Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Monday Night Owls - 9 August 2021 - How overwork can kill you

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,376 Teacher
edited September 11 in Work and Money
We read about the health problems associated with overworking, and why they are getting worse:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210518-how-overwork-is-literally-killing-us

Vocabulary Top 10:

utterly - completely and totally

anvil-like - like a heavy weight; anvil = a heavy iron block on which heated metal is shaped by hitting it with a hammer

stroke - a serious illness caused when a blood vessel in your brain suddenly breaks or is blocked

tease out - find something out from a mass of irrelevant information

account for - to be the cause of (something); to make up or form (a part of something)

exhaustion - the state of being extremely tired

enshrined - to remember and protect (someone or something that is valuable, admired, etc.)

bar - to prevent or forbid (someone) from doing something

tellingly - producing a strong or important effect; significantly

rein in - to limit or control (someone or something)

Have you ever experienced overworking? What problems did it cause?
Are there any laws or restrictions in your country to prevent people from overworking? If so, what are they?

@FerZaca @JuJu
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    Hi @NatashaT , This is an article which make me reflect first of all because I think actually I’m out of limit work hours per week 🤣 cited in the lines but ok...this is another story and a my problem especially...
    But the other aspect to think about is: why for some reasons people life is so important to continue to apply, sometimes, an almost dictatorial regime while for other things the most of people, also me, are continuing as nothing as happened?
    Overwork is one but what to say (I know we are out of path) about hunger in the world? How many lifes stolen by this world every year ?
    I would not to think bad anyway it’s strange, it’s seems like people life is foundamental only when can support a certain system, the same system that justifies you work 60 hours per week.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bassa I think some people work long hours to try to impress the boss. The working culture of long hours can be another reason. Those who get paid overtime, they probably do it just to earn more money. For others, they love their work so much or perhaps can't think of anything other than their work, so work long hours for this reason. I think I worked in an environment like this.

I used to also work long hours, starting early but this was mainly that I could justify (unofficially but with the silent approval of my boss) leaving early sometimes on a Friday afternoon.