Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Drawing courses and books you recommend for beginners

paresh3301paresh3301 Posts: 25 ✭✭
There are lots of drawing books and resources out there my personal favourites are Andrew Loomis books
I have a list and order in which to read them (suggested by someone else) for loomis books
They are freely available under public domain so you can just google the name of book and download it

1) "Fun with Pencil"
2) "Figure Drawing for all its worth" or "Successful Drawing"
3) "Creative Illustration"
4) and finally "The Eye of the Painter"

I have also read Drawing on the right side of the brain and I enjoy watching lovelifedrawing lessons on how to draw :)

Please share resources you find useful for composition, proportions, forms and what do you practice for such.
drawabox is another resource I have heard of and tried, though didn't get far enough to have an opinion on that.

My background:
I am a beginner drawing student, I have spent around 4-5 months drawing things from life and photographs, I aspire to be an artist.
I am yet to find my loving medium of expression.

Thank you

Comments

• Thank you for sharing this information. The books are very interesting and professional.
  • paresh3301paresh3301 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Yes, I love andrew loomis ones, though I would love to know of more such books.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @paresh3301,

Would you mind sharing a few drawing you made?
    I'm a bit curious about how our drawing skills could develop after 6 months starting to learn how to draw. ^^
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    edited October 2018
    Yes, I have kept my before drawings at my house, but I can show you my after drawings imgur[dot]com/a/SAYIbo5

I did a lot more, I have also started doodling, my previous drawings were really bad, like the ones we all did in childhood. These books have taught me how to see the world in a whole new perspective.
    Starting with drawing people! Boy! You haven't decided to start with the easiest thing to draw. And I'm impressed. Your drawings are expressive. I like the 2nd one.
    2nd is a copied work, I copied one of the masters work, the original drawing was even better.
    Yes, Drawing people is fun, I get instant critique and it is satisfying. For now I am learning more about values.
    I hope to be an artists in next 10 years (hopefully)
    @paresh3301 - What does it mean 'learning about values'? What values are you talking about?
    @Zom , Shading basically, "Value refers to the relative lightness or darkness of a certain area. Value can be used for emphasis. Variations in value are used to create a focal point for the design of a picture. "
    Oh! Is it the same as hue?
    No, Hue is the name of color, Value is the intensity of it.
    I think you can also the word 'hue' for the different shades of a same colour, but, yes, I don't think it expresses intensity. 'Value' must be one of the technical word in drawing.

It sounds like you want to master the different drawing techniques. Good luck with it. ^^
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭
    > @paresh3301 said:
    > Please share resources you find useful for composition, proportions, forms and what do you practice for such.

> drawabox is another resource I have heard of and tried, though didn't get far enough to have an opinion on that.

@paresh3301, I think you need to find a teacher or a school of academic drawing near your place. It's not an art one can master with the help of books only. There are basics a student needs to practice a lot before some books may be useful, and I'd prefer the ones recommended by my teacher, since there are lots of approaches and one can't practice all of them.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    I once had my own copy of Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth". Though I sold it years ago, I remember it was a good book and I learned a lot from it. But in my experience, what improved my drawing the most was practice and practice. For figure drawing, I used to do dozens of drawing every day from pictures (real models would be much better, but I had no one for modeling). I think knowledge is useful, but it would make nothing without practice.
    I agree, @Yellowtail and @Practical_Severard , I am on the lookout for a teacher but I can't commit.
    In the meanwhile, I try to draw whenever I have free time, I enjoy drawing from life and would love to do that, but again I don't have a model to draw. So I usually draw people in buses, public places.
    I am and will continue to practice more and more :)