Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

If you were to choose another country, where would you like to live?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
Imagine that you could could choose anywhere in the world to live (other than your own country). Where would you want to go? Why would you prefer living in this country?

I have chosen France for lots of reasons. Apart from some of the best cuisine in the world, I speak French.

This article describes which countries have been seen to have the best quality of life. Taiwan, Portugal and Spain are at the top of the list, which includes measurement of leisure, personal happiness, transport, health, safety and digital life. I was surprised to see how badly Germany scores on this last category!

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/2018/quality-of-life-index-39586?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_mails&utm_campaign=42_20181018&utm_content=QualityofLife3Big&rel=mailing

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I would love to live in Australia, as I just think there is so much to do outdoors, and it's exactly the kind of lifestyle I would really like.
  • JMAROUFJMAROUF Posts: 104 ✭✭
    if i could choose an other country to live in , i woud go to europe , and especially french , i like this country , i speak french well and i will improve my career knowing that there is so much opportunities in computer programing
  • VokVok Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at all that Germany has fallen so behind in the last category. You can't expect a prosperous digital life from the country which internet accebility and quality in general leave a lot to be desired.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you been to Australia before @GemmaRowlands? I quite liked it to visit, but would not want to live there. A Kiwi friend of mine who used to live and work in Sydney for many years and has an Australian pension had to spend a couple of years living there in order to be able to withdraw her pension overseas. I think she was very glad when her 'prison sentence' was up! I visited her when she was in Cairns, which was nice for a short holiday. The politics are as dire as the US and UK, the cost of living is very high and I understand that the cultural scene leaves a lot to be desired.

@JMAROUF bravo! I can understand your choice.

@Vok I was surprised to learn that the Germans are not very good on the digital side of things as they have such a high reputation for precision and quality. If it wasn't for the climate, I could imagine myself very happy living somewhere like Berlin. You are in Germany now - could you imagine living there?

I suppose if I wasn't in France however, Spain would get my vote for the place I could happily settle down in.
    @mheredge I feel very comfortable in Germany. I think this country has everything for a good living. I like when everything is planned and scheduled, and would definitely consider to move here. I'd also live in Spain, but not work there, though.
    I was very impressed by Germany when I visited earlier year. I found the people very open minded and I also felt extremely comfortable here @Vok. I think you have a good point about Spain. It is a bit like Nepal, with 'manana' (tomorrow) being the reason I'd find it a bot frustrating. Give me 'German efficiency' any day!
    mheredge said:

Have you been to Australia before @GemmaRowlands? I quite liked it to visit, but would not want to live there. A Kiwi friend of mine who used to live and work in Sydney for many years and has an Australian pension had to spend a couple of years living there in order to be able to withdraw her pension overseas. I think she was very glad when her 'prison sentence' was up! I visited her when she was in Cairns, which was nice for a short holiday. The politics are as dire as the US and UK, the cost of living is very high and I understand that the cultural scene leaves a lot to be desired.

No I haven't.. I've just watched lots of shows where people have relocated and they seem to like it. Plus, my partner works in a professional where we could live over there, and I can do my work from anywhere so it doesn't matter where we're based.
  • DhananjayDhananjay Posts: 26 ✭✭
    If i really have a choice I would prefer to be in USA. There are many university which fascinates me specially the MIT.
    Dhananjay said:

If i really have a choice I would prefer to be in USA. There are many university which fascinates me specially the MIT.

Which university course would you want to go to if you could choose right now? I did psychology and I really enjoyed it.
    I think the culture in a country is important for me, which is why I like France, but other countries like Spain would be good too. I love Italy, but to visit and the politics and economic problems there would put me off. Australia is so far from everywhere (airfares are horrendously expensive) and also the politics and local culture doesn't appeal, though New Zealand, in my view is very different - apart from being so far away.
  • DhananjayDhananjay Posts: 26 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I would like to go for MS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
    After the last day of non-stop rain, I realise how important the weather is to me for choosing where to live. Fortunately Nice is not very wet usually, but this is why I prefer not to live in the UK!
    Dhananjay said:

@GemmaRowlands I would like to go for MS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

That sounds very interesting. I hope you manage to get a place at the university of your dreams, as you deserve to get there :).
  • IvanZhaoIvanZhao Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I think Singopore is a good choice.
    IvanZhao said:

I think Singopore is a good choice.

Why would you make that choice? It's not a country I know a huge amount about, but I know a couple of people who have visited on their way to Australia.
    @IvanZhao I like Singapore a lot. I think the quality of live there is very high, but I'm not sure if I would like the constant heat and humidity.

I'm in Nepal for a couple of months. It's cool in the winter, but (unless you are in the mountains), not as chilly and damp as the UK. I don't think that I'd like to live here all the time though, as the pollution and traffic congestion is horrendous.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    For me Germany is good country for living. I like their culture, economy and all organisation of that country.
    walter said:

For me Germany is good country for living. I like their culture, economy and all organisation of that country.

My cousin wants to move to Germany, and I know that he is actively looking for work over there, so I hope he manages to find it!
    @walter and @GemmaRowlands from what I have seen of Germany, I think it is a good place to live and work. I love Berlin particularly, except the climate. But the south of Germany is much more 'Mediterranean.'
    @GemmaRowlands @mheredge I also have some friends which periodically go at Germany for a job. They go at three months, and then go back to rest also three months. They have such a contract. Also one my older friend which is heart surgeon was had offer to go at Germany for a job where he would be had a big salary, but unfortunately he did`t succeed to learn German language.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    Anywhere but here at the moment! :'(
    Oh @amatsuscribbler I am so totally in sympathy for you! I am hoping that there will be a second referendum, tedious though I know this will be. And then I hope and pray that this time, the people will not be so deluded and will do the right thing!

@walter language is so important and especially in a job like that!
    mheredge said:

@walter and @GemmaRowlands from what I have seen of Germany, I think it is a good place to live and work. I love Berlin particularly, except the climate. But the south of Germany is much more 'Mediterranean.'

I think I would want to live in the South then, as the only way I would want to move abroad is if I could get a better climate than I was having here.
    If I wasn't so keen on the south of France, I think southern Spain would be another place where I would be happy to live @GemmaRowlands.
    @mheredge Yes I agree with you. Recently, I was be in abroad, country in which I don`t know any word of their language. I was feeling as total stranger and that journey was be very uncomfortable for me.
    @walter look on the bright side - it can be used as an excuse for not paying for public transport for example.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    Have you tried Google translate @walter ? Teach showed me an amazing app on her phone where it will speak for you!
    mheredge said:

If I wasn't so keen on the south of France, I think southern Spain would be another place where I would be happy to live @GemmaRowlands.

My grandmother is Spanish so I have some family over there, so I suppose I could try and find somewhere near them to live if I really wanted to.
    @vok Yes, that can be bright side.

@amatsuscribbler I using Google translate to check how I written sentence. I know that google translate is not very good for translating full sentence, but he can to help me as some guide.
    What`s name of that app which your teacher using?
    @walter I want to live in Luxemburg where the local plan to go for free buses will sound the death knell for travel expenses.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/free-buses-greener-luxembourg-radical-climate-change