Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

First unassisted solo crossing of Antarctic

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
Colin O’Brady completes historic Antarctic crossing, 70 miles ahead of rival. He is the first to cross the 1500km, lugging his supplies for 54 days solo without assistance.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/26/colin-obrady-completes-historic-antarctic-crossing-70-miles-ahead-of-rival/?fbclid=IwAR2-5awJ5cGUzdxkfkwfpXxXeMX8qFznzN54VSjL7KeztmCNpcpByIDyWFc

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    It's no mean feat. Did he have any means of communication? I think I can spend 54 days without uttering a word to anyone, but it would be difficult for me to stay away from any kind of entertainment. I wonder what his next challenge will look like.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet he was so exhausted at the end of the day, he probably was more than happy to sleep @Vok. But maybe he had some books or even movies downloaded to entertain himself. I bet he must have had solar chargers.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Wow. I can't even imagine how much strength, both physically and mentally, it took to do this. Spending 54 days completely on your own is just astonishing, with only your own mind for company.
    I can't imagine how difficult it must have been getting up in such cold every day @GemmaRowlands.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it hadn't been enough just to trail yourself in such an hostile environment, he also had to lug a loaded sled along.
    I can't imagine how many calories he must have spent per crossed mile.
    You really need strong motivation to achieve such extreme performances; besides, your pain threshold must be far higher than common people's.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Not for me @filauzio. I hate having cold feet. Right not my feet are resting on my metal water bottle that I have filled with hot water as an improvised hot water bottle.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahah, so you got a further use from your metal water bottle, @mheredge, I appreciate your creativity.

It operates the same with me: my feet are the most sensitive sentries warning me of chilly climate setting in.

Second come my hands and my ears. Definitely, my temperature's most trustworthy sensors are my bodies extremities.

In fact, as long as I'm wearing warm socks, gloves and hat made of wool or pile fabric, I can overlook wrapping up heavily, because I feel already comfortable and warm.

In case of strong biting wind, however, you should wear a protective balaclava too ( strange name this latter one, for a whole-face warm hat that we in Italy call ' passamontagna ', literally ' crossing-mountain ( hat ) ' ).

In the picture above, I see that the Antarctica's exploit's performer was wearing a stiff rubber facial mask.

I think it really an indispensable gear's item, not only to protect yourself from strong wind, by also from the sunburn of the reflecting icy surface.

I thought you were somewhat accustomed to cold temperatures, given the time you spend high on Nepalis' altitudes though.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been getting up in such cold every day @GemmaRowlands.

I struggle enough getting up in the "cold" in my house, and that's very warm in comparison to what he must have had to deal with.
    edited January 11
    If it's really cold, as well as socks in bed @filauzio, I find a hat is a good idea. The body can lose up to 10% of the body heat through the head. I sometimes start off with a scarf in bed too, but usually find I warm up quickly enough to be able to discard it after a while. Last night was cold but I didn't need a hot bottle, just woolly socks. Unfortunately I think Kathmandu will be a bit colder than here.