Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Learn English August

[ESSAY] Write a letter to a friend

Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
edited July 4 in Let's Practise and Learn
The purpose is answer in informal way to this friend's letter.

Hey Alex what a wonderful news!
Congratulations on passing the exam. I told you would make it.
I'm happy for the money you got, even if this make me a little bit envious of you :P
I guess you have selected two great ways to spend your reward, but if you want my opinion I'd choose a new videogame.
You have passed the exam, the Summer holidays are coming, so you can play videogames without concerning about the study, isn't it? And then...does the new racer game you like so much isn't released just this week? So what are you waiting for?

Keep me update!
Greetings

----------

Thanks in advance for all the corrections.
Post edited by Cinzia80 on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 52,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Cinzia80 said:

The purpose is answer in informal way to this friend's letter.

Hey Alex what a wonderful news!
    Congratulations on passing the exam. I told you that you would make it.
    I'm happy for the money you received, even if this makes me a little bit envious of you :P
    I guess you have selected two great ways to spend your reward, but if you want my opinion I'd choose a new videogame.
    You have passed the exam, the summer holidays are coming, so you can play videogames without concerning yourself about studying? And then...does the new racer game you like so much being released just this week? So what are you waiting for?

Keep me update!
    Greetings

----------

Thanks in advance for all the corrections.

If it were me, I'd want to buy books!
  • Cinzia80Cinzia80 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    Thanks @mheredge !

Can I still posting my essay here? Otherwise I'll fill in the forum with a bunch of topics like this :D

Take a look at photos 3 and 4. What are the advantages and disvantages of these types of holiday?

My essay

The third picture shows the so called backpackers, travelers who travel with a very low budget handling their trips on by their own also hitch-hiking.
    We can say that they aren't that kind of tourists that contact a tour operator to arrange their trips.

The fourth picture shows exactly the contrary, a perfect organized breakfast in a fancy all-inclusive resort.

The two pictures shows two completely different way to travel and also two different lifestyle: the first more adventurous not interested in amenity and more focused on journey itself, and the second more relaxing, focused on enjoying all the comfort a cozy a hotel can offer.

Both kind of holidays have advantages and disvantages.

Travelling without a schedule counting only on your own for every situation from taking a passage to manage to find where to sleep and where to eat in cheaper way can be adventurous but also difficult when unexpected came up and you have to face up them. But is also undeniable that you are free to do everything you want: you can sleep under the stars, you can travel wherever you want and you are free from time and schemes. In adding there is something fascinating thinking to make this kind of journey.

In the other hand a relaxing holiday on a hotel where you can be welcomed and cuddled is a very temptation, even if there is nothing adventurous in stay lying on a deckchair all day long and at the end it can result even boring.

In my opinion the best journey is the perfect mix of both kind of holiday. A journey where there are either a time for the adventure and a time for relaxing, a time for exploration and a time for being cuddled.
    Cinzia80 wrote: »
    Thanks @mheredge !

The third picture shows backpackers, travelers who travel with a very low budget, handling their trips themselves, also by hitch-hiking.
    We can say that they aren't thE kind of tourists that contact a tour operator to arrange their trips.

The fourth picture shows exactly the contrary, a perfect organized breakfast in a fancy all-inclusive resort.

The two pictures shows two completely different ways to travel and also two different lifestyles: the first more adventurous not interested in amenities and more focused on the journey itself, and the second more relaxing, focused on enjoying all the comfort a cozy hotel can offer.

Both kind of holidays have advantages and disvantages.

Travelling without a schedule, counting only on your own resources for every situation from taking a passage to managing to find where to sleep and where to eat in a cheaper way can be adventurous but also difficult when something unexpected comes up and you have to face up to them. But it is also undeniable that you are free to do everything you want: you can sleep under the stars, you can travel wherever you want and you are free from time and schemes. In addition there is something fascinating thinking to make this kind of journey.

On the other hand a relaxing holiday in an hotel where you can be welcomed and coddled is a very great temptation, even if there is nothing adventurous in staying lying on a deckchair all day long and at the end it can become even boring.

In my opinion the best journey is the perfect mix of both kinds of holiday. A journey where there are both time for adventure and time for relaxing, time for exploration and time for being coddled.

I'm not sure if you really meant cuddled (hugged) or spoilt, pampered or coddled, although coddled is not a word used much and is also a term used to describe cooking eggs!

mheredge said:

I'm not sure if you really meant cuddled (hugged) or spoilt, pampered or coddled, although coddled is not a word used much and is also a term used to describe cooking eggs!

Oh my God what a mess @mheredge :D:D:D
    I meant when you go somewhere e you find any comfort you can imagine. In this case when you go in an accomodation and it offers to you so many way to relaxing that you feel .... cuddled or pampered I guess.

In Italian we say "coccola" as noun and "coccolato" as verb (past participle).
    I think coddled describes what you mean @Cinzia80 . It's nice to feel pampered once in a while.
    edited July 17
    Another Essay!!!

Men have always used animals for their purpose: for feeding, for work, for travel, for amusement and so on. In addition, men also hunt animals for their selfish entertainment.

Now, there are some animals' species in endangered. Some of them like Black Rhino, Orangutan and Chimpanzee, Panda and Koala and so on, are in endangered either due to the climate change and to the men's hand. I guess is time to do something and take care of them.

Many endangered animals' species are held and aided in particular zoos. We were talking about species almost extinct in the wild or animals wounded and healed and then reintroduced in the wild. These particular places can often count on the generousity of people that fund them and help them to continue their work of helping animals in trouble.

Too often we decline or postpone help requests by animals' world like if they were something unimportant or expendable, too easly forgetting that they are part of the planet Earth just like us, because we are all human beings.
    Cinzia80 said:

Another Essay!!!

Men have always used animals for their own purposes: for eating, for work, for travel, for amusement and so on. In addition, men also hunt animals for their selfish entertainment.

Now, there are some animals' species in endangered. Some of them like the Black Rhino, Orangutan and Chimpanzee, Panda and Koala and so on, are in endangered either due to the climate change or due to the hand of manto the men's hand. I guess it is time to do something and take care of them.

Many endangered animals' species are kept in particular zoos. We were talking about species almost extinct in the wild or animals wounded and healed and then reintroduced in the wild. These particular places can often count on the generosity of people that fund them and help them to continue their work of helping animals in trouble.

Too often we ignore or forget to help the animal kingdom decline or postpone help requests by animals' world like as if they were something unimportant or expendable, too easily forgotten that they are part of the planet Earth just like us, because we are all human beings.

You mention climate change and humans as causes for certain animals to be endangered. It would be good to give some examples. For example, the human-animal conflicts over territory, predators dangerous to humans, and animals that damage human habitats. I think climate change is less of a problem (so far). But decreasing habitats, poachers, hunting all threaten animals.

Why do we need to protect these animals @Cinzia80 and what can you suggest to help protect endangered species?
    mheredge said:

You mention climate change and humans as causes for certain animals to be endangered. It would be good to give some examples. For example, the human-animal conflicts over territory, predators dangerous to humans, and animals that damage human habitats. I think climate change is less of a problem (so far). But decreasing habitats, poachers, hunting all threaten animals.

You are right @mheredge ! I was a little bit inaccurate. Unfortunately I'm not very aware about endangered animals or wild life, so I tried to write down just a few thoughts about animals and their importance in the cicle of life and in our human lives.

I'm writing this report in order to gathering together all the things that don't allow this Museum to be popular.

One of the main problem about this Museum is the lack of interaction between expusure and public. Nowaday people want to interact with everything instead of watching something throught a glass cabinet reading a small description card.
    A path throughout the entire Museum with stations point where pad with touch screen let to explore deeply knoledeges about what is exposed would let the visit more interesting and involving for people.

Children can boring themselves when they visit a Museum letting the visit either annoying for their parents. So it could be a great idea offer specific guides for children with staff that can catch their attention letting their visit funny and easier understandable.

In addition we should invest on social media and internet. A good website with newsletter to send to subscribers can be a easier way to promote everything, from new exposure to special events, also adding a space for reviews. A modern version of a guest book.

In conclusion our Museum is a good Museum, we only take it to the 21st century and keep up with the time. I'm sure with these changes more people will come enjoying our exposures.
    Cinzia80 said:

I'm writing this report in order to gathering together all the things that prevent this museum being popular.

One of the main problems about this museum is the lack of interaction between exhibits and the public. Nowadays people want to interact with everything instead of watching something throught a glass cabinet and reading a small description card.
    A path throughout the entire museum with stations could point to where pads with touch screens allow visitors let to explore deeply knowledge about what is exhibited and would allow the visit to be more interesting and interactive for people.

Children can get bored when they visit a museum, making letting the visit either annoying for their parents. So it could be a great idea offer specific guides for children with staff that can catch their attention, making letting their visit funny and easily understandable.

In addition we should invest on social media and internet. A good website with a newsletter to send to subscribers can be an easier way to promote everything, from new exhibitions to special events, also adding a space for reviews. A modern version of a guest book.

In conclusion our museum is a good museum, we only have to take it into the 21st century and keep up with the times. I'm sure with these changes more people will come to enjoy our exhibitions.

Good answer.

exhibitions
    edited August 19

The first picture shows a group of children who are playing together with a ball in a garden.
    The second picture shows a child who is playing alone with a videogame.

Comparing the two pictures we can say that while in the first one, children have a lot of fun, playing, giggling and smiling to each other, in the second one the child is all alone very focused on what it's happening on the screen of his videogame. Probably who is/are enjoying more his/their activity are the children in the first picture.

---------------------------

The third picture shows a girl on her laptop, while the fourth picture shows a boy dealing with cleaning. I think that what is showing in the fourth picture is how nowadays' teenagers are more self-sufficient than their parents or their relatives at their ages.

The girl in first picture is probably writing a mail to their friends, or she is watching a video on youtube, or she is scrolling pages of social media, or simply she is studying. Whatever she is doing it reflects something very common nowadays, the interaction with the technology.
    edited August 20
    Cinzia80 said:

The first picture shows a group of children who are playing together with a ball in a garden.
    The second picture shows a child who is playing alone with a videogame.

Comparing the two pictures we can say that while in the first one, children have a lot of fun, playing, giggling and smiling at each other, in the second one the child is all alone very focused on what it's happening on the screen of his videogame. Probably who is/are enjoying more his/their activity are the children in the first picture.

Probably the children in the first picture are enjoying themselves more.

---------------------------

The third picture shows a girl on her laptop, while the fourth picture shows a boy dealing with cleaning. I think that what is showing in the fourth picture is how nowadays' teenagers are more self-sufficient than their parents or their relatives were at his age.

The girl in first picture is probably writing a mail to her friends, or she is watching a video on youtube, or she is scrolling pages of social media, or simply she is studying. Whatever she is doing it reflects something very common nowadays, the interaction with the technology.

The boy in the fourth picture looks like he's being brought up well. Boys were usually less likely to help with domestic chores, though this has changed a lot now. That said, I'm not totally convinced that all teenage boys (and even girls) always help with the housework!
    Post edited by mheredge on
    mheredge said:

Probably who is/are enjoying more his/their activity are the children in the first picture.

Probably the children in the first picture are enjoying themselves more.

Thanks @mheredge for the correction, especially for this line. Surely simpler than mine :D

Well, about teenagers I think that who among them have worker parents, can find themselves in situations where they have to face up with their own, like cooking or make some cleaning.
    edited August 21
    @Cinzia80

Well, regarding teenagers, I think that those who have parents who work can find themselves in situations where they have to face up to taking care of themselves, like doing their own cooking or cleaning.

There are so many different jobs in our society that it's difficult to create a list or write about just a few of them because in their field all of them have their own importance.

The essay asks which jobs are important is our society. Well we can start mentioning all those heroes who have worked in healthcare during these hard years of pandemic, working non stopping fighting this "invisible war" against the Covid and putting themselves at the risk of infections every single day. But we can also talking about all those people who work in field, under a burning sun, to harvest the crops. And what about people who work in security like policemen, firemen, and so on? There are also people who work on building constructions often without proper precautions, risking their lives for a bounch of money.
    It's a never ending list of important jobs and people that allow our society and economy to go further.

But among all these works there is a "vip-class" of workers, revered by people, whom earn an enormous amount of money even just because their exist: sportspeople.

It's a good thing make a precisation: not all the sportspeople earn the same amount of money, especially athletes or sportspeople who militate in non professional divisions.
    But in other cases, like football, basket, car racers, tennis and so on, who play these sport earn an amount of money immeasurable. This is a "world" where every single things is ruled by money, everything is only a show which has to go on whathever can happen, because nothing can stop if there is a money interest behind. And this "world" is populated by sportspeople who gain million dollars (or euro) to throw a ball into a net, or put it into a basket o drive a fast car.

We can compared the two lists above?
    We can say it's right that a football player gains more than a medic?
    We can say a day of work under a fire sun is less important than a tennis match?

No we can't. Or at least we shouldn't.
    But there is no solutions in a society setted in that way, where the strains aren't payed and the popularity is one of the better way to earn money. Sportspeople are the nowadays "god-like" and seems that their lives and their jobs worth more than "ordinary jobs and people".
    Cinzia80 said:

There are so many different jobs in our society that it's difficult to create a list or write about just a few of them because in their field all of them have their own importance.

The essay asks which jobs are important in our society. Well we can start by mentioning all those heroes who have worked in healthcare during these hard years of the pandemic, working non-stopping fighting this "invisible war" against the Covid and putting themselves at the risk of infections every single day. But we can also talking about all those people who work in the fields, under a burning sun, to harvest the crops. And what about people who work in security services like policemen, firemen, and so on? There are also people who work on building construction sites often without proper precautions, risking their lives for a bounch of money.
    It's a never ending list of important jobs and these people that allow our society and economy to survive.

But among all these jobs there is a "vip-class" of workers, revered by people, whom earn an enormous amount of money even just because of their existance: sportspeople.

It's a good thing be precise: not all the sportspeople earn the same amount of money, especially athletes or those who play in non professional divisions.
    But in other cases, like football, basketball, car racing, tennis and so on, those who play these sports earn an immeasurable
    amount of money This is a "world" where every single things is ruled by money, everything is only a show which has to go on whatever can happens, because nothing can stop it as there is a money interest behind it. And this "world" is populated by sportspeople who gain millions of dollars (or euros) to throw a ball into a net, or put it into a basket or drive a fast car.

Can we compared the two lists above?
    Can we say it's right that a football player earns more than a medic?
    Can we say a day of work under a firey sun is less important than a tennis match?

No we can't. Or at least we shouldn't.
    But there are no solutions in a society setted in that way, where the strains aren't payed???? and the popularity is one of the better ways to earn money. Sportspeople are the nowadays "god-like" and it seems that their lives and their jobs are worth more than "ordinary jobs and people".

edited August 26
    mheredge said:

where the strains aren't payed????

I meant that the efforts made by common people in their normal jobs are less remunerated than sportspeople in sports they play.

Anyway in my last posts I failed the use of "the" in every cases, both when I put it and when I didn't :/:/:/
    Any suggestions?
    Generally @Cinzia80 'the' usually refers to something specific and when you don't need it, this is when it is uncountable.

Instead of strains, maybe injuries would be a better word (though strains are a form of injury).

edited August 27
    Thanks @mheredge I'll try to take it in mind ;)

In modern life, sedentary is something very common among people of all ages. Many of them sit in front a pc all day long studying, working or for leisure. In addition to the comfort to sit in a car or on public trainsports rather than having a walk. To not talk about all the stress we absorb living our frantic lives.

In these cases something very useful to decrease stress and gain in health is having a regular exercise. When we talk about regular exercises, most people think that they have to subscribe themselves in a gym and have a hard work out among many other people causing an uncomfortable feeling that lead them to give up before they start.

But modern technology can helps us giving us a many ways to stay health even among the walls of our home.
    Is very easy to find on Youtube (but not only there) any kind of works out: for arms, legs, abs, total body, cardio fitness and so on. And isn't necessary practice an hard work out to get benefits. It's enough to have the costancy to repeat it regularly even just for 20 or 30 minutes.

The benefits of a regular exercise will be (among the other):

The release of endorphins
    Decreaing of stress
    Decreasing of blood sugar and cholesterol
    Prevention of cardiovascular disease
    And so on

It can be easy, with no cost (you don't necessarily need an equipment, it's enough your body) and it take just a few minutes for day and the costancy to practice it. But our health will benefit a lot.

In modern life, a sedentary lifestyle is something very common among people of all ages. Many of them sit in front a pc all day long studying, working or for leisure. In addition, enjoying to the comfort of sitting in a car or on public trainsports rather than having a walking. Do not talk about all the stress we absorb living our frantic lives.

In these cases something very useful to decrease stress and become more healthy is having a regular exercise. When we talk about regular exercises, most people think that they have to subscribe to a gym and have a hard work out with many other people making them feel uncomfortable, which that leads them to give up before they start.

But modern technology can helps us in a many ways to stay health even between the walls of our home.
    It is very easy to find on Youtube (but not only there) any kind of works out: for arms, legs, abs, total body, cardio fitness and so on. And it isn't necessarily hard work out to get benefits. It's enough to have the constancy to repeat it regularly even just for 20 or 30 minutes.

The benefits of a regular exercise will be (among the other things):

The release of endorphins
    Decreasing of stress
    Decreasing of blood sugar and cholesterol
    Prevention of cardiovascular disease
    And so on

It can be easy, with no cost (you don't necessarily need any equipment, it's enough just your body) and it take just a few minutes a day and the constancy to practice it. But our health will benefit a lot.

Hahaha @Cinzia80 this is motivating me to go and have a swim! I went yesterday and it was very relaxing. But I know that I'm very out of shape and need to do more exercise, constantly, like you say here.
    edited August 28
    I'm out of shape too @mheredge
    It's impossible doing any work out during the summer time due to the hot temperatures, so I restarted with my cardio fitness just since a week.
    I might try to go for another swim today @Cinzia80. But I will try to not overdo it. I ended up with aching muscles yesterday. So then I didn't want to do much other than relax with a book!

Despite the technologies have helped to improve many things in a lot of different fields, in fashion industry nothing extraordinary is happened.

Many fashion industry have already banned the use of fur or have chosen to use sustainable fabrics in their collections, or even the use and the production of clothes made by reusable fabrics or reusable materials (for example plastic) but if we talk about technology matched with fabrics, there is nothing like those strange odd silver suits worn by people in sci-fi films. No one clothes is studied to have a special gadget hidden inside or something like that, and in my opinion is unlike that something like that can happen in the next future.

The only thing I’ve read about this topic that has a sense is the foreseen of a fabric with a special UV rays protection inside.
    But I don't think that fashion industry is oriented on this kind of choices at the moment.
    Cinzia80 said:

Despite the technologies that have helped to improve many things in a lot of different fields, in the fashion industry, nothing extraordinary has happened.

Many fashion houses have already banned the use of fur or have chosen to use sustainable fabrics in their collections, or even the use and the production of clothes made by reusable fabrics or reusable materials (for example plastic) but if we talk about technology matched with fabrics, there is nothing like those strange or odd silver suits worn by people in sci-fi films. No one clothes are found to have a special gadget hidden inside or something like that, and in my opinion it is unlikely that something like that can happen in the near future.

The only thing I’ve read about on this topic that has a sense is that it is foreseen there will be a fabric with a special UV rays protection inside.
    But I don't think that fashion industry is oriented towards this kind of option at the moment.

Gortex and breathable fabrics were quite a revolution, especially for outdoor wear. Some women wear plastic skirts and trousers (leather too).
    edited September 14
    Yes @mheredge , breathable fabrics are also used for sportswear and shoes.

Here another essay :)

It's very likely that in the near future we are going to change our habits regarding our transportations and our holiday spots.
    Indeed, a few space companies are working to take some passengers into space for brief orbiting trips. We all know well how technology changes and develops fast, so is highly likely that space travels become true even for common people (not only for rich one) by some years.
    So, the image of a family that put their possessions in a van to go all together to their holiday home it could be overcome. As well as those long beaches crowded all over the world in the Summer time, in the future they may be empty.
    Space and orbital holiday spots could replace these familiar landscapes or images we are growing up to, and van, airplanes, trains and so on replaced by space cabs.
    It's both trilling and frightening thinking how things can change in the future.
    Cinzia80 said:

It's very likely that in the near future we are going to change our habits regarding our transportations and our holiday spots.
    Indeed, a few space companies are working to take some passengers into space for brief orbiting trips. We all know well how technology changes and develops fast, so is highly likely that space travels become true even for common people (not only for the rich one) in some years.
    So, the image of a family that put their possessions in a van to go all together to their holiday home it could be overcome. As well as those long beaches crowded all over the world in the Summer time, in the future they may be empty.replaced.
    Space and orbital holiday spots could replace these familiar landscapes or images we have grown up seeing, and vans, airplanes, trains and so on will be replaced by space cabs.
    It's both trilling and frightening thinking how things can change in the future.

edited September 19
    This essay is pretty long...

Electicity isn't important in our modern lives, is foundamental!
    Everything around us is powered by electricity, so much that the real challenge is find something that have nothing to deal with it.

It's a never ending list: devices we daily use like computers, cellphones, tv, dvd reader, e-books just to say some.
    Items we use to cook in addition to refrigerators and ovens.
    Lamps, hairdryer, boilers that allow us to have hot water and so on.
    We depend so much to electricity (and we are so used to use it) to be unable to think a life without it, and I can't answer the question because it's impossible to choose just one electical appliance I can't live without.

I can say for sure that electricity has made our lives simpler than before.

------------------------

It's pretty obvious say that the disvantages regarding the cars are pollution, lack of physical movement, costs of maintenance and refueling and the fact that in big cities you risk to remain caught by the traffic for "ages" (<- I've often found this expression during my English book reading to express a large amount of time, so I hope I've used it in a right way)
    And it's equally obvious say that using a bycicle is healthier for your own life and for the environment. You have no cost for refueling and maintenance is cheaper. By using a bycicle your body gets physical movement and you certainly don't deal with the traffic.

But I totally prefer car than bycicle or other kind of transportation. Though my grandfather worked in Rome's public transportations for almost his entire life, I've always hated take bus and I can also say that I'm totally uninformed regarding Rome's public transportation like bus stops, underground and so on.

In a small way it's really my grandfather's "fault", because he always urged my brother and me to learn well how to drive. He always gave us his car to make practice and supported us during our drive exams. And even if in a big city like Rome is very frequent the possibility to being caught by the traffic, I always use my car to move around.
    Cinzia80 said:

This essay is pretty long...

Electicity isn't important in our modern lives, it is fundamental!
    Everything around us is powered by electricity, so much that the real challenge is find something that has nothing to do with it.

It's a never ending list: devices we use daily like computers, cellphones, tv, dvd readers, e-books just to say a few.
    Items we use to cook in addition to refrigerators and ovens.
    Lamps, hairdryers, boilers that allow us to have hot water and so on.
    We depend so much on electricity (and we are so used to using it) to be unable to think a life without it, and I can't answer the question because it's impossible to choose just one electrical appliance I can't live without.

I can say for sure that electricity has made our lives simpler than before.

------------------------

It's pretty obvious say that the disadvantages regarding the cars are pollution, lack of physical movement, costs of maintenance and refueling and the fact that in big cities you risk to remain caught by the traffic for ages.

And it's equally obvious to say that using a bicycle is healthier for your own life and for the environment. You have no cost for refueling and maintenance is cheaper. By using a bicycle your body gets physical exercise and you certainly don't deal with the traffic.

But I totally prefer a car than a bicycle or other kind of transportation. Though my grandfather worked in Rome's public transportations for almost his entire life, I've always hated to take a bus and I can also say that I'm totally uninformed regarding Rome's public transportation like bus stops, underground and so on.

In a small way it's really my grandfather's "fault", because he always urged my brother and me to learn well how to drive. He always gave us his car to make practice and supported us during our driving exams. And even if in a big city like Rome there is very frequent the possibility of being caught by the traffic, I always use my car to move around.