Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 Inactive
    @kindgnice First, sorry for the late answer, but i have some difficult time the last 1-2 months. SO how much is the usual monthly budget there in Hungary? In dollars?
    Well, the statics said, the average is 610$/month. But that's the statics. The "skilled" minimal wage (most of the company pay this) is 306$/month. But if you earn more than 430$/month, you are wealthy.
    And if you don't work anywhere, or you can't get a job, the government grant you 90$/month lay-off pay for a couple of months. Or they offer you to do "public work" for the government, and they pay you 200$/month.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    In Ramadan, I think I can live on a dollar a day. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think that it is absolutely possible if you plan out your meals and don't mind eating the same things a lot of the time. I don't think you could include anything other than food in with the plan though, so I don't know how people could afford rent etc on that amount of money.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure there are many countries in the world left where you can manage on a dollar a day, even if you are only counting food and drink @GemmaRowlands. I think it might be possible to exist on this for a few days, but only if you were depriving yourself of a proper diet.

Even during Ramadan @Bubbly? What about the food you're eating at night? Is this really costing less than a dollar?

@GemmaRowlands I like your confidence. ;)

@mheredge yes only if we eat fritters with garlic sauce. :(
    But how long can you keep going for on just fritters and garlic sauce @Bubbly? Maybe it is a good time to lose weight!
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    one dollar for every needs including foods, transportations, and rents? No sir.
    @mheredge yes. A real time tragedy is that due to price hikes in Ramadan, no body is able to buy a good stuff for Aftar.
    @nuurussubchiy Is it possible if you skip transportation and rent?
    Why are the prices High @Bubbly? Is this due to racketeers or genuine shortages?
  • nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I need at least one dollar to get a meal. if i need 3 meals a day, that should be 3 dollars.
    But i can buy 4 noodles with 1 dollar, i can eat 2 noodles a day. wish my stomach is strong enough.
    or i can buy breads, that will work.
    or i can get 0.5 kilogram of potatoes and a bottle of ketchup.
    i think yes, yes i can live with that @Bubbly
  • engreemengreem Posts: 28 Inactive
    I think it is impossible .My for a few days
    A lot of things are fairly reasonable in price here in Colombia, but I'm surprised at how expensive some things are, like bread, and other foodstuffs. But in a café, a cup of decent coffee costs just over a dollar, so my dollar wouldn't go very far here!
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure there are many countries in the world left where you can manage on a dollar a day, even if you are only counting food and drink @GemmaRowlands. I think it might be possible to exist on this for a few days, but only if you were depriving yourself of a proper diet.

Well yes, that is true. I had to once work out how much it would cost to live per day if I was eating the bare minimum and I could just about do it but my diet wouldn't be very good at all.
  • loscarloscar Posts: 2
    In El Salvador is possible to live on a dollar, if you live in the countryside, but if you live in the city is impossible because the life is more spensive.
    Especially if you want to eat fruit, meat or fish, @GemmaRowlands but even vegetables. I don't see how anyone can manage on a dollar a day in the UK. It would be near impossible in a cheap, poor country like Nepal, (as the movie showed).
    mheredge said:

Especially if you want to eat fruit, meat or fish, @GemmaRowlands but even vegetables. I don't see how anyone can manage on a dollar a day in the UK. It would be near impossible in a cheap, poor country like Nepal, (as the movie showed).

I don't eat meat or fish, I would be happy to live on things like pasta and rice in the short term, but it isn't a very healthy option in the long term.
  • NascimentoNascimento Posts: 26 ✭✭
    :| If we convert 1$ Dollar to Real from Brazil, We have 3,5R$. Maybe, just for an experience we could live with this for one month, but only for food. In Sao Paulo, We have a big restaurant sponsored by the local government where the price of the each food is 1R$. That is destined to people who live on the streets or those very poor people. I heard that the food is very tasty.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    1 dollar is 67.74 Indian Rupee. That is enough to sustain for a day in India for one person. There are many who earn less than 1 dollar in India and still they are happy. There are many tribals who earn less than 1 dollar. They dont commit suicide !! like rich people, who have everything monetarily We can say that Poor are ignorant about the outside world. But as it is said Ignorance is Bliss.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,221 mod
    edited June 2016
    @Hegalian - I don't equate money with happiness, but I don't think ignorance is bliss either. I'm afraid its going to be less and less likely that people in India will be able to live on $1 a day.

@Nascimento - Governments have learnt not to let people go hungry. It puts us in a bad mood.

In the UK we have soup kitchens for the homeless, and food banks for the poor.
    hegalian said:

1 dollar is 67.74 Indian Rupee. That is enough to sustain for a day in India for one person. There are many who earn less than 1 dollar in India and still they are happy. There are many tribals who earn less than 1 dollar. They dont commit suicide !! like rich people, who have everything monetarily We can say that Poor are ignorant about the outside world. But as it is said Ignorance is Bliss.

I wouldn't say that ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't want to live the life of some of the poor people who have to live on so little, as it is a struggle for them - but I know for a fact that if they could trade lives with us they would appreciate everything that we take for granted a lot more than we do.
    edited June 2016
    I know what you mean @hegalian. It's not so much 'ignorance is bliss' but more a case of being content with what you have and not wanting things other people have so much that it makes you unhappy with your situation. In the countryside in India and Nepal, you can still find this, but less and less as time goes by. People are less ignorant of how other people live, with things like the internet and better communication. It was only a few years ago when a village I work with in Nepal had no internet and only one TV in the village, which didn't work much as there was no electricity!

Things are quite a bit cheaper in India than Nepal @hegalian. In Nepal I think most people even in the countryside wouldn't find it very easy to manage unless they were farmers growing all their food.
  • anwarmohiuddinanwarmohiuddin Posts: 5
    its very difficult to live on a dollar per day, but we can earn more dollars at the end of the day for better living.
    In some countries it can be hard to earn more dollars @anwarmohiuddin.
    mheredge said:

In some countries it can be hard to earn more dollars @anwarmohiuddin.

This is very true. I see some countries that pay a tiny wage for certain jobs, and the poor people who do those jobs don't have any chance of ever making a proper living.
  • anwarmohiuddinanwarmohiuddin Posts: 5
    yes I know it is very hard to earn in some countries, I believe that if we work together and try to solve this problems around us then the future will be better then today, I hope [email protected]
    I agree @anwarmohiuddin. There's a lot richer countries can do to help poorer countries. Unfortunately there's also a lot the rich countries do that exploits the poorer, less developed countries.
    After going to buy some stuff for Aftar, I must say that it is difficult to live on a dollar a day.
    I just spent about 30 $ on food and I wasn't even buying anything especially luxurious. Food isn't as cheap as it could be if you want to eat a decent balanced diet.
    @mheredge Even fruits are very costly these days. I don't know why does it happen in Ramadan?