Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What's in a name?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Home and Family
Interesting research on how the name you're given as a baby can influence your life. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26634477

In some countries, governments even regulate names that are used. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21229475

And if you've wondered about the use of a middle name, then this article might be of interest. It seems that it was very useful to Edward Snowden, the famous whistleblower: Edward Joseph Snowden, or Edward James Snowden, or Edward J Snowden. This confusion, according to the Hong Kong government, led to Snowden leaving the city despite a request from the United States for his arrest. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23097107

For my part, I tend to forget my two middle names, as I don't usually have enough space to write them all and want to save myself writer's cramp!

Practise telling people your name in Lesson 4.
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭
    And if you want a bit of fun, try this quiz to see what nickname might suit you!

http://survley.com/nickname-generator.html
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    Interesting, @mheredge‌ . Using letters as names is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I ever think that before?! Just choose a letter and done!
    And I'm captain crazy.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,019 mod
    Me too @SillyLittleBleeder‌ :).
    I am Captain Crazy.
    Why am I crazy, I don't know.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    But one thing's sure, @april‌ . None of us, even me, is sillier than those quizes.
    I had a really weird nick name at school. One of my friends whose surname was Hammond was nick-named 'Ham-and-Eggs.' Another friend whose last name was Prowse was called 'Prowler.' Me? I was 'Heredge-Pie.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    You're nickname is Stiletto
    @!~*, gorgeous, and a little dangerous, like a stiletto.

LOL, I'll keep going with Xeb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Heredge-Pie, you were the edge of a pie, the crust of a pie. Is it it?
    Hahaha! Maybe better on the edge than in the middle, @Xeb.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,160 mod
    It's not just people's names that can be an issue. The man in charge of training doctors in Wales, has suggested changing the name of some Welsh health boards might improve recruitment.

He said junior doctors had no problem with places like Cardiff, but they had no idea where Hywel Dda or Betsi Cadwaladr is.

They are more likely afraid of having to tell people where they work. :smiley:
    It helps if you can get your tongue around some of the names in Wales.

I know where Betsi-y Coed is, but only because the walking club I used to belong had a climbing hut there.

http://www.betws-y-coed.com/
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,558 mod
    Did you know that your name also can influence the occupation you choose? There seem to be more Dentists with the name Dennis than with the names Walter or Jerry.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/03/dennis-is-not-more-likely-to-be-a-dentist.html
    I used to have a friend called Nick who was a dentist, but I never came across any called Dennis. I had a classmate called Denise who became a doctor. Yesterday a friend told me she had an employer who would never take on an Aries and used to check every prospective employee's date of birth before hiring them. Have you ever come across this sort of thing @lichaamstaal? Why pick on Aries?
    If I would hire someone I wouldn't check the zodiac @mheredge
    Nor would I, but I was amazed when my friend said that this person would never hire an Aries @lichaamstaal.
    I can imagine @mheredge
    But here in Nepal @lichaamstaal, people have to consult with the lamas to work out the auspicious date to get married. This seems to be around now as every day I'm hearing the trumpets going and people are getting married like there's no tomorrow. There's quite a lot of interest in 'auspicious' dates.
    I'm married on September 9th 1999 ( 9-9-'99 ). @mheredge Does that say something?
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I'm really satisfied with my nickname, It's either short or nice nickname. My name is Arash but I'm called Ary.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    My Grandmother used to call me bubbli in my childhood due to my good health and the whole family started calling me by this name. This name is so special to me as it always reminds me the sweet memories of my Grandmother! I miss her alot!
    Did you chose this date on purpose @lichaamstaal?

A Nepali friend with the name Satyan, when he moved to the UK, had to change it fast as everyone used to call him Satan. He picked the first three letters of his surname (Raj) as this was easier for British to get right.
    edited February 2015
    Yes, that extraordinary date was approaching and it was attempting to chose a special day for our marriage @mheredge. We had to be on time because many people wanted to wed on this day. I proposed my future bride in a gondola in Venice ( ♥ how romantic! ♥ ) one and a half year before the wedding date. When the wedding date approached, we were invited to sit in the audience of a Dutch TV program in our wedding dress and suit one day after the wedding. The complete audience was filled with people who had been married the day before, on the 9th of the 9th in '99. That was very special to see all these special dresses. I big advantage, to have chosen a day like that, is that I will never forget my wedding date. This date itself has become my mnemonic.
    No excuse to forget your wedding anniversary then @lichaamstaal!

A husband was in big trouble when he forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife told him... "Tomorrow there better be something in the driveway for me that goes zero to 200 in 2 seconds flat".

The next morning the wife found a small package in the driveway. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale. Funeral arrangements for the husband have been set for Saturday.
    That's funny @mheredge, the wife must have dreamt of being fast instead of being fat.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I do think that names can affect you in later life, and one of the reasons is that, rightly or wrongly, people will judge you based on what your name is before they meet you. Of course, people can change their opinions of what they originally thought once they get to know you, however a lot of the time it can also remain the opinion for good. You should always give your child a name that you feel wouldn't affect them negatively - so try and give them a name that wouldn't make them stand out.
    I know a few people who didn't like the name chosen for them and have either used a middle name or even a completely different name. I've never had any problem with mine and rather like it.
    From the moment you hear your name for the first time, you get familiar to it - and even more than that. People's name becomes the word they like to hear most of all words. If you are at a place where lots of people are gathered, like at a cocktail party, It might be rather noisy when all these people are talking. Then you have to focus and concentrate on what your interlocutor is talking about. Therefore you have to block everything other people around you say. This phenomenon is called the cocktail party effect. But somehow, if other people mention your name, suddenly you can become aware of it. Your name seems to pop out of the bunch of apparent meaningless words: 'They are talking about you!'.

People love to hear there own names. That's why it's important to try to remember people's names and to use their name frequently. This way you show you are sincerely interested in these people. They will feel validated and they will like you for it!
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    @bubbli, I've also missed my grandmother, she was really a great woman, all I can do is always remembering her.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @aryarchi she must be a great woman! Because few relations are very special in many ways!
    I remember once spending a weekend under an assumed name (it's a long story why). Worse still, I was masquerading as a Gill, but in France where the French pronunciation is different too. It was a nightmare.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    Do you know that in Bali your first child is Wayan Gede or Putu Second is Made or Kadek Third is Nyoman Komang And Fourth is Ketut Fifth is Wayan Balik B)
This discussion has been closed.