Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English July

English Book Club - Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,915 mod
edited June 2021 in Books and Poetry
“Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing.”

https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/don-quixote-ebook.html

https://www.ted.com/talks/ilan_stavans_why_should_you_read_don_quixote/transcript?language=en

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/spain/articles/7-reasons-why-don-quixote-should-be-on-your-summer-reading-list/
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• HermineHermine Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    haha, Don Quixote, I can hardly await to hear your pronunciation of his name, Teach. The narrator in the Ted sounds more Spanish to me.

• learnlotsoflearnlotsof Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Good book!
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. :) An excellent choice. :) I don't know Spanish though. I read it in Polish years ago. ;(
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 57 ✭✭
    This book was one from not many books , which I started, but could not read feather as adolescent . Usually, I read almost all books to the end from library , but this one was boring. Now I am curious and ready to give the second chance to the Don Quixote :)
    @Teach, would you like to start it tomorrow or will we be reading a poem? I would like to prepare vocabulary. :)
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 38,168 mod
    @Teach Is this the edition of the book we will read?

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/35993/35993-h/35993-h.htm
    @Paulette, a good question. :)
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,915 mod
    Well done everyone.

Elinor - Paulette - Alexa - Praveen - Hermine - Berimih - April

Elinor - lentils (ˈlɛnt(ə)lz)

Paulette - argument - curate (not ate) - finikin - lachrymose - no (not now) - artifice - Hercules - affable - stole (not stool) - country - roaming - peril - Emperor - pleasant

Alexa - belonged - scoured - closed - deficiency - contrived - helmet - disconcerted - iron (silent r) - perfect (stress) - Bucephalus

Praveen - Recollecting (not re-) - honour (silent h) - christened - cleave (v) -

" one onslaught "

:smile: leaves - pleasure

Hermine - preliminaries - redress - dawning - terrible - chivalry - ermine - comforting - adventurer - rubicund (ˈruːbɪk(ə)nd/) - mellifluous - Presently - obduracy

:smile: suit - occurred - whiter (not wider) -

Don Quixote of La Mancha - Rocinante - Dulcinea

Berimih - other - travelled (silent e) - remarkable - ascertained - shepherds (not ship) - perceived (silent e) - reached - women - chanced - halt - seemed (silent e) - checked (silent e) - perceived (silent e) - pasteboard - bearing - wax indignant

April - incomprehensible - cavalier - laughter - suffice (not like surface) - sprightliness - necessity

:smile: manifestations - horse
    A new book - a new life. :)@Teach :)
    edited June 2021
    Yes @Xanthippe the life of Don Quixote. :)
    Post edited by Paulette on
    Today's readers:- Elinor - Alexandra - Scooby - Hermine - Paulette - April

Elinor - used to - inside (not insight) - ribbons (ˈrɪb(ə)nz - not like "on") - praise (not prize) -

:smile: goat (not gout)

Alexandra - wits - younger (g) - Curing-grounds - precinct - Seville - nimbleness (silent e in the middle) - love - farthing -though (not thought)

Scooby - hurts (not hats) - squires - saddle-bags - expected - scrupulously - began (not begin) - contemplated - paced (silent e) - novice - art (old fashioned for are "thou art" you are) - presents (to present / a present) -
    words (not wards) - picked up

"knights of old" (Watch out for the word "of")

Hermine - trough - actually /ˈaktʃəli,ˈaktʃʊəli/ - braced (not like braised) - thy (not like they - old fashioned word for you) - fling - ye (old fashioned you) - assailants - composure - audacity - accolade

Paulette - menaced - where (not were) - fortunate (not like ate) - meant (past of to mean) - buckled - exhilarated - determined
    - labourer - squire - towards

" as if he was saying his prayers " (if)

April - cause (not coze) - niggardliness - annihilate - Saint

:smile: direction - answer - chastising

------------------

Page 79 / 72 - "Consider what you are saying, senor," said the youth; "this master of mine
    is not a knight, nor has he received any order of knighthood; for he is Juan
    Haldudo the Rich, of Quintanar."

@Xanthippe @Paulette - I wonder how many years it will take us? :D
    edited June 2021
    @Teach, I hope I will live long enough. :D

By the way, I do think 'ray' is a spelling mistake. Look at this: "he would FLAY me like a Saint Bartholomew" - https://books.google.pl/books?id=XwZ3QEs1wsEC&pg=RA1-PA11&dq=flay+me+like+saint+bartholomew&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimk4-p-LzxAhXDvosKHdV0CcEQ6AEwA3oECAIQAg#v=onepage&q=flay%20me%20like%20saint%20bartholomew&f=false

'Flay' makes sense - "In art Bartholomew is most commonly depicted with a beard and curly hair at the time of his martyrdom. According to legends, he was skinned alive and beheaded so is often depicted holding his flayed skin or the curved flensing knife with which he was skinned; thus, he is remembered and approved as saint of leather makers."
    @Teach I hope I can participate till the end! ;)
    @Paulette, we will learn English until we are dead. That's clear. :D
    @Xanthippe yes you are right and I want to reach the end of the book ;)
    @Paulette, so do I. :)
    Updates avilable but I will continue tomorrow. :)
    @Paulette, to tell the truth I am somewhat similar to Don Quixote as I tried to imitate characters from the books I had read. Not very wise of me...
    @Xanthippe
    I also liked it to play the roles of the characters out of the books I read and I then also wore then the clothes I found in the cubboard of my grandma who lived with us.Her clothes were very special and old fashioned. They were a bit belle-epoque style.
    Uncle Tom's Cabin was one of my favourites.
    Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Praveen - Learn Lots - Hermine - Berimih

Paulette - Juan - refuses (s) - give (g) - oath (the) - undoer - command (not like comment) - flay (not flea) - repaid (not like repeat) - towards -

:smile: penalties - perfect

"Andres went off rather down in the mouth,"

------------------------------------

Elinor - road (not rod) - muleteers ˌmjuːlɪˈtɪəz

no bigger than a grain of wheat (not a wheat)

Alexandra - humpbacked - ye - helmet - cowards (not co- cow) - stretched - nature - blood - remaining (not reminding)
    rained (silent e) - cudgelled

:smile: one-eyed

Praveen - unable - thrashed - well-nigh - horse (be careful) - about (not aboot (Scottish) - known - young men - miracles - case (soft s) - wounded - woods - uttered - liege (not like league) - loves - nonsense (soft s) - wiped (not whipped) -

:smile: there (not here) here and there

Learn Lots - breastplate - wound (not wand) - contrived - horse! HORSE! - bridle- ass ASS! - bruises - peasant (not pissant) - devil - ailed - written - ever (not like even) - village - confusion - curate (not like to curate) - constantly - quest

:smile: prisoner ˈprɪz(ə)nə

" only the devil himself that put into his head tales to match his own adventures"

Hermine - neice (not knees) - sword (silent w) - precious - sage - vagaries - valiant (not violent) - contrive - licentiate

".. for that was what he needed most"

--------------------------------------

Berimih - authors (th) - simplicity (sim) - any (not inny) - chivalry (soft ch) - great (not greet) - lineage - bedevilled involved

:smile: curate

"In that case," said the housekeeper, "here, into the yard with them!"
    They were handed to her, and as there were many of them, she spared
    herself the staircase, and flung them down out of the window.
    Page 90
    edited July 2021
    Updates available :) . But I will continue tomorrow. :)

"Nevertheless, I say he who wrote it, for deliberately composing such fooleries, deserves to be sent to the galleys for life. Take it home with you and read it, and you will see that what I have said is true." :D:D
    Post edited by Xanthippe on
    Paulette - Elinor -Alexandra - Hermine - April - Berimih

Paulette - tub (not tube) - author (th) - might - famous - wove

Elinor - loyal (not like "Al") - admirable (ˈadm(ə)rəb(ə)l/ not like to admire) - knight (silent k) - witticisms

:smile: rhubarb - knight

Alexa - these - curate - singing - entitled - author - condemned - read

:smile:these - mischief

Hermine - precious - eclogues ˈek-ˌlȯg - presents (as in to present) - Juan - tired (not like tie red) - fables - remained (not reminded)

:smile: Angelica

April - fatigued - archives - examiner - despatch -

:smile: serpent

Berimih - great (not greet) - endeavours (end not in) - shorn - beards (not birds) - kindling (not like kind) - knights-errant - observed (silent e) - occur

"to sally forth"

------------------------------------------
    Listeners - Praveen

---------------------------------------

Page 100 - Don Quixote next set about getting some money; and selling one thing and
    pawning another, and making a bad bargain in every case, he got together a
    fair sum.
    Well, I have learnt something useful:

'To drive one's heels in the castle of a mule'. The only thing I need is a mule. :D
    edited August 2021
    Paulette - restoring (from to restore) - thought (not taught) - knight-errant - determined (not like mine) - honourable (silent h) - given - patriarch - give

:smile: - obliquely - crowned

------------

mind (not mend) - mislead - presently - instantly - reply (not replay) - brought - treated

thou art - you are

Elinor - suits (to suit - /suːt/) - suitable

:smile: warfare

Alexandra - war - turned - vanquishing (stress) - wicked /ˈwɪkɪd/ - read (not like rid) - bough - mean (not like meant) -
    fortunate - bowels (not bowls) - ailed (not like allied) - knights -

:smile: thoroughfare

April - draught - among /əˈmʌŋ/ - remedy (stress) - nourishment /ˈnʌrɪʃm(ə)nt/ - folk - thou (not like though) - assailant -
    precept - St. Benedict
    "alforjas

-------------------------------
    Page 108 - Don Quixote understood him quite well, and answered him very quietly, "If
    thou wert a knight, as thou art none, I should have already chastised thy folly and rashness, miserable creature." #Don Quixote

edited August 2021
    Today's readers: Elinor - Paulette - April - Hermine - Alexandra

Elinor - splitting - half (not like have) - spoils - unwilling (not unfeeling) -

the Biscayan declared in his disjointed phrase that if they did not let him finish his battle - did not...

---------------------------------

Paulette - terrific (stress) - furious - blows (not like blouse) - toe (top to toe) - precedent (not like president) - sages (voiced e) - secret (not like to secrete) - inasmuch - jealousy - hood (not hod) - praise (not prize) - attentively - occurred

:smile: world

---------------------------------

April - scraps (scr) - characters (stress) - despatch -

:smile: ass (not ash)

"turning the Arabic offhand into Castillian" - not turning to ...

" in little more than a month and a half"

--------------------------

Hermine - additions - deliberately (not like a deli) - wholly - warning - fault - valiant - combatants - fiery - fury (not like fur) - sufficed - dealt (not like deal) - smiting (from to smite) - mule - stirrups

-----------------------------------------

Alexandra - presenting (from to present) - coach - hastened - earnest entreaties - sparing (from to spare - not like to spar) - truth - present (not like a present) - faith (not like fate) - island (not Iceland) - returned (silent e) - governed islands

Page 116 - To which Don Quixote replied, "Thou must take notice, brother Sancho, that this adventure and those like it are not adventures of islands, but of crossroads, in which nothing is got except a broken head or an ear the less: have
    patience, for adventures will present themselves from which I may make you, not only a governor, but something more."
    Post edited by Teach on
    Paulette (by a whisker) - Elinor - Scooby - Hermine - April - Alexandra

Paulette - ass (not ash) - refuge (not re-) - arraigned - overthrowing - flows - dispensed

"where hast thou ever seen or heard that a knight-errant has been arraigned before a court of justice, however many
    homicides he may have committed?" (however many)

I can neither read nor write, (not or)

Elinor - balsam - nicety (voiced e) -

"taking care to fit it on evenly and exactly ..." (fit it on)

Scooby - Senor - devil - oath - do not (t) - art (t) - fail (not fill) - make (k) - victuals (like vittels) - read (past tense) - wilds
    - pervert - worship (not warship) - fields - those (s) - practice - satisfaction

:smile: presently

Hermine - fragrance - skins - trough - relish - cough - renounce (not re-) - exalteth (to exalt) - squires (silent e) - sheepskins - constantly - in sight (not inside) - iron - produce

skin

April - inclemency - crooked plough - wreathed - artifices ˈɑːtɪfɪs - verbiage - pervert (to pervert / a pervert) - gallantry (stress) - succour - harangue həˈraŋ/ - acorns

:smile: ruin

Alexandra - musicians - felled oak (not feel) - thine - ceases (not seizes) - suit - pleased (silent e)

:smile: goatherd

---------------------------

Page 127

Or of how I roundly swore it
    That there's none so fair as thou;
    True it is, but as I said it,
    By the girls I'm hated now.
    Updates available. :) I was somewhat behind because of my calculus course. Fortunately, they will extend deadlines by a week. This may be of interest for you, @Teach:

" jfrench (Staff)

12 days ago - marked as answer 7 days ago by Stellar2018

Not great news ahead sadly.

(1) At this time, the next two courses do not exist so you cannot batch upgrade.

(2) 2U is acquiring edX in October likely, so there are some questions from our faculty of whether or not we wish to continue on edX or move to MIT online (an MIT only hosting site that does not exist yet...). This is yet to be determined, so I don't even know if this course will be on edX or not!"