Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Monday Night Owls - 10 May 2021 - Is extreme working culture worth the rewards?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher
edited June 28 in Work and Money
We read about the difficult working conditions entry level employees face, and whether all the hardship is worth the rewards they may get at the end:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210426-is-extreme-working-culture-worth-the-big-rewards

Vocabulary Top 10:

trial by fire - a test of your abilities to perform well under pressure

wholly - completely or fully

pitchbook - a sales document created by an investment bank or firm that details the main attributes of the firm, and is used to help sell products and services

toil - to work very hard for a long time

nose to the grindstone - doing hard, continuous work

bragging rights - a good reason to talk with pride about something you have done

jump through hoops - to do a complicated or annoying series of things in order to get or achieve something

outline - to list or describe only the most important parts of (an essay, speech, plan, etc.) : to give an outline of (something)

grin and bear it - to accept something that you do not like because you have no choice

buoy - to cause (someone) to feel happy or confident

Have you ever worked in this type of work environment? What was it like?
Do you think that all this hard work is worth it in the end?

@EDUARDO @jujuba @diako87
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• JuJuJuJu Posts: 6
    The real @JuJu
  • JuJuJuJu Posts: 6
    :)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,353 Teacher
    @JuJu :D:D So sorry Juju! and also sorry to the other Juju that I've been tagging for months now! :D
  • fatimucciafatimuccia Posts: 90 ✭✭
    The topic touched upon in the article that we read is more significant nowadays. The extreme works are increasing among young employees who continue to accepting these kinds of jobs.

There are many reasons that lie behind this decision. The first one is that many companies which hire youngsters, give them plenty of work with gruelling long hours. In order to gain experience, firms consider this method the most suitable one.

Second, no matter how the burden of work load is, many young employees still accept the exhausted jobs especially if it deals with top-tier jobs. They hang on to it because of the serious of benefits like more compensation, rewards and opportunities to advancement. Besides, the prestige may be another reason to be more attached to the household-name companies and may enrich their CV.

Finally, due to the job crisis particularly when the pandemic struck, a broader range of people do accept any possibility to get an occupation. They are ready to jump through hoops and to cope with the hellish conditions.
    However, there are numerous of people considered as simple employees or trainees who do arduous works with long hours and sometimes with great physical efforts, but the renumeration is actually low. So, there is no fairness.

Many years ago, when I was just beginning my career, I was working in a company. I remember when that company decided to bid in a tender, I had been spending infinite hours even white nights in order to deliver the work in time. Even if when the firm won the tender, unfortunately, there were no compensations. The only thing was the extra hours were paid.

There are many jobs which requires huge physical as well as mental efforts like the military service. Militants and through their professional career, should endure the strenuous work like wake up at dawn without notice from the army leader. Or, soldiers are compelled to face risks when they are sent to the battlefront.

To conclude, I think that it’s very fundamental to think deeply and try to analyse any possible opportunity to get a new job in order to avoid any undesirable results.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 49,060 ✭✭✭✭

The topic touched upon in the article that we read is more significant nowadays. The extreme working conditions are increasing among young employees who continue to accepting these kinds of jobs.

There are many reasons that lie behind this decision. The first one is that many companies which hire youngsters, give them plenty of work with gruelling long hours. In order to gain experience, firms consider this method the most suitable one.

Second, no matter how the burden of work load is, many young employees still accept the exhausting jobs especially if they are top-tier jobs. They hang on to them because of the generous benefits like more compensation, rewards and opportunities to advancement. Besides, the prestige may be another reason to be more attached to the household-name companies and may enrich their CV.

Finally, due to the job crisis particularly when the pandemic struck, a broader range of people do accept any possibility to get an occupation. They are ready to jump through hoops and to cope with the hellish conditions.
    However, there are many people considered as simple employees or trainees who do arduous works with long hours and sometimes with great physical demands, but the remuneration is actually low. So, there is no fairness.

Many years ago, when I was just beginning my career, I was working in a company. I remember when that company decided to bid in a tender, I had been spending infinite hours even white nights ??? in order to deliver the work in time. Even if when the firm won the tender, unfortunately, there was no compensations. The only thing was the extra hours were paid.

There are many jobs which requires huge physical as well as mental efforts like the military service. Military servicemen and throughout their professional career, have to endure the strenuous work and wake up at dawn without notice from the army leader. Or, soldiers are compelled to face risks when they are sent to the battlefront.

To conclude, I think that it’s very necessary to think deeply and try to analyse any possible opportunity to get a new job in order to avoid any undesirable results.

By 'white nights' do you mean 'all-nighters' or work all night @fatimuccia? I never had to work an all-nighter, but I did a couple of times work right over the weekend.
  • fatimucciafatimuccia Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your correction @mheredge. "white nights", I meant working all night. Perhaps I did a mistake in translating it from the Italian.