Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭

I actually don't like swimming when there are other people in the pool, as I prefer to be able to swim in a straight line rather than having to swim around people.

Yes, one needs some space to do swimming as an exercise what can be a problem in a public pool here, especially in popular hours.
    March 8 is a holiday here, so we used the 3 days long weekend to spend time in our country house. Yesterday I located and fixed a gas leak in the gas reservoir's fittings with a leak detector I had rented. Owning a house here requires doing some DIY jobs.

As the temperature swings around 0 C, the snow melts and freezes turning to ice making some places on the paths especially slippery. So I had to break the ice with an iron bar today.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    oh it would be fun watching the cars drift on ice but it can be dangerous also. @Practical_Severard
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    [quote="Practical_Severard;c-285064"] Owning a house here requires doing some DIY jobs.[/quote]
    That's why I don't want to live in a house. It's too much hustle and it's way easier in a block of flats.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,080 mod
    Hi Vok, I think you meant "hassle".
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,080 mod
    @GemmaRowlands - You would love swimming in Germany. In the larger pools it is lane swimming only, and they even have a fast lane and a slow lane. :D
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    @Teach yes, it's a spelling mistake.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually I would really hate it if music were played at the pool @GemmaRowlands. There's no way they would be able to find music to suit all taste. Fortunately this is one thing they don't do! Music is very personal and to be honest, I prefer to listen to what I like in the privacy of my own home and not in public places.

But at least in the pool here everyone swims in straight lines, up and down. The children have their own corner where they can do what they like but most of the pool is divided into lanes for the more serious swimmers.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    @Shishio13 Welcome back. I also did`t writing here maybe about nearly two months, but I again back here. What is your job when you can to work at home?
    I'm about to head off to attend the opera at the beautiful opera house in Nice. I'm not even sure what is being performed but I have only been once before and want to go as much to just enjoy being inside this lovely building!

edited March 12
    Vok said:

[quote="Practical_Severard;c-285064"] Owning a house here requires doing some DIY jobs.[/quote]

That's why I don't want to live in a house. It's too much hustle and it's way easier in a block of flats.

I think it's a reasonable choice, though living in a house means far more private space which has its value especially if you like to play a musical instrument, keep pets or have a DIY hobby. In my case it's a country house so we can enjoy clean air and nature there. The last, but not least thing that should mention is that I have developed an affinity for this house after I have spent 7 years of time and income on it, even though I didn't work on it myself, except for a few finishing jobs. And still a lot of work ahead.
    My dream would have been to have a tiny house with a little garden, but the reality in Nice is that you really have to be in the country or out in the farthest suburbs which wouldn't suit me at all. I love being able to walk to everywhere I want to go. I am very lucky in having great neighbours in my apartment block.
    mheredge said:

My dream would have been to have a tiny house with a little garden, but the reality in Nice is that you really have to be in the country or out in the farthest suburbs which wouldn't suit me at all. I love being able to walk to everywhere I want to go. I am very lucky in having great neighbours in my apartment block.

A small fishing village maybe? Are there in such places some place to tale walks?
    @mheredge I living in house which are away about 6 kilometers of centers town. Also I have yard which is enclosed by beautiful fence. Nevertheless my dream is to live in centers of town and to live in flat, and in house in which I living now with my parents and with my brother to be a weekend cottage.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,951 mod
    Shishio13 said:

Hello everybody. Long time without post something here, my account was even suspended. My bad :lol:

Now I'm living and working in my home county but I hope to go to live in Germany next year so I have to try to improve my English asap.

Hello it is good to see you again, and I hope that you manage to go and live in Germany like you are aiming to.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 150 ✭✭
    @walter I'm a software developer, boring but I really like my job and bring home the bacon jajajja
    @GemmaRowlands Thanks for the good wishes. I just have to improve more my English :pensive:
    @Shishio13 Why do you think is your job boring? I think that is very interesting job where you can to learn always something new. I started to learn alone, but I stuck and I realize that is not profession for me. I learned html and css, but javascript is so difficult for me.
    edited March 13
    An evening of troubles over the 737MAX issue, a daughter's flight with FlyDubai was on one of them. Luckily, the UAE watchdog grounded this type "until further notice" so the company had to change the plane for now, at least. The missus had a bad sleep this night though. We texted the daughter to book another flight, but it was night in Sri-Lanka. Rosaviation hasn't banned using this type, but the only Russian airline having them in its fleet has parked them for now.
    I hope your daughter doesn't have any problems getting home @Practical_Severard. To be honest, I never take much notice of the type of plane I fly on.
    edited March 13
    mheredge said:

I hope your daughter doesn't have any problems getting home @Practical_Severard. To be honest, I never take much notice of the type of plane I fly on.

That's unlikely. She's to fly back only on March 23. With all this fuss, when a half of the world has grounded the plane, it's difficult to stay indifferent.
    Shishio13 said:

@walter I'm a software developer, boring but I really like my job and bring home the bacon jajajja

@GemmaRowlands Thanks for the good wishes. I just have to improve more my English :pensive:

Do you get to work from home sometimes or do you have to go to an office? I like working from home as it gives me a lot of freedom.
    Quite a few of the Nomad friends I meet up with who all work from home are techies @Shishio13. We meet up as working from home all the time can sometimes be a bit isolated. For me it is a good excuse to have a coffee with a fun group of people.
    edited March 13
    I think people should put the activities sometimes on shuffle and I agree with @mheredge that work from home can lead to solitude but it can really turn out to be useful if you're preparing some project or for an exam.

Dear Diary,
    The days are getting hotter as June-July approach and for relief the office has provided us interns with sports like table tennis and carrom but still the heat can't be tolerated, although it has relieved me because there is one good thing summer has bought me THE ICE cream.
    Don't eat too much ice cream @ech0pandit - it will slow you down when you are playing table tennis! What is carrom?

It's another beautiful day, and today I am determined to get out. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself yesterday as my wrist is playing up (tendinitis). Since the only solution is to immobilise it and being right handed, this makes me feel very frustrated.

I think people should put the activities sometimes on shuffle and I agree with @mheredge that work from home can lead to solitude but it can really turn out to be useful if you're preparing some project or for an exam.

Dear Diary,

The days are getting hotter as June-July approach and for relief the office has provided us interns with sports like table tennis and carrom but still the heat can't be tolerated, although it has relieved me because there is one good thing summer has bought me THE ICE cream.

I always work from home and find that I can get a lot more done sometimes because I don't have the distraction of having anyone else around me.
    I can manage to work in places where I don't know anyone, so working in a cafe can work well for me too. Sometimes this is better as then I only focus on work and don't get distracted by housework or the kitchen.
    @mheredge kitchen really? besides all of the things kitchen distracts you? haha. I am mostly distracted by games and other sports a carrom is a board game with black and white coins and a red one which is generally called the queen.
    mheredge said:

I can manage to work in places where I don't know anyone, so working in a cafe can work well for me too. Sometimes this is better as then I only focus on work and don't get distracted by housework or the kitchen.

Yes, I have been working elsewhere a few days this week and I agree that it is great without the distraction of any kind of housework that needs to be done.
    I have just found a lovely little cafe-library-bookshop around the corner from my flat that has wifi and it seems if I want to spend a few hours working there, that I would be very welcome. Next week I'm going to try it out.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge said:

I have just found a lovely little cafe-library-bookshop around the corner from my flat that has wifi and it seems if I want to spend a few hours working there, that I would be very welcome. Next week I'm going to try it out.

It seems nice such a cafe-library-bookshop! Here in my city these caffees regulary come outward, but after a while they are closed again. Maybe the huge rents are the cause, all shops(mostly clothing stores) complain about this problem in the city!