restrain from using it ?

Emojiis enthusiasts could also think to come up with some sort of structure; they could set strings of three or four precise conventional emojiis as meaning a specifically coded phrase for instance.

This way, even though a real language-like grammar is still impossible to appy to these pictograph, at least we could work out an entire period. This would represent a ground-breaking advancement on the path to become a widely understood jargon.

I think one upside to the universal use of the emojiis is that they have surmounted the languages barrier someway.

In a potentially Babylonish muddle which could arise when people speaking different language meet on social networks, the use of emojis could help a laugh leaping.

Take for instance our English sessions. Despite our great efforts to get the appropriate word on the tip of our tongue and that of our great teacher to help us express ourselves, sometimes we lack it and in its place we put an emoji which help convey the message incompletely rendered by the written words.

In this sense emojiis can turn out very helpful. They work as a supplement to what we want to express or embellishments to our statements as the article read went. Let's limit its use to that though.

All another matter would be pretending to use the emojiis alphabet to express more elaborate ideas or thoughts or emotions. In this way, by using emojiis you would limit your mind abilities as if you had spent your entire life into a cartoon.

That's not the case I suppose. So the more you happened to live a real life, encountering living people, experiencing reality in the space surrounding you, the more you have to think, write and post elaborated concept in your real language. Reality is not rendered by adding up emojis, even though you can always end your phrase with a winking eye face.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,382 mod
  • diako87diako87 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    To my way of thinking, emojis can not be used instead of words, but they can help convey the feeling of our sentences. In general, when someone writes a sentence, there is no emotion in his/her sentence. The reader can realize the sense of the writing based on the knowledge that has of the author. That is, The tone of voice, face memic, and speech intonation that make the sentence more clear.
    While writing the text, we can use emojis to convey our feeling. For instance, when I say I have to go to a party, you don't know my feeling about this party. So if I write, I have to go to a party :), that means I am OK with this party. Otherwise, I write, I have to go to a party :(, I convey I'm not too fond of this party, and there is a compulsion to go there.
    On the whole, emojis and emoticons cause the sentences more intelligible.
  • Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 319 ✭✭
    edited May 24
    I don't think emojis can replace the written language but I agree with the article when it says that when we are speaking, we constantly use gestures like a way to amplify what we want to say.
    As the same way I think emoji, in a brief text, can have the same mean of the gestuality we use during a real speaking.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 49,060 ✭✭✭✭
    The thumbs up symbol is useful to agree with something or almost like saying - OK - bye for now.