Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

One short essay with predetermined collocations

diako87diako87 Posts: 61 ✭✭
A collocation is a typical combination of two or more words that often go together. These combinations sound correct for those who are native English speakers. By learning these collocations, our vocabulary expands, and we can speak more fluently.

I introduce a book that contains more than 1000 collocations in 50 lessons. The book title is "1000 English Collocations in 10 Minutes a Day" As the author recommended, it's better to make our sentences with these collocations. I suggest writing the essay as much as we can with the collocations from each lesson.

You can read the book here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZP9AdB0FMFelF5azB5bGtQVWM/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• diako87diako87 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I was born into a loving family which My parents paid more attention to me. Therefore, I had a carefree childhood. I was the first baby in my mother's family. For this reason, All members of my extended family loved me so much. This was also delightful for my immediate family. Having a close-knit family is a blessing from god. I can't imagine a dysfunctional family. I have a terrible feeling for those children who have troubled childhood.
    I can't imagine how hard it would be to live in a broken family. You can't be with both of your parents because of their bitter divorce. You must live with one of your parents, based on the granted joint custody. In my country, most of the time, the judge awards sole custody to the mother, and the father has to pay child support. The divorce settlement also is determined by the judge. Although divorce is harmful to the children, mutual separation has less bad effects on children's mental health. At this condition, divorced mother and father stay on good terms with each other, and consequently, the children have an appropriate condition.
    In my opinion, when a woman gets pregnant, both mother and father have a vital responsibility for raising their children. Sometimes they give the baby up for adoption. I truly support this claim that the real mother of this baby is her/his adoptive mother instead of her/his birth mother. I mean, it's love that determines the actual parents, not only giving birth to children.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    diako87 said:

I was born into a loving family where my parents paid more attention to me. Therefore, I had a carefree childhood. I was the first baby in my mother's family. For this reason, all members of my extended family loved me so much. This was also delightful for my immediate family. Having a close-knit family is a blessing from god. I can't imagine a dysfunctional family. I feel terrible for those children who have a troubled childhood.
    I can't imagine how hard it would be to live in a broken family. You can't be with both of your parents because of their bitter divorce. You must live with one of your parents, based on the granted joint custody. In my country, most of the time, the judge awards sole custody to the mother, and the father has to pay child support. The divorce settlement also is determined by the judge. Although divorce is harmful to the children, mutual separation has less bad effects on children's mental health. In this situation, the divorced mother and father stay on good terms with each other, and consequently, the children have an easier situation.
    In my opinion, when a woman gets pregnant, both the mother and father have a vital responsibility for raising their children. Sometimes they give the baby up for adoption. I truly support this claim that the real mother of this baby is her/his adoptive mother instead of her/his birth mother. I mean, it's love that determines the actual parents, not only giving birth to children.

@mheredge thanks a bunch for correcting my essay.
  • safourasafoura Posts: 2
    hi diako87
    I would like to write an essay with collocations which I learned from your recommended book. it is about my family characters and behaviors.
    I was born in a lovely family. I'm so proud of them individually. each of them has a unique personality which I admire it or learn how to cope with that. my mother is painfully kind. she's always swallow her prides and puts our first. for acknowledging her, we bought her favorite jewellery in spacial events like her birthday. also she has a vivid imagination, I believe she inherited that from her father.
    in contrast, my father is less kind and more supporter. he did his best to provide us any thing we need. he has a thicker skin than my mom which is really helping. he is a little shy and brutally honest. after 30 years, my mom and dad are fiercely loyal to each other
    my sister is my favorite character. she has a outgoing personality. sometimes I grudge against her because her mean streak, but at the end of point, I love her. she has a low self-esteem, specially in speak her minds. when we were children, I always played pranks and hurts her feelings. but now we are the best friends of each other.
    safoura said:

hi diako87
    I would like to write an essay with collocations which I learned from your recommended book. it is about my family characters and behaviors.
    I was born in a lovely family. I'm so proud of them individually. Each of them has a unique personality which I admire it or know how to cope with that. My mother is painfully kind. She's always swallows her prides and puts our interests first. To acknowledge her, we bought her favorite jewellery for special events like her birthday. Also she has a vivid imagination, I believe she inherited that from her father.
    In contrast, my father is less kind and more supportive. He did his best to provide us any thing we needed. He has a thicker skin than my mom which is really helpful. He is a little shy and brutally honest. After 30 years, my mom and dad are fiercely loyal to each other.
    My sister is my favorite character. She has a outgoing personality. Sometimes I go against her because of her mean streak, but in the end of point, I love her. She has a low self-esteem, specially to speak her minds. When we were children, I always played pranks and hurts her feelings. But now we are the best friends of each other.

@safoura this is a nice description. Capital letters to start the sentences are very important.
    I wanna write about my actual and favorite appearance. I’m a tall boy that my height is 1.93 meter. I am neither fat nor thin. I have bushy hair, which is usually unkempt. I sometimes comb it, but it takes a long time, and I am too lazy to do this every day! I also have a long face with a shaggy beard and a thin mustache. I don’t trim them because I like the look of this beard and mustache. I work out at home every other day. I try to make an athletic build. I aim to have broad shoulders and muscular arms, which are attractive to me.
    But about my girlfriend, she has an hourglass figure with a slender waist that makes her absolutely gorgeous. She has curly, long hair. Her jet-black eyes make her so attractive. Although she’s shorter than me, she’s taller than other girls, which is an excellent point in my view. She isn’t fat and has a curvy body; that is my favorite. I encourage her to work out at home to make a fit body better than now.

Lesson 3
    thank you @safoura for your participation in this discussion.
    I read your essay. you have written quite well.
    I was painfully shy before I went to college. I had this character from my childhood. In contrast, I had a vivid imagination, and I had made some virtual friends in my mind, and I was living with them. When I entered college, I encountered the atmosphere of the dormitory. I was living with three roommates in almost 20 square meters! That caused me to come out of my shell and change my personality to an outgoing personality. I had great roommates whose sense of humor was pleasant for me, one of them was introverted, though. I was trying to have a good relationship with everyone during my education. I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, and I was doing my best to show my true colors. So, I don't remember someone who bore a grudge against me. The reason was that I put others first. Sometimes and in some specific situation, I have a tendency to be arrogant. It depends on the person and the way he/she treats me. I am fiercely loyal in my relationship, and I expect others to behave in the same way as me. Although I have a thicker skin, I can't bear a brutally honest person who speaks his mind. In this situation, I have a superiority complex and keep my self-esteem.

Lesson 4
    diako87 said:

I want to write about my actual and favorite appearance. I’m a tall boy and my height is 1.93 meters. I am neither fat nor thin. I have bushy hair, which is usually unkempt. I sometimes comb it, but it takes a long time, and I am too lazy to do this every day! I also have a long face with a shaggy beard and a thin moustache. I don’t trim them because I like the look of this beard and moustache. I work out at home every other day. I try to get an athletic build. I aim to have broad shoulders and muscular arms, which are attractive to me.
    But about my girlfriend, she has an hourglass figure with a slender waist that makes her look absolutely gorgeous. She has curly, long hair. Her jet-black eyes make her so attractive. Although she’s shorter than me, she’s taller than other girls, which is an excellent point in my view. She isn’t fat and has a curvy body; that is my favorite. I encourage her to work out at home to make her body fitter than it is now.

Lesson 3

diako87 said:

I was painfully shy before I went to college. I have had this character since my childhood. In contrast, I have a vivid imagination, and I have made some virtual friends in my mind, and I was living with them. When I entered college, I encountered the atmosphere of the dormitory. I was living with three roommates in almost 20 square meters! That caused me to come out of my shell and change my personality to an outgoing personality. I had great roommates whose sense of humor was pleasant for me, though one of them was introverted, though. I was trying to have a good relationship with everyone during my education. I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, and I was doing my best to show my true colors. So, I don't remember anyone who bore a grudge against me. The reason was that I put others first. Sometimes and in some specific situations, I have a tendency to be arrogant. It depends on the person and the way he/she treats me. I am fiercely loyal in my relationships, and I expect others to behave in the same way to me. Although I have a thicker skin, I can't bear a brutally honest person who speaks his mind. In this situation, I have a superiority complex and keep my self-esteem.

Lesson 4

• safourasafoura Posts: 2
    I was a roller coaster of emotions when my exam grade was announced. I had tried so hard to achieve a sufficient grade in the exam so that I could educate in my interest field in the best university in my country. But I had been visibly disappointed until the result of the exam revealed. The day was arrived, I was at home and increasingly anxious as I was trying to see my grade. Our internet connection was weak and webpages loaded very slowly. that had made me lost my temper. I usually don't show my feelings but that day I was seething with anger. finally I got access to see my grade. I got pleasantly surprised, I had become the 10th. this was a huge success. Now I knew I can attain my dreams. in that moments I was overwhelmed with emotions and my family were immensely grateful when I told them. A couple month later, when My friend and I were being ready to move to the dormitory, were ridiculously excited about finding new friends. Also Our family were blissfully happy for us. My father always bottles up his emotions but I could see him worried sick that day, because I had to live in another city far from my own town. My mother were deeply depressed. she knew she'll be missing her daughter. I was terribly sorry to see her emotional wreck and couldn't do anything to make her feel better.
    safoura said:

I was on a roller coaster of emotions when my exam grade was announced. I had tried so hard to achieve a sufficient grade in the exam so that I couldcontinue education in my interest field in the best university in my country. But I was been visibly disappointed until the result of the exam was revealed. The day was arrived. I was at home and increasingly anxious as I was trying to see my grade. Our internet connection was weak and webpages loaded very slowly. That had made me lose my temper. I usually don't show my feelings but that day I was seething with anger. Finally I got access to see my grade. I was pleasantly surprised, as I had become the 10th. This was a huge success. Now I knew I can attain my dreams. In that moments I was overwhelmed with emotions and my family were immensely pleased when I told them. A couple of months later, when my friend and I were being ready to move to the dormitory, we were ridiculously excited about finding new friends. Also our family were blissfully happy for us. My father always bottles up his emotions but I could see him worried sick that day, because I had to live in another city far from my own town. My mother were deeply depressed. She knew she'll be missing her daughter. I was terribly sorry to see her emotional wreck and couldn't do anything to make her feel better.

Congratulations @safoura! I'm sure both of your parents must be very proud of your success. What are you going to be studying?