Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Learn English in December
This month's beautiful photo was provided by Paulette.

Strange new words

mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
Let's explore strange new words. Tell us about any unusual words you come across. They may be ones that you have picked up in the 'change a letter' topics or read somewhere.

I learned a new word today: blackfishing.

Former Little Mix singer Jesy Nelson has been accused of “blackfishing” in the week she launched her debut solo single “Boyz” with Nikki Minaj.
The term was coined by journalist Wanna Thompson back in 2018 and is used to describe someone accused of pretending to be black on social media by using makeup, hair products and, in some cases, surgery to drastically alter their appearance.

I checked it in the Uban Dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blackfishing where it gave a definition as follows:

Commonly perpetrated by females of European descent (white) which involves artificial tanning (spray tanning and tanning booths) and using makeup to manipulate facial features in order to appear to have some type of Black African ancestry.

The general point of blackfishing is for a female of European descent to appear of African, Arab, or Hispanic ancestry.

Some consider it to be equivalent to modern day “black face” because it capitalizes off the looks of historically oppressed groups of people by people who come from more privileged backgrounds.

“Emma Hallberg is a beautiful mixed race Swede.”
“No, Emma isn’t mixed race, she’s just blackfishing.”
“They want to be black without being black.”

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,864 mod
    edited October 14
    I've found the word nudiustertian very strange. It refers to the day before yesterday. The origion is the word is Latin and it comes from the Latin phrase nunc dies tertius est (“now is the third day”). When I read it for the first time I thought it had something to do with nudism (naked recreation). I don't know if the word nudiustertian is commonly used. I think it's a confusing term. In the Netherlands we use the word eergisteren which resembles the English word ereyesterday. I'm wondering if even the words ereyesterday (the day before yesterday) and overtomorrow (the day after tomorrow) are commonly used.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are all archaic words that are certainly not used very often @Frank.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,814 mod
    Here is a new phrase, and it isn't English, it's Chinese: dī tóu zú (低頭族), literally the “bowed head tribe”. It is used to describe people who walk around whilst looking at their smartphones.

We definitely need a similar word / phrase.

A couple of English words that have been coined to describe the over use of smartphones are:-

Phubbing” - Which stands for “phone snubbing", when you ignore human interaction in favour of what is happening on your phone.

Smombie - Which stands for "smartphone zombie".

Which raises the questions: Do you phub people? Are you a smombie?

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 50,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29
    I hate smombies, especially those in restaurants when they are sitting surrounded by family or friends. But phubbing is just as bad. When I am with people, I usually hide the phone away while I am with them as I consider it so rude to be constantly reacting to pinging noises when messages come in.

What about smaddict?

I checked out this glossary of phone vocab and have to confess I don't understand half of them.

https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/