Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Marianne's 8am Monday 26 July discussion: Migrant labour and is this good for the economy?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 24 in Work and Money
There are many pros and cons to immigration. In this discussion let's focus on economic migrants (as opposed to asylum seekers).

This article summarises both sides of the arguments for and against immigration and if you read only one thing to prepare for the session, this is the best one to look at.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/152453/economics/pros-and-cons-of-immigration/

ILO video on migrant labour

Brain drain? What is this?
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/brain_drain.asp

Otherwise know as human capital flight:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_capital_flight

Effects of migration from EU countries to the UK: 'the positive impact on many areas of society'. 'It has little or no impact on the overall employment, unemployment and wages of UK-born workers. It has a positive impact on productivity and innovation, especially so from highly skilled migration. EEA migrants also contribute more in taxation than they consume in services, especially so for the NHS and social care.'

https://theconversation.com/what-eu-migration-has-done-for-the-uk-103461

It is an interesting topic for discussion. What contribution does migrant labour make in your country or region? Do you think the benefits outweigh the negatives?

Thank you @Glorian for the suggestion. @Hermine @Paulette, @Michouxe, @felicia, @taghried, @Scooby
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• taghriedtaghried Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    It's an interesting topic. Thanks @Glorian . I won't be able to attend the voice session, but I'd like to share my thoughts here.

There are many reasons which have been forced migrants to emigrate, such as outbreak a war in migrants' countries or boost their quality of life.

However, the most common reason to emigrate is finding a proper job, and It mostly happens in developing countries; where immigrants' skills have been lost in their country whereas their governments could have helped the local economy by recruiting them. Other reasons to emigrate are their professions aren't required or maybe they are overqualified and working in cleaning jobs or at restaurants so they refuse to waste their life in such inappropriate jobs.

Other migrants that mostly come from developing countries are working abroad to send money back to their families. for example, people who work in petroleum countries such as Saudia Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar, they are working basically for money, for only money, I mean, they are working in all kinds of jobs as long as It provides them money.

After all, migrants maybe hope that the country's street is paved by gold, but I think It won't.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    taghried said:

It's an interesting topic. Thanks @Glorian . I won't be able to attend the voice session, but I'd like to share my thoughts here.

There are many reasons which have been forced migrants to emigrate, such as outbreak of a war in the migrants' countries or to boost their quality of life.

However, the most common reason to emigrate is finding a proper job, and it mostly happens in developing countries; where immigrants' skills have been lost in their country whereas their governments could have helped the local economy by recruiting them. Other reasons to emigrate are their professions aren't required or maybe they are overqualified and working in cleaning jobs or at restaurants so they refuse to waste their life in such inappropriate jobs.

Other migrants that mostly come from developing countries are working abroad to send money back to their families. For example, people who work in petroleum-rich countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar, they are working basically for money, for only money, I mean, they are working in all kinds of jobs as long as It provides them money.

After all, migrants maybe hope that the country's street is paved by gold, but I think it isn't.

For some poorer countries, a very significant proportion of the GDP (gross domestic product) comes from remittances @taghried. The money sent home by migrant workers can have a huge impact on the economies of the countries they come from.