Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson

Write an essay

PoweragePowerage Posts: 97 ✭✭
I will be grateful for corrections. I also would like to as if I can write in such style on the exam. What kind of language is the best? Thank you in advance.

Essay: my opinion on the following statement: There is no future for public transport because travelling by car is so much more convenient

I can only imagine what kind of person shared this statement with the world, but if I had to guess, I would day that this person probably isn't much bright or reflective, with all respect. And if I had to prove why I think so, I would ask at the beginning: Are the people who think that every adult person wants to have a driving licence really exist? As far as I know, taxi is a part of the public transport, so if there's no future for public transport, does it really mean that everyone will be travel by their own cars? It's ridiculous and unrealistic idea. Contrary to it, I might say that there will be no place for cars in traditional sense in the near future. Tesla, as we know, has invented the electric car. Maybe someone will invent a car which could be flying? More and more scientists are trying to make people comfortable with this vision. A lot of can happen, but due to progress of technology we can say with certainty that public transport will increase.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 52,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Powerage said:

I will be grateful for corrections. I also would like to as if I can write in such style on the exam. What kind of language is the best? Thank you in advance.

Essay: my opinion on the following statement: There is no future for public transport because travelling by car is so much more convenient

I can only imagine what kind of person shared this statement with the world, but if I had to guess, I would day that this person probably isn't much bright or reflective, with all respect. And if I had to prove why I think so, I would ask at the beginning: Does anyone who thinks that every adult person wants to have a driving licence really exists? As far as I know, a taxi is a part of the public transport system, so if there's no future for public transport, does it really mean that everyone will be travel by their own cars? It's ridiculous and an unrealistic idea. Contrary to this, I might say that there will be no place for cars in a traditional sense in the near future. Tesla, as we know, has invented the electric car. Maybe someone will invent a car which could be flying? More and more scientists are trying to make people comfortable with this vision. A lot of can happen, but due to progress of technology we can say with certainty that public transport will increase.

@Powerage 180 words is a little short. Also you need to give arguments for and against, as well as presenting your point of view. It is better to keep the arguments objective.

You need to structure the response with an introduction, main body where you discuss the pros and cons of the statement and a short conclusion where you can summarise your opinion. This should not introduce anything that you have not already argued in the main part of the essay.

The introduction should not repeat the question. For example, a good introduction for this topic might be:

It is suggested that as travelling by car is more convenient, there is no future for public transport. While in some circumstances this might be seen to be true, there are several very good reasons why public transport is important.

You could mention here points like public transport costs, remote areas and small number of people served, timetables not always suitable etc. as arguments that might favour private cars.
  • PoweragePowerage Posts: 97 ✭✭
    @mheredge Thank you so much. I will do in my writings what you have adviced in the future. Thanks a lot once again. It will help me during the exam.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 52,268 ✭✭✭✭
    @Powerage the exam is really about the English you use to communicate with and there is no need to be knowledgeable on the topic. You can give your opinion if it is asked for, but generally you still need to give both sides of the argument even if you don't agree with one side.
  • LekhaLekha Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hello, I am preparing for IELTS and I am practicing my writing skills. I am posting my writing here in the hope that someone will correct it. Many thanks in advance.

Learning English at school is often seen as more important than learning local languages. If these are not taught, many are at risk of dying out.
    In your opinion, is it essential for everyone to learn English? Should we try to ensure the survival of local languages and, if so, how?

English is the most widely spoken language worldwide, which is why it is called the universal language. Because of that, it is very important for everyone to learn this language and the school must teach English as a second language. However, preserving local languages is also extremely important to keep the culture alive.
    There are many reasons why we should learn English. Firstly, people from all over the world have accepted English as the universal language. All multinational companies will take employees who have good communication skills in English. All the documents, bonds, and other business deals are written in English. Therefore, it is necessary for people to learn English to get better employment and thus, a better life. Furthermore, the advancements in technology made people use a single prose, which is English.
    It is true that learning English has many advantages, but it doesn’t mean that you should abandon your local language. A vernacular gives you an identity. For one, it is important to learn their language to understand their history and culture. That’s why we should preserve our mother tongue. Moreover, through our mother tongue, we can express our emotions and feelings very well which is essential to keep good mental health. There are several ways we can nourish our local language. That’s through teaching them at school and also by providing extra sessions, if necessary, to enhance the quality of the language.
    Although, it is true that English is the most widely used language all over the world but is essential to preserve our local language from dying out for the future generation. In most places in the world, multilingualism is a helpful asset and a way of life. So, we can learn more than one language while preserving our local language.