Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Holidays

mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
Where did you last go to for your holidays? Where would you like to go for you next holiday?

Do you prefer to travel solo or with a group or with friends?

Do you like to go off the beaten track or visit places well trodden?

Have you ever stayed in a home stay or been shown around by a local guide?

What type of holiday do you like best?

Let's talk about holidays here.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03, @aza, @nidhii, @Reem, @april

off the beaten track
    solo
    home stay or homestay
    self-catering
    B & B - bed and breakfast
    thermal baths
    local guides
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,951 mod
    I have only really been on holiday in the UK for the last few years as I haven't had the money to fly, although there are some beautiful places to see here, so it doesn't really matter.
    You can travel to many places in Europe very cheaply @GemmaRowlands, especially if you look out for cheap flights and don't mind travelling light.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,877 mod
    More and more people are saying that it's about time to make flying more expensive to make holidays more ecological.
    At this moment, going by train is much more expensive than flying.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    I've been an armchair traveller since 2015. Back than it was the last time I was on a proper holiday visiting the Philippinnes. I hope this year I'll manage to get somewhere again. I'd rather opt for a more active holiday than just R&R. I'm not avert to travelling solo but it's more fun within a group, albeit not large. Also I believe to be flexible with places to go is the key. You can buy an air ticket very cheaply if you keep your eyes peeled @GemmaRowlands .
    I much prefer travelling by train @april, but usually it's so much more expensive than flying that I nearly always fly.

@Vok I prefer travelling with a purpose, so when I go to Nepal for example, there's usually something in particular that I want to do. Next time I go, the plan is to trek a few weeks. Also I am going to explore a place where tourists haven't yet started to visit. The idea is to put it on the map!
    Vok said:

I've been an armchair traveller since 2015. Back than it was the last time I was on a proper holiday visiting the Philippinnes. I hope this year I'll manage to get somewhere again. I'd rather opt for a more active holiday than just R&R. I'm not avert to travelling solo but it's more fun within a group, albeit not large. Also I believe to be flexible with places to go is the key. You can buy an air ticket very cheaply if you keep your eyes peeled @GemmaRowlands .

I know you can buy them quite cheaply, but then you have to get a hotel, and then you have buy food over there.. and I just don't have the money to spare at all at the moment. Living hand to mouth!
    This is why I stay in hostels where I can cook for myself if I want to @GemmaRowlands. This means that my food doesn't cost much different to when I'm at home and hostels in some places can be very cheap.

When I lived in London, I used to find that it was sometimes cheaper to fly somewhere on a cheap flight, stay in a hostel and not eat too extravagantly, than if I stayed in London and went out. What with transport, money spent shopping, and going out with friends in London, this cost a fortune
    mheredge said:

This is why I stay in hostels where I can cook for myself if I want to @GemmaRowlands. This means that my food doesn't cost much different to when I'm at home and hostels in some places can be very cheap.

When I lived in London, I used to find that it was sometimes cheaper to fly somewhere on a cheap flight, stay in a hostel and not eat too extravagantly, than if I stayed in London and went out. What with transport, money spent shopping, and going out with friends in London, this cost a fortune

I suppose that would make things cheaper, but then if I go on holiday I go to try and get away from everything that I need to do at home!
    Ah but that comes expensive @GemmaRowlands!

I am thinking of taking off for a few days, maybe to visit Italy. It is so close and so easy...
    mheredge said:

Ah but that comes expensive @GemmaRowlands!

I am thinking of taking off for a few days, maybe to visit Italy. It is so close and so easy...

Yes I know, I guess cheaper holidays just aren't really my thing as that's not how I would like to spend my time.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    [quote="mheredge;c-284025"]Next time I go, the plan is to trek a few weeks. Also I am going to explore a place where tourists haven't yet started to visit. The idea is to put it on the map![/quote]

You're such a trailblazer @mheredge . Watching how some countries are struggling with a good many tourists makes me thing that maybe those uncharted territories are worth leaving unspoilt?
    This is always the biggest dilemma @Vok. However I don't think huge crowds will be flocking to some of these more remote places in Nepal for a long time. The roads are rough, the flights expensive, and there are no luxury hotels. It will still be a niche market for some time to come.
    I am trying to plan a small, UK break with my family and my partner for later this year, but it is proving very difficult indeed to get everyone together at the same time, so I am not sure that it will be able to happen!
    I'm going to Italy just for the day on Friday, but I am still mulling over whether to go to Genoa for a few days in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to visiting Albisola, which is about 35 kilometres short of Genoa, and just out of Savona. Apparently it takes about an hour from Nice by road. The plan is to explore the local flavours of Italy, so this day trip is right up my street.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Lately, I did`t go anywhere, but I am planing to go soon at vacation. I planing to go to survey different places at my country such as towns, natural resources and something like that.
    walter said:

Lately, I did`t go anywhere, but I am planing to go soon at vacation. I planing to go to survey different places at my country such as towns, natural resources and something like that.

It is good to have a look at your own country, as a lot of people just take for granted what is on their doorsteps.
    @walter I think you mean 'natural environment.' Natural resources include things like gas, water, sunshine (for energy), wind and so on.
    @GemmaRowlands Yes I have, but I did`t know about this. I started to research and I realized that I can find at my country very interesting places to see.

@mheredge I thought at natural environment. Thank you for explanations.
    Which places in your country would you recommend a visitor to come to see @walter?
    walter said:

@GemmaRowlands Yes I have, but I did`t know about this. I started to research and I realized that I can find at my country very interesting places to see.

@mheredge I thought at natural environment. Thank you for explanations.

There are lots and lots of things in my country too, some are very close to me, but I have never really appreciated them because they are too familiar to me.
    You have the Lake District and North Wales both not too far away from you @GemmaRowlands. And the Peak District. You are spoilt!
    @walter I am interested to learn more about places like these. I am looking at some walking holidays in Bulgaria or Bosnia at the moment.
    @GemmaRowlands Yes we have, and I planning to start to visit and to explore them.
    @mheredge I have never been at Bulgaria, but for Bosnia I know for one place where I was and which is beautiful. That place is at next link.

http://www.etno-selo.com/en/
    mheredge said:

You have the Lake District and North Wales both not too far away from you @GemmaRowlands. And the Peak District. You are spoilt!

I love the Lake District. I try to go there at least a couple of times a year, but it's usually my luck that it's pouring down with rain when I go.
    I think Keswich is the wettest place in England @GemmaRowlands. I think it has rained on me more times than it hasn't when I've been.
  • tinchocabtinchocab Posts: 7
    my last holidays were about a month ago. Because I live in Argentina (South America) we are in summer now (summer is since December 21 until March 21) I went to Las Grutas, a city with beach inside my country and that was the first time that I saw the sea. I love it! and I hope can go again the next year but in my country the things are'nt so good economicly so I dont know if I will could do it. :neutral:
    Last holiday, I was change for work. Actually my father have a raspberry and I was help him to reading that fruit. That means that I did`t have holiday for resting. For this vacation I also planing to help them about reading raspberry, but also I want to go at some mountain. I like to travel alone, but this vacation I will go with my girlfriend. She want to go at sea, but I don`t like very much sea. I like more vacation at mountain than vacation at sea. I hope that we find some compromises about where we will go.