Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Never stick pins in your mouth!

mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
This story is really scary. I often stick a pin in my mouth to hold it when I'm sewing. I definitely won't be doing this any more.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/13/experience-inhaled-pin-into-lung?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    Really lucky she was. Can you imagine what happened to others in other places where nothing could be done?
    I didn't know you could eat cotton.. wool!
    And I wonder why she lost sensation on her breast. Did they mess with her nerves or something? And yet they claimed a "successful operation". What would happen if it was "successful with minor complications"?
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,978 mod
    edited April 2014
    Sorry Marianne, I cannot watch the link you sent, because I think it will be too disgusting and I promise in situ never ever again to put a pin between my lips when sewing.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    Oh. Unbeliveable. What such a tiny object can make so much problems. On the other hand, she should be greatful, that her boss force her to go to the hospital.

I've got another question: how to set up new thread?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Isn't there a "New Discussion" button at the top left of the page, just under your name, @Rammbike‌?
    @Rammbike, @xeb got Rammbike the permission to do it? I mean you will have to go through several stations here before you are allowed to do tings older members can do.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hermine, it's just an article to read, so nothing graphic. The lady was very upbeat about it and didn't even feel any pain. This lulled her into a sense of false security. Fortunately other people were worried and suggested she went to the hospital to check everything was okay.
    @Xeb‌, no, I haven't.
    @Hermine‌ I think that I can't do it now, because I have wrote not much posts, am I right?
    @Rammike, Lynne has written the rules or how the Forum works, but I cannot find it, it would be much easier for a newbie as you are to find out more about this tool.
    I was searching too, but I didn't find.

For me isn't it a big problem. I just wanted to show/introduce you someone special, someone who few days ago did something incredible. But now curiosity have to eat you up, haha :D
    I think you might need to have made a certain number of posts, @Rammbike, before you can start new discussions. But don't worry, I'm sure it won't take long if you participate actively in the Forum.

And you can always cheat (I hope Lynne doesn't notice me saying this!) and maybe sneak in whatever it was that you wanted to show us in an existing topic that is not too different.
    @Hi Marianne, just today I learnt after sure comes `going to or not going to`. I know it is absured as a non English speaker to give advice to a native of England but please let me know why you used `won`t`?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    A lot of people mock "Health and Safety rules", but this story shows how important they can be.
    @Hermine, I could say "I'm sure it's not going to..." and this would mean the same. 'It's not going to' and 'it won't' mean pretty much the same, don't they?
  • zohaib - inactivezohaib - inactive Posts: 133 Inactive
    It is nice information, in every office there is people who take pin mouth. they don't see their little Perfunctory which will give them some sort of damage to health
    It shows how dangerous it is putting anything in your mouth, other than food and drink!
    edited June 2014
    Yesterday I was about to put a pin in my mouth. I was sewing and had no hand left for a few pins so I stuck them into my blouzer. I know that is also not a good solution, but always better then to put it in the mouth.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    What's a blouzer?
    I reckon a blouse, (rather than a blazer), @SillyLittleBleeder‌. I'm never going to stick a pin in my mouth again after reading that story. Sticking in my blouse is a much safer idea.
This discussion has been closed.