Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What do you think about call centres?

MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 6 in Work and Money
I believe all of us have had an experience with call centres. For instance, when we need technical support, or when we want to buy a product or service, also for any issue related to our purchase, here is when we make a call for assistance. Although we have several options to get customer service and a phone call seems unnecessary, there is a point when speaking to a real person is the only way we feel more comfortable. However, a phone call could be a unique good or bad experience ever.

But what about the agents? Who cares about their jobs and the world inside these companies?
Is this a temporary job? or do they have real opportunities to growth their careers?

As these type of companies have grown in the last ten years, complaints have increased at a higher pace. High stress levels, shifting schedules, monotonous work and poor salaries, are some of the employees’ claims.

So, what do you think about call centres?
Post edited by Teach on
Tagged:

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,158 mod
    I prefer online support to actually making a phone call. When using the phone you often get placed in a "queue" and have to listen to that awful lift music they seem to insist on playing. I know the people who answer the online support are working in the same kind of place, but somehow it seems to work more smoothly.

My last experience was with HP support. I initiated contact using their online service, and eventually they called me to talk on the phone. It worked a treat.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I read a hilarious book written by someone who worked in a call centre in India.

I did however have an extremely good experience with Total (electricity and gas supply ) in France whose call centre in Morocco was really good. The girls working there were incredibly helpful and friendly.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think they are good sometimes, but it is very important that you can speak the language of who you are speaking to. Sometimes the UK has call centres overseas and you can hardly tell what is being said on the other end. Their English isn't as good as everyone's on here!!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    edited February 7
    I wish someone works in a call center here. They could tell us more how it works. I've no insight at all.

Tomorrow I'll have to call the tax office and I know I will land in a queue, but before I get to the right person I'll have to listen to a few questions - they can last long - and then I have to put the right number in my phone. I really wonder what kind of music they have to offer for the people waiting.

I'm not a fan of cell centers, but I fear that people who have to wait aren't often nice to the working people ther

----------------------------------------

Apparently I was wrong with my input here. Thanks to Marianne I know now what it's meant, I just mistook the topic.

Post edited by Hermine on
    @Hermine call centres are being used to help people with all sorts of things, from problems with their services like gas and electricity to after sales customer services. Quite often they're operating from foreign countries which can speak the same language. So call centres supporting the UK, India is an obvious choice.
  • LucasSLucasS Posts: 8
    edited February 7
    @Monik I think it's a complex question. Currently I work for a big and foreign company of Customer Service and Support industry, and a lot of people get promoted every year, but it's just not enough for everybody, because everyone want to get promoted, but there's no vacant job for all.

At the same time we are stressed out because of new process and deadlines, customer expectations and company expectations and personal expectations, so we have to decide, what we want to do in our lifes, about our acompplishments.

So is that work just part of a long way of carrer transition or we love work with?

We have to decide, I think it's has to be a temporary job, because all of us dream to be much better tomorrow than we are today.
    I think some call centres must be very stressful, especially when the service is helping people with problems. It's all too easy to vent and take it out on the person at the end of the line.

It's probably almost as bad when the call centre is selling too, as no doubt they all have targets to reach and their jobs are on the line if they don't deliver.

I get so many calls in France of companies trying to sell me this that and the other that generally I ignore calls from numbers I don't know.
    I am always nice to the person at the other end as much as possible, because I know the stress they can be under with some calls.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    All in all, I've had a quite positive experience with call centres so far. Especially when I have a problem to get solved, I don't mind waiting in a queue for some time. It's different, though, when I recieve a call from a bank trying to sell me a product that I'm not interested in. I might become even a bit snippy with a caller but most of the time I just hang up. I know it's rude but it's just a waste of my time.
    I was a bit snippy with the internet provider calling me to tell me that I have fibre in my building and can change to this. A few months ago when I moved in I wasted a lot of time trying to convince them that it was in the building as this is what I already had at my last place. I can't be bothered now, especially since my laptop doesn't support 5G.
    edited February 11
    Do belong surveys also among phones calls from call centers?

If yes, then I'd have a question for them, in fact: why do they always call us around noon? Don't they know that this is the time a day where people eat or have a nap or do just rest.

I think it is impolite to call a person between 12 and 1.00pm o.clock, if it isn't necessary or important. Surely they could assume the person is at home at that time, but anyway.

I always don't be snippy to them, because they just do their job, I could blame their bosses though.
    Post edited by Hermine on
    For me any time of day is inconvenient @Hermine. I suppose they think if they call at lunch time, people who are working might have time to speak to them.
    Vok said:

All in all, I've had a quite positive experience with call centres so far. Especially when I have a problem to get solved, I don't mind waiting in a queue for some time. It's different, though, when I recieve a call from a bank trying to sell me a product that I'm not interested in. I might become even a bit snippy with a caller but most of the time I just hang up. I know it's rude but it's just a waste of my time.

I don't mind waiting in a queue so long as I don't have to pay for it, but I know some phone numbers start charging you even when you aren't talking to anyone.
    Some lines are extremely bad - like when you have to call the Inland Revenue for example, and it takes forever and you are paying a premium rate for the pleasure of having to listen to their dumb music.
    mheredge said:

Some lines are extremely bad - like when you have to call the Inland Revenue for example, and it takes forever and you are paying a premium rate for the pleasure of having to listen to their dumb music.

Yes, nothing's worse than having really bad music to listen to, as you can't turn it off or you might miss them picking up your call! In this day and age you'd think we would be able to choose our own music, or opt for silence.
    I suppose silence might make it harder to work out if you have been cut off. The worst thing is when you wait for ages and then get cut off and have to start all over again.
    mheredge said:

I suppose silence might make it harder to work out if you have been cut off. The worst thing is when you wait for ages and then get cut off and have to start all over again.

If you're on an iPhone you would get a sound if you had been cut off. Or perhaps you could have a voice saying "thanks for waiting" every so often so you know you're still on the line.
    I just downloaded Sudoku onto my phone but I think I might have to remove it as I can see myself wasting an awful lot of time playing!
    mheredge said:

I just downloaded Sudoku onto my phone but I think I might have to remove it as I can see myself wasting an awful lot of time playing!

I really like Sudokus, but I have to set it to an easier level, as I find myself getting too frustrated if it is quite a difficult one that I can't really work out.
    and I thought this is a section where we've serious talks about call centers. :)
    I'm sorry this might be my fault @Hermine. I thought I was commenting on the mobile phone topic. However with the length of time sometimes needed to wait for someone to respond, relieving the boredom with a puzzle might be a way to reduce impatience!
    Hermine said:

and I thought this is a section where we've serious talks about call centers. :)

I also thought I was looking at the mobile phone discussion, but to be fair, Sudokus might be good for when you're waiting for a call centre to answer the phone!
    It seems that France uses call centres in Morocco a lot. I was chatting with a couple of French friends yesterday, and both complained about the number of call centres that called trying to sell them things.
    Has anyone of you any idea how much a caller gets paid?

Sorry both of you, I made fun about your conversation.
    Do they get paid for how many phone chunks they make or is the time paid?
    I expect they get paid a small amount but then get paid an additional commission on the number of calls they make, and sales made @Hermine.

Though maybe there's slightly less pressure on help-lines. But they're probably still paid on the number of calls they've handled.
    Hermine said:

Has anyone of you any idea how much a caller gets paid?

Sorry both of you, I made fun about your conversation.

I think it depends on the kind of call centre. I was offered a job in one once and the rate was £8.52 per hour.
    That doesn't sound as if it even makes the minimum wage @GemmaRowlands!
  • tinchocabtinchocab Posts: 7
    I too prefer online support. I always contact by some kind of chat, though yesterday I tried to contact DirecTV but they remplaced his online support to bots... beacouse I needed an human interaction I called on the phone and... guess what? it was a bot too :( :( :(
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,158 mod
    Bots are taking over the world.