Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Do you really live?

sammanisammani Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
What comes to your mind when you think that you are actually living ?What does that mean living?well,as my point off view seeing the world ,do what we really like to do,without wasting time and be who you really are and enjoy every moment of your life are called living.so what is your opinion about living,just post here whether you are really live ?share your experiences.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a great believer in living your own life, and not trying to be someone you are not, or someone that someone else wants you to be.

I tend to be rather hyperactive and keep busy doing things all the time. To me this is also what I call living. I like to live my life to the full.
  • JuliannaJulianna Posts: 38 Inactive
    It seems to me that "to live"- is to help to someone. Help my close relatives and do something good for people. 30 years ago I thought differently, but now I think that I'm changing with age. When a cat came to our house, I couldn't throw it out into the street and the cat stayed with us. When I saw on TV that the child needs bone marrow transplantation and his mom urgently need money for the his surgery, I transferred as much as I could, just reduced the budget for a week. I realized that I no longer need an expensive hair shampoo or a bag from MICHAEL KORS. I dream of taking a child from an orphanage from Ukraine for the summer holidays. I contacted a charity.
    I like your idea of what it is to 'live' @Julianna. I think too many people nowadays are too engrossed in material things and themselves. But giving can give so much pleasure and is really what life is about.
    Exactly! For me it turned out to be a surprise that giving is much better for me than taking.
    It is the same when it comes to working as a volunteer on something that you care about or find interesting @Julianna.
    My son studies computer science at university, he volunteers every Saturday. At first he went with friends to start a successful growth in his future career, but then he liked it and he just continues to do it.
    That's really good @Julianna. In some societies, young people see it as something they should do to help 'pay back' to their communities. I find this a lot in Nepal, where there is often this view held by educated youngsters.

I don't really go along with the volunteer tourism however, as I sometimes feel this exploits not only the volunteer (paying to volunteer) but the people who are in theory being helped.
    What do you mean by volunteer tourism? When do people allow tourists to provide them with free housing?
    edited April 20
    Volunteer tourism is when people travel to a country @Julianna, usually a poor one, and volunteer in a children's home or teaching in a school. They typically stay for a few weeks only and often have their accommodation and meals provided but pay quite a lot for the experience. My charity (Rural Assistance Nepal) sends volunteers to help a hospital but I wouldn't really call it volunteer tourism in quite the same way as these are final year medical students who have to spend a month working in a hospital somewhere. They pay for all of their expenses and my charity does not charge anything to the volunteers. If they want to help the hospital in some way by a donation, it is up to them and a few do, but there is absolutely no pressure. Volunteer tourism is run more like a business as volunteers pay the organisation that places them and often this is in a children's home which encourages local people to set these up to exploit the situation. I could rant on for hours about the disadvantages of this sort of volunteering.