Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Women and emancipation

mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
Even today, women around the world do not get treated fairly and in many places still are treated badly. However it was not that long ago that even in so-called developed and modern countries, women had to fight for the right to dress or do as they wanted.

I found this story of an American woman in 1938 particularly interesting.

A women’s rights history moment: Helen Hulick was called to court as a burglary witness in November 1938. The 29-year-old — an innovative educator who pioneered auditory-verbal approaches to working with deaf children — arrived in her usual attire of a top and slacks. But seeing slacks on a woman so greatly offended Judge Arthur S. Guerin that he would not allow Hulick to testify. Instead, he rescheduled her testimony and ordered her to wear a dress at her next appearance.

She refused. As the Nov. 10, 1938 issue of the L.A. Times reported, she stated: “You tell the judge I will stand on my rights. If he orders me to change into a dress I won’t do it. I like slacks. They’re comfortable.”

When she appeared in slacks once more, the judge chastised her for both attire and what he perceived as problems with her demeanor. “The last time you were in this court dressed as you are now and reclining on your neck on the back of your chair, you drew more attention from spectators, prisoners and court attaches than the legal business at hand,” Guerin said. “You were requested to return in garb acceptable to courtroom procedure. Today you come back dressed in pants and openly defying the court (…)
“The court hereby orders and directs you to return tomorrow in accepted dress. If you insist on wearing slacks again you will be prevented from testifying (…) But be prepared to be punished according to law for contempt of court.”

The Times quoted her response as follows: “Listen, I’ve worn slacks since I was 15. I don’t own a dress except a formal. If he wants me to appear in a formal gown that’s okay with me. I’ll come back in slacks and if he puts me in jail I hope it will help to free women forever of anti-slackism.”

Hulick returned wearing slacks, but this time, she also brought with her Attorney William Katz. Katz was armed with citations supporting her argument that she had the right to appear in the attire of her choice. Judge Guerin held her in contempt of court nevertheless, sentencing her to five days in jail. There, she was forced to wear a denim prisoners’ dress. She was quickly released on her own recognizance, however, after her attorney declared they would be appealing the sentence.

As Hulick’s story garnered attention, hundreds of supporters sent letters of protest to the courthouse. Finally, the Appellate Division overturned Judge Guerin’s contempt citation.
She continued to do amazing work throughout her career: In 1985, Lafayette College awarded her an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree "for her work as teacher, scientist and pioneer in the field of auditory therapy,” and in 1988, when she was 80, the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf awarded her the organization's highest tribute, Honors of the Association.

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,814 mod
    Good for her. Although I think turning up in a ball gown would have been hilarious.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the British prime minister @Cinzia80 and this article is a good example of why I don't like him.

"He has insisted everyone should be treated with “respect and dignity”, spending this week’s Tory party conference reaffirming his commitment to women’s rights, but Boris Johnson has a long history of making less-than-respectful comments about women."

ttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/06/tottymeter-and-girly-swots-how-johnson-shows-women-respect?utm_term=285b4c11428fb45e5e3668c5f38c7b11&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Vocab:

totty = A person, especially a woman, regarded as sexually desirable.
    girly swot = someone who always did their homework or prepared for something, although in Britain it often has derogatory overtones.
    "Big Girl's Blouse" = British English idiom meaning "ineffectual or weak, someone failing to show masculine strength or determination."
    a blouse = in gay sex, a blouse is a nickname for a feminine, nelly queen who happens to be a top.
  • Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited October 7
    I read something similar in my English magazine a few months ago @mheredge where there was an article about sexist words insinuate into language and English dictionary.
    In the article they referred for example to the synonyms of the word woman that includes also the words bitch, bint and bird (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    But also the word bossy that in female contest isn't referred at a woman who has a job position of power and leadership but it has a negative means: a man is a leader, a woman is a bossy. I also read that in 2014 in America started the campaign called #banbossy

But actually this isn't just an English language problem because we can find the same problem in every language (also Italian)

This year in May, the Treccani Italian Dictionary has finally erased over 52 offensive and mysoginists synonyms of the word "woman" just after a petition lead by many important cultural and politican italian people (most of whom, were women).
    Cinzia80 said:

I read something similar in my English magazine a few months ago @mheredge where there was an article about sexist words insinuating into language and the English dictionary.
    In the article they referred for example to the synonyms of the word woman that includes also the words bitch, bint and bird (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    But also the word bossy that in female contest isn't referred at a woman who has a job position of power and leadership but it has a negative sense: a man is a leader, a woman is a bossy. I also read that in 2014 in America started the campaign called #banbossy

But actually this isn't just an English language problem because we can find the same problem in every language (also Italian)

This year in May, the Treccani Italian Dictionary has finally erased over 52 offensive and misoginists synonyms of the word "woman" just after a petition was led by many important cultural and political Italian people (most of whom, were women).

Hats off to SkyUp Airlines, the privately-owned Ukrainian carrier. They have decided to put an end to heels and pencil skirts after collecting feedback from flight attendants about their uniform.

The new SkyUp uniform for women now includes white @!~* sneakers and a loose orange suit with trousers and a silk scarf, both made by Ukrainian brands. White T-shirts will replace blouses.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/ukrainian-airline-ditches-skirts-heels-loose-suits-sneakers-2021-10-07/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem: Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0P14jISRJ2AJHfEoM6yllh6QfvLVMmSKBXAafYtwZZT6xnw-MEEuZtGR8

• Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Companies should always be careful of their employees and also listen their needs. It's good that there are companies like this that has done a thing like this to make feel their women employees more comfortable in their uniforms @mheredge
    I thought it was a good move, but when I delve a bit further, interestingly, this company seems to employ a lot of women in senior positions @Cinzia80!

https://rocketreach.co/skyup-airlines-management_b4553002fc9773c8