Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Tuesday Night Owls - 27 April 2021 - Is it possible to tell when someone is lying?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher
edited June 28 in People and Society
We read about the misconception that you can tell if someone is lying by the way they act:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210401-how-to-tell-when-someone-is-lying

Vocabulary Top 10:

exonerated - to prove that someone is not guilty of a crime or responsible for a problem, bad situation, etc. after they have been convicted of it

pervasive - existing in every part of something : spreading to all parts of something

miscarriage of justice - an unjust legal decision

pitch - the highness or lowness of a sound

even out - to reach a balanced or middle state between extremes over a period of time

boils down to - to have (something) as the main or basic part

at stake - in a position to be lost or gained

trip up - to make a mistake

idiosyncratic - an unusual way in which a particular person behaves or thinks

alibi - evidence which shows that a claim that you cannot be guilty of a crime because you were somewhere else when the crime was committed is true

Do you think you can tell when someone is lying? What signs do you look for?
Do you think you are a 'good' liar?

@april @EDUARDO @FerZaca
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 49,060 ✭✭✭✭
    If they can't look you straight in the eye, I tend to think they are lying. It could be that they are very shy, but it is often the sign of someone who can't face up to looking at you when they are deceiving you.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,382 mod
    edited May 10
    In a circle of friends, it is more possible to tell when someone is lying.
    They would try to avoid talking about that certain subject; they could be uneasy or become clumsy or they could laugh weirdly.
    You know that person a little so you could guess whether he/she is lying or not and you can keep asking until they give up.
    If it is your job to expose a liar for example as a police officer, you could come across a professional liar too where you will need a kind of skill to do it successfully.
    A professional liar can lie without becoming nervous or clumsy and they can always find answers to any questions.
    Not any police agent has the ability to do this even after training or experience.
    That’s why criminals can get away with their crimes and an innocent person sometimes ends up in prison.

I’m not a good liar and I’m not a good person to discover a liar either.
    I’m not sure if I have lied in my life, but it happened that I didn’t tell the truth or I just didn’t tell anything.
    Is that a lie? When I don’t tell a secret?

Post edited by april on