Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Find your style - or "how to avoid looking like a potatoes sack"

[Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
After barely more than a month, I've noticed that some clothes just seem to fade my second daughter's complexion while others make her hair redder and her eyes bluer. So far I had only considered the practical aspect of dressing. Now I find myself looking up fashion books to try avoiding Marie to look like a potatoes sack.
Anybody else concerned about fashion?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
    Different colours suit people differently, depending on skin tone, hair colour and a variety of other things. I'm a 'winter' person, meaning that red, white, black and blue tend to suit me better, whilst pink, cream, orange and pale colours do nothing for me. But my friend who is fair, looks brilliant in orange and all the colours I avoid like the plague.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    This analogy with seasons is interesting. I suppose Mary is a spring person, since different shades of green, yellow, red and blue seem to suit her - like flowers in spring. But I'm definitely an autumn person: I prefer brown, beige, orange and dark red.
    Red is one of the few colours that suits everyone.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,978 mod
    I hate the calour yellow on my clothes. You won`t find any piece in yellow in my wardrobe.
    I used to be the same @Hermine. Then a friend gave me a lovely fine, soft pale yellow scarf-shawl and though at first I didn't want to wear it (as I normally don't like yellow), when I did, I found it grew on me and I wore it all the time. It went particularly well with blue jeans and my black jacket.
    I suppose it depends a lot on what shade we are talking about.
    There are quite a few colours I like very much, but I can't wear them as I know they don't suit me.
    Me neither.
    I like purple, but would never wear it @Hermine.
    edited April 2014
    @Marianne, I think dark purple is a sad colour. I`ve got a bedlinen in that colour, but I do not often use it even the bedcovers and pillow cases are white.
    I'm not all that sure I'd go for purple bedlinen either, @Hermine. But I have a little purple daypack which I like. I have a friend who can wear purple as it suits her colouring very nicely. But then there's a whole range of purple from a pale lilac to a dark, deep and regal mauve colour.
    Colours have their own language:
    http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/hue.html
    From this @linc68‌, I'm much more into shades and hues. Forget the more wishy washy tones and tints!
    Yeah, the best is still to try clothes on and see if ond looks like a potatoes sack or not. ;)
    You don't want to look like a sack of potatoes, @linc68‌!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    What Colours Suit You?
    Explore more visuals like this one on the web's largest information design community - Visually.

No one would guess my "colour" season from my wardrobe.
    I always went for red, black, blue and white and so it didn't come as a surprise to be told that these colours suited me best. I'm boring that way.
    This chart is quite helpful. Everything is crystal clear at first sight. :)
    Actally pure white doesn't appear anywhere in the chart. The lighter I see is ivory. Probably makes people look like ghosts ;)
    I think crisp white blouses or shirts look nice and go with every colour @linc68‌. Crean or ivory doesn't suit me so well.
    For me, @andy, the time of year doesn't make much difference to the colours that suit me, although maybe I wear different styles. In summer I'm more likely to wear floral designs and patterns, whereas in winter I might wear more simple, solid colours.
    I like black very much too @andy. My favourite colour is red, which goes very well with black. Right now, I'm wearing baggy black cotton trousers, and a red Bermuda-style short-sleeved shirt with a bold grey and white design.
    :-)
  • BadariahBadariah Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I like purple.
This discussion has been closed.