Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Marianne's 8am Monday 12 July discussion: Heaven or Hell, reincarnation, dust to dust....what do you

mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
I have been watching an entertaining American series called Lucifer, where the Devil (Tom Ellis, a British actor) finds himself living in Los Angeles, in a human form. I suppose it could be construed as blasphemous but it is very tongue in cheek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer_(TV_series)

It raises some interesting questions however.

If we are wicked, will we descend into Dante's Inferno?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

Will we descend into Hell as shown in Botticellii's painting?

Or will we be reborn as an animal or inferior being? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

What do you think about the many claims that exist of rebirth?

"Over a period of 40 years, psychiatrist Ian Stevenson, from the University of Virginia, conducted more than 2,500 case studies of young children who claimed to remember past lives. He published several books and documented the child's statements and testimony from family members and others, often along with correlates to a deceased person who in some ways seemed to match the child's memory. Stevenson also investigated cases in which birthmarks and birth defects seemed to match wounds and scars on the deceased. Sometimes included in his documentation were medical records like autopsy photographs. Expecting controversy and skepticism, Stevenson also searched for disconfirming evidence and alternative explanations for the reports, but, as the Washington Post reported, in scores of cases he concluded that no normal explanation sufficed."

What do you think happens?
If you had to chose an animal to be reincarnated as, which would choose? Why?
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Teach. I thought it rather appropriate here:

The Grim Reaper

• PoweragePowerage Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @mheredge

With all respect to people who believe in reincarnation, but to me is a senseless idea. It is said that my present life is either a reward or punish for my past lifes, but what is the sense of punishment if I don't remember for what I have been punished? And why I live again at all? What is the sense of this continual rebirth cycle? Some people say that at the end my individual existence will perish and all that will remain is absolutely, unchangeable peace (Buddhists call it Nirvana). It's weird idea to me.
    I'm not sure I can dismiss it @Powerage as there have been many accounts to suggest it is possible.
    edited July 11
    There is a lot of literature on evidence supporting reincarnation @Powerage.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26299061/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Cases_Suggestive_of_Reincarnation

Roman Catholics do not believe in reincarnation, but Buddhists do.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 36,838 mod
    edited July 12
    Reincarnation

One may never be able to prove that reincarnation exists, but it can never be excluded with certainty.

Christianity does not believe in reincarnation, either your soul goes to hell or to heaven with possibly an intermediate step in purgatory.
    But according to history, Christians also believed in reincarnation. The idea was even part of the official doctrine of the church. It was only at the second Council of Constantinople in 553 that it was decided to do away with it.

The church wanted to increase its grip and influence on the illiterate and uneducated masses and only spoke of punishment if people did not live according to the Will of God. With reincarnation there is the possibility of making amends for the sins you commit in your present life. But people were not allowed to sin; the faithful had to tremble and quake for the afterlife.

Science has paid attention to this way of thinking throughout the centuries.
    From the camp of the quantum physicists, reincarnation got more and more support. Contemporary insights increasingly point to the existence of parallel, non-material worlds in the universe. Moreover, no molecule or atom in the universe is ever lost. This makes reincarnation theoretically possible.

Many great scientists such as Carl Jung were firmly convinced of the existence of reincarnation. Well-known personalities such as Nietzsche, Schiller, Goethe, Lessing and even Napoleon were also followers of the doctrine of reincarnation.

I hope to reincarnated once, but if it can I want to be a human again. I like life on all its dimensions, and as a reincarnated one I will speak English very fluently. :D
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14
    No, I don't believe in reincarnation at all.

The examples I read ,that a large number of children would have marks and birth defects corresponding to wounds on the body of his previous personality, Others seem to recognize peope and places of his supposed previous life .

Of course I am not a scientist!

What I would choose if I had to be reincarnated, preferably not as an animal, but as a human being.

Although I would be afraid , which parents will I have , will I be smarter or dumber, very poor or rich, healthy or sickly , good or a bad person!

So it depends , in any case I hope to be more confident, smarter and an excellent memory😄 !

As for heaven, hell or purgatory! I'm not such a believer , I think the nuns at school told us a lot of nonsense. But the golden mean if I have to choose seems best to me ,so I will choose purgatory. I like rice pudding and I don't need a golden spoon.
    Post edited by Michouxe on