Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Ghosts: More science than superstition?

13»

Comments

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭
    @Larry_the_Zebra @GemmaRowlands @Tinka @mheredge

The biggest problem is that we tend to try to understand things from what we already know, but since "ghost phenomenon" are what are new to us, we can't understand them like we understand phenomenon such as boiling water or water turning into ice. I think we need a new method and a new scale.

This quotation seems insightful!
    @takafromtokyo You've hit on the major problem in proving the existence of these things. To be 'scientifically proven' a phenomenon has to be able to be reproduced at will in a laboratory. Since so much of this is based on unique situations, or on time and place and the people involved, it's very difficult -- or impossible -- to reproduce at will in another place with different people. Therefore, it does not fit the framework of 'scientific'.

Another problem is that many scientists who investigate these things are not like the X-files people. They DO NOT want to believe. They are normally out of prove it doesn't exist, or to give (for me) equally far-fetched explanations for ghostly events that are minorly insulting to the people who were involved in the event being explored.

And yes, dogs are normally some of the first animals to pick up on a change in the environment. It is also said that nature goes quiet about 20 minutes before an earthquake, as well. No bird chirping, no sounds from any animals. They can tell something is coming.

I have heard this from people like my grandfather that when something wrong is going to happen .It was the animal who sensed it first and react accordingly. I have heard dog crying on the street several times and people beside it try to stop it from crying. Because they thought that something wrong would happen.

It is just an intuition or something else. I couldn't figure it out. But with your post @Larry_the_Zebra I feel a little scared.
    edited February 2017
    @NeuroMed Hello and welcome to the Learn English Forum!

That is a good question.

I think the first thing we have to do is answer 'what is a demon'? Is it a creature like an elf or a fairy, but a lot meaner and with horns and tails? Or are they symbolic representations of natural phenomenon?

I personally do not believe in things like demon possessions. That is, when a person seems to have a demon living in them. I think that is a very aggressive form of mental illness. It is a confusion in the spirit of the person, not something that comes from another creature entering the body of a person.

But kinetic energy, which makes poltergeists among other things, can be very powerful. It can levitate objects, it can throw objects, it can turn on and off lights, it can follow you, it can shake a bed, it can do a lot of the things we can see in Hollywood movies about ghosts.

But what parapsychologists have discovered, is that these poltergeists normal center around only one person and they believe that it is this person who can -- perhaps unknowingly! -- create or control the poltergeist. That means: a person can collect moving energy around themselves, as if it was a hurricane or a tornado. Is that a demon? This moving energy around a single person?

No matter what it is, fetch can be very frightening and even dangerous at times. So, could they be the same thing? Yes, they could be. But it all depends on your definition of what a demon is.

I still am not getting the definition of a demon. Are you saying the guy with horn ,poltergeist and a tornado all can be a demon according to persons perspectives?
    Post edited by mohit_singh on
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh No reason to feel scared! If animals can sense it first, then you have some warning, don't you? If you had no warning, you might not have time to help yourself.

Sometimes, as in the case of earthquakes, being warned 10 or 15 minutes in advance can give you enough time to find a safe place to stand, and you might live through the earthquake. If you were surprised by it, however, perhaps you wouldn't have time to find a safe place and you might be injured or worse!

Animals can hear higher frequencies of sound than humans, and often natural events have a 'sound' to them that we humans can't hear. We don't hear them coming, but animals do! That's positive, I think, because we can use the information to make ourselves safe.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh @Larry_the_Zebra @mheredge @Yellowtail @GemmaRowlands

I'm not a researcher or a scientist so I myself can't explain or prove what I'm going to tell you now.

The most simple fact that we exist today, and the fact that actually I'm communicating with you, Mohit, is enough for me to believe that there's something more about life and existence than we think we know. Technology is advancing rapidly, so mankind may find out the truth behind "existence" in the future. Time will tell. But the biggest fact that makes me believe there could be ghosts is this.

We may be able to create each organs and gather them in one place and somehow connect them, but it doesn't mean this gathered up pile of organs HAVE life. Something else must be needed to ADD life to it, and I think people have called this something a "soul" or "spirit".

In a sense, I believe we truly exist prior to being in each of our body. Mohit is there not because his body is there but because his soul is there in his body. The body itself is not Mohit. What's inside in his body, and what's making his body function, is Mohit himself. While body parts or even his whole body could be replaced by the advancement of technology, Mohit himself would never be replaceable.

One day we will leave our bodies, and I'm not so sure where we go, but I think there's a possibility that we might see or sense some of those who have left the bodies still "exist" around us; it's just that they don't happen to be riding a body now.

What do you think?
    @takafromtokyo I really like the phrase 'riding a body'! That's a good way to put it. I believe in reincarnation, so I also think that we existed before we were born. Our current bodies, and even our current personalities to some extent, are only temporary. We've had many other bodies and many other personalities, but only one spirit that lies at the center of it all.
    @Larry_the_Zebra

Or, we could say "trapped in our bodies" in a slightly negative way, but it implies that we could be doing more if we were not limited to our bodies, then I think you can have a more positive picture. Don't you think you would be commenting more, making corrections more, helping and understanding more about others if your body only let you? Your spirit or soul tells you from deep down in your body that you want to contribute more and interact more with others but you're trapped in your body.
    @takafromtokyo No, I don't think I'd do more, or be more interested in people, if I didn't have a body weighing me down. Perhaps I might be able to work longer, but do I really want that?

There are some people who don't sleep. They don't seem to need it. They haven't slept in years, so they have 24 hrs a day available to them. Are they millionaires? No. Have they achieved more than other people? No. Are most of them very unhappy? Yes.

Their bodies are not stopping them by needing sleep or becoming overly tired. And yet, they don't seem to be better off than anybody else.
    @Larry_the_Zebra

Haha!
    You're absolutely true. People who work overtime don't always seem happy. It's true that happiness varies among individuals.
    edited February 2017
    @mohit_singh @Larry_the_Zebra @mheredge @Yellowtail @GemmaRowlands

I'm not a researcher or a scientist so I myself can't explain or prove what I'm going to tell you now.

The most simple fact that we exist today, and the fact that actually I'm communicating with you, Mohit, is enough for me to believe that there's something more about life and existence than we think we know. Technology is advancing rapidly, so mankind may find out the truth behind "existence" in the future. Time will tell. But the biggest fact that makes me believe there could be ghosts is this.

We may be able to create each organs and gather them in one place and somehow connect them, but it doesn't mean this gathered up pile of organs HAVE life. Something else must be needed to ADD life to it, and I think people have called this something a "soul" or "spirit".

In a sense, I believe we truly exist prior to being in each of our body. Mohit is there not because his body is there but because his soul is there in his body. The body itself is not Mohit. What's inside in his body, and what's making his body function, is Mohit himself. While body parts or even his whole body could be replaced by the advancement of technology, Mohit himself would never be replaceable.

One day we will leave our bodies, and I'm not so sure where we go, but I think there's a possibility that we might see or sense some of those who have left the bodies still "exist" around us; it's just that they don't happen to be riding a body now.

What do you think?
    I am confused after this argument @takafromtokyo .

What about animals and other species that have life too. I heard somewhere that we used to change our body after every reincarnation based on our performance or karma in this world.

I am not confident that we have spirit without bodies. Because I haven't seen it. But anything could be possible. There may be some pages in the book that is not visible to all.It could be written for specific audience.
    Everyone dies and born again. This keeps on going like a recycling process. What makes them ghost? Why they haven't got a new body?

@takafromtokyo @Larry_the_Zebra.
  • MorewayMoreway Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @Larry_the_Zebra
    I have read a little about Jung Carl Gustav's books.He mentioned once his closet suddenly crumbled by itself.He believed that was something done by ghosts.I would like experience with a ghost as long as it will not hurt me.I want to gain an insight into the mysterious part of the world,but unfortunate for me, I have never met a ghost.
    @mohit_singh

>What about animals and other species that have life too. I heard somewhere that we used to change our body after every reincarnation based on our performance or karma in this world.

On this argument, I don't believe in reincarnation the way this someone thinks it is. When someone makes a statement such as "if we do good deeds, we'll live in a form of higher value in our next life. If you were bad in this life, you might come back to this world as a bug or insect.", I think you're already implementing the value scale that's familiar to human eyes, and it's implemented in two parts.

Number one is that you're deciding what's good and what's bad according to what's familiar to mankind. People may praise someone that has built a bridge over a troubled waters. Sure it might be "good" for people living there, but the fish in the river could have a different opinion.

Number two is that by making such a statement, you've already put human's life more valuable to the lives of other forms. It's almost as if saying that a bug is some kind of a punishment.

From those two reasons, I don't think reincarnation as such exists. It's a story that mankind has invented. But I do believe there's something beyond our material world, or otherwise there's no way a simple gathering of materials could start living, and I think we need new methods and tools if we were to study and understand this "spiritual" world.
    Making bridge is mankind?? I guess helping other(Human) in a good way is the definition of mankind. If we are kind does not mean that our life would also be a successful one. I think a successful life is a combination of all the test that we go through and how's we approach such testing situation. Is there any righteousness inside you while giving such test. If yes then you passed the test.

But mostly human's are filled with greed, pride, selfishness and many more negative traits.Isn't It?

If I am making a bridge and thinking that it will help mankind then I am good and clean.I think fish does not have that much capability to think about their good and bad. It's only with the human. We are superior! yes, we are! and we get this life to do more than a fish.

@takafromtokyo @Larry_the_Zebra
    I think I am diverting you guys from Ghosts and their existence! Pardon for that! :D:D
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    The idea that spirit resides in the body is very common. But some people think in a different way. They think spirit and life can be explained just as physical functions. Like, life is the phenomenon that the activities of protein cause, spirit is the outcome of the electric signals in the brain, and so on. And its the only explanation current science can give us for the subject.

But I can not be content with that. Because it doesn't explain why we have life and spirit in the first place. Just because of an accident? There is no special meaning? My instinct turns it down.

So I believe there is something true in those accounts about ghosts. Even though I'm not sure if it can be simply explained as floating spirits having left the body.
    @Moreway A lot of people have not met any type of ghost....if that was a spirit outside of its body or something else. But many people have experienced 'strange' events that they could not explain.

Most "ghosts" can't harm you because they are not thinking nor alive. They are pictures, or films, from the past according to the theories I've read.

Carl Jung had a lot of good ideas and I'm certain that he had a good reason for thinking that a ghost had crumpled his closet!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I believe in reincarnation too @mohit_singh, so I guess this means that I have lived many lives before this one.