Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Tuesday Night Owls - 20 April 2021 - Why Monopoly is a bad board game

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher
edited June 28 in Technology and Games
We read about the game 'Monopoly' and why it's not a good game:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200219-why-monopoly-is-such-a-bad-game

Vocabulary Top 10:

ire - intense anger

cardinal - basic or most important

pool - (verb) to combine (something) to form a supply which can be used by a group of people

IOU - 'I owe you'; a usually written promise to pay a debt

float - (noun) an amount of money that is kept available for making change in a shop

rut - a situation or way of behaving that does not change

comeback - a return to a former good position or condition; a new effort to win or succeed after being close to defeat or failure

down time - time when you are not working or busy; time during which a computer or machine is not working

auction - a public sale at which things are sold to the people who offer to pay the most

face value - the value that is printed or shown on something (such as a coin or bill)

Have you played Monopoly before? Do you enjoy playing it?
What are the best and worst experiences you have had playing Monopoly?
If you haven't played it, what other board games do you enjoy?

@EDUARDO @filauzio @tay @Alexa @april @jujuba @FerZaca
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 49,060 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played Monopoly since I was a kid. I used to nearly always win! My secret was to buy up the cheapest properties early in the game and stick hotels on as soon as I could. I never went for Mayfair or Park Lane and reckoned they lost you the game. I can see why it might be seen as a 'bad' game, as I remember it sometimes got a bit heated (especially since I used to so often win!) I wasn't any good at card games, so I suppose it was a good way of getting even.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,382 mod
    I have played Monopoly but not a lot.
    I don’t think I enjoyed playing that and I don’t have that game.
    I do have other board games like Snakes and ladders, Stratego, Ludo or Checkers.
    I prefer playing these games because these are more relaxing games, really party games.
    You don’t have to think about tactics or tricks like in Monopoly and the game lasts also less long.
    I actually can’t remember that we finished Monopoly with a winner in the few times that we played it.
    We just stopped because we didn’t have time to play anymore.
    Nowadays, from time to time I play games on the computer.
    Games like Mahjong, Patience or Minesweeper.
    A bit lonely to play alone maybe without laughter or shouts.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 49,060 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's so true @NatashaT! Somehow she never learned. She always clung onto her Mayfair and Park Lane. Give me the Old Kent Road and Pentonville Road any time.
  • Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I've played at Monopoly only a few times when I was a child and perhaps just for this reason I've never appreciated so much this game. I've always found so boring. The game seems doesn't has an end, hours and hours of plays but you never see the light XD

But when I was a child there was another board game on the same style of Monopoly called "Hotel". It looks like Monopoly and it also lasting for hours, but was more simple win a lot of money or declare bankrupt. And it was more funny to play !

https://www.glianni80.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/hotel.jpg