Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Buying and selling

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
Do you have any experience of buying and selling? Me and my partner are doing a little of it at the moment, buying things and then selling them to other people to see if we can make any extra money.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this before, and if you had any tips about how to do it the best!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hopeless when it comes to selling things and usually end up giving them away. However I have just sold my washing machine.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I'm hopeless when it comes to selling things and usually end up giving them away. However I have just sold my washing machine.

It is much easier to just give them to someone, which is what I would do if it was something of mine that I was getting rid of, but I don't think that would be a very good business plan!
    Sometimes it's not worth the effort to sell, but if the buyer can take it away, then you can save yourself a lot of trouble. It depends how valuable it is I suppose. When I get back, I'm hoping maybe furniture I had to pay for to transport to the second hand shop might have been sold as this way it will have paid for the expense of getting it out of my flat.
    mheredge said:

Sometimes it's not worth the effort to sell, but if the buyer can take it away, then you can save yourself a lot of trouble. It depends how valuable it is I suppose. When I get back, I'm hoping maybe furniture I had to pay for to transport to the second hand shop might have been sold as this way it will have paid for the expense of getting it out of my flat.

We usually ask people to come and pick things up from us, which they are normally happy to do, but we do drop things off sometimes if they are very close to us.
    It is fine if you have a car, which I don't have. Fortunately Nice is very good about removing large items that are unwanted. I am getting rid of lots of things and the town hall will be sending the rubbish collectors on Friday. A friend is coming round tomorrow evening to help me shift everything outside.
    mheredge said:

It is fine if you have a car, which I don't have. Fortunately Nice is very good about removing large items that are unwanted. I am getting rid of lots of things and the town hall will be sending the rubbish collectors on Friday. A friend is coming round tomorrow evening to help me shift everything outside.

Yes, my partner and I have a car each, so there have been many times where we have both been out delivering things at the same time!
    I was able to not only get rid of the stuff that was useless, but my friend was able to take a few things that might have some use. She has an old dog, so the scrap of carpet I was throwing out was perfect for the dog to sit on.