Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Tuesday Night Owls - 31 August 2021 - The work ethic we inherit from our families

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,376 Teacher
edited October 7 in Home and Family
We read about the type of work ethic passed down to children of immigrants, and how your family can affect your work ethic:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210707-the-highs-and-lows-of-an-inherited-work-ethic

Vocabulary Top 10:

smuggle - to take or bring (something) secretly; to move (someone or something) from one country into another illegally and secretly

rounded - fully developed; balanced

ingrained - existing for a long time and very difficult to change : firmly established

economic means - the money that someone has

sliver - a small, thin piece that has been cut, torn, or broken from something larger

hallmark - a quality, ability, etc., that is typical of a particular person or thing

credentials - a quality, skill, or experience that makes a person suited to do a job; a document which shows that a person is qualified to do a particular job

mischievous - causing or tending to cause annoyance or minor harm or damage; showing a playful desire to cause trouble

uphold - maintain (a custom or practice)

lenient - allowing a lot of freedom and not punishing bad behaviour in a strong way; not harsh, severe, or strict

Do you have the same work ethic as your parents? What traits did they pass to you?
What is the typical work ethic in your country? Do you think it changes between generations?

@FerZaca @Alexa @filauzio @fatimuccia @EDUARDO @JuJu
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• ManuManu Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I don't think a strong working ethic could be ascribed to an entire ethnic group. Meaning no offence to anyone it rather seems to me that the article is forcing the reality of facts somehow.

It seems to me that the author was trying to debunk the largely common if wrong bias that immigrants tend to replace nationals in highly skilled jobs by claiming that they have a much higher working ethic which would offset such supposed unfairness.

I think working ethic is an individual family's characteristic not something that is shared by any members of an ethnic group. It seems too simple and misleading an assumption otherwise.

It makes sense though that skilled immigrants put in a greater effort and longer hours than their national colleagues to demonstrate their value and grit in a new unfamiliar country where they want to settle, build a new life and family. They want to be successful despite and against all odds and adversities.

It seems rather normal to me. I surely would do my best as well if I happened to emigrate and find a new job abroad. It's just your sense of honour and self-esteem which drive you to show your abilities and tenacity in any foreign place and new working place. Needless to remark it either I believe.

Besides, nowadays in high tech globalised companies I suspect staff is mainly made of employees from the most disparate nationalities either different from one another or other from their main offices' location.

Therefore you can say anyone has a high working ethic based not on their specific nationality background but rather on their harshly competitive tasks.

As for my working ethic my parents passed on to me it has to do with the principles that you have to earn your living, nothing is granted ever, there's no free meals. What else ? They taught me that you can have results if you put effort into whatever you've taken to do. The value of honesty and self-esteem.

Did it work ? Yes, I managed somehow but had to walk great part of my pathway pretending not to see around me; I had to put on blinkers shortly on not to see what happened around me in the workingplaces.

People flattering the bosses to advance in careers without deserving it. People dropping names of powerful connections in order to overpass you in internal competitions. Shrewdly but dishonestly evading tasks at your own price.

To say nothing of privileged people I stumbled upon during my university education, whose parents were professionals as lawyers, doctors, professors, high public managers etc. They spent their entire youth lazily sprawled at parties; passed long nights rubbing their backs against pubs' walls; savagely wriggling on discotheques' shiny floors; skiing down dazzling snowy slopes, in Winter, over glittering waves in the spraying wake of a motorboat, in Summer; staggering on their way home, winding along drunken at their university exam eve.

While I had to split my routine trudging between work and study they could happy-go-luckily afford not to have a working/education ethic whatever at all, all along.

That's what, regarding ethic, will never change among generations: social inequalities.

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    @filauzio I think there is a lot to be said for the suggestion immigrants are often more likely to work harder in their new country, not because it is ingrained in their culture as much as they have more to prove, and are looking often to improve their lives and that of their families perhaps back home in the country they have come from.

However how do you explain the Protestant work ethic and that these people were seen as being more industrious in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries? I'm just playing devil's avocat here!